Dealing with people who spam their jab

RR010V

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I was recently sparring (boxing) with a guy that just almost only threw jabs. I never had to deal with this before so I got punished. He only threw his punches as counterpunches or when I tried to come close, When I didn't do anything, neither did he. I know how to handle this with kickboxing sparring or with MMA sparring but with just boxing I just never experienced that before. any tips on how to approach these types of fighters are appreciated

It's tough, depending on his skills vs yours. Does he have a longer reach? An active jab can be a hard thing to deal with.

If he get's predictable with it, try parrying it with your rear hand and countering with your own jab. You can also either slip the outside and throw your own jab, or try to time it and slip to the inside and throw an overhand over it. Just keep the punch light.

You can't let him dictate the pace with it, so parry or slip and keep trying to touch him back and change the distance.

Ultimately it comes down to how many tools you have.

Also if he only throws when you throw, try to bait him into the jab and then counter.

1) Step to his outside, and get the angles on him.

2) Circle to his power side to avoid the jab but you risk eating power shots.

active parry and step forward and to your right.(by active parry i mean parry as you are moving forward so instead of just catching it you redirect it over your left shoulder, marciano style.)

Move off the line with him and throw your strike.

I like body cross, to lead upper. If it lands great, but the point was for me to ring cut, and disrupt his rhythm so it works either way for me.

When in doubt, GnP

chin down only give him the top of your head throw power shots with a slip to counter his power counters

side to side slipping on the way in like Tyson

I like doing this in MT sparring when people try to post their arm out. Throw a hook to the outside of their elbow joint.
Arm damage is a real thing despite not being prioritized.

Seen a dude block a headkick with a tight guard, and still have his arm fractured

Arm damage is a real thing despite not being prioritized.

Seen a dude block a headkick with a tight guard, and still have his arm fractured

That's why if I have to block a head kick, I prefer the wing block with the receiving side arm and the palm of the other hand also absorbing some of the kick. Then again, if both hands are on that side, you're vulnerable to something else but most guys can't throw something damaging at the same time as bringing their leg back from a blocked head kick...

Basically this, but with the left guard up higher and the right hand higher and closer to the other hand:

IMG_6179a.jpg

Last edited:
That's why if I have to block a head kick, I prefer the wing block with the receiving side arm and the palm of the other hand also absorbing some of the kick. Then again, if both hands are on that side, you're vulnerable to something else but most guys can't throw something damaging at the same time as bringing their leg back from a blocked head kick...

Basically this, but with the left guard up higher and the right hand higher and closer to the other hand:

IMG_6179a.jpg
lol @ The ref's facial expression

if you know what punch is he going to throw at you *the jab" after you punch him, than your good to do any counter you want.

Keep the rear hand up and hand more open and out to be there to automatically catch the jab, Jam his jab up then jab him to death in return

Also if he only throws when you throw, try to bait him into the jab and then counter.

This is the simplest answer. If he's that predicable, just feint your shot and when he throws slip and counter. You can always counter to the body if you're having trouble finding the head off the slip, just duck under and throw your cross.

So like do I hold the duck in my other arm while I jab him to the body or do you mean I ram the duck into his body with my jabbing hand ???
Yea, the duck distracts them and it sets up teh jab nicely.

Then after you win, you can eat the duck after. You know... post-workout protein and all that

Back