Dealing with jealousy from others

7even

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I have been on the Atkins diet for awhile. I shred off my body fat, got ripped, and I'm felling very confident with myself. However, My friends/ co-workers are telling me that it is unhealthy and that I will die. They are constantly annoying me and ranting against me on my diet. They all have a rude attitude. They have problems of thier own, but they would rather focus on my diet, which isn't even a fucking problem. When I go to a bar or restaurant with them, I usually order a steak, a Diet Coke or Vodka. They get all angry at me for not eating the french fries or drinking a beer.

To be honest, I got sick of them. I rather just go to the gym or train Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.

Am I the problem? Or do my friends just suck? Do you guys deal with a lot of negativity for being in great shape?

Last edited:
Post some pics, if you want Sherdog to decide.

Are you super vegan about it? Can you not go more than five seconds without talking about the evil that is carbs? Cause yeah, THEN youre the problem. If you lost some weight and your friends are dicks, get new friends.

Also steak and broccoli is delicious. Broccoli makes a better side over pilaf bullshit any day of the week. Don't even get me started on pasta...

Who cares, just let them laugh and get fat. Invite them to the beach and see whose laughing when it's shirts off time.

Who cares, just let them laugh and get fat. Invite them to the beach and see whose laughing when it's shirts off time.
Let's go to the beach and take our shirts off, bro. Let's get matching Sherdog F13 tattoos!

Literally laugh at them. Just look at them and focus on their weak pudgy faces and sad bodies while they're talking.

No one likes being laughed at (while also feeling inadequate), they will stop

How do we know OP isn't sporting this look?

stickman.jpg

Going to put in a different perspective here.

While people ought to support your goals and not put pressure on you, when hanging out with groups of people it can be good to do some of the same stuff as they are doing. It's basic social/bonding stuff.

That doesn't mean you have to get fat. If you've hit your target weight, you could dump Atkins and start tracking your macros. Then, if you think you are going to go out with people, try to free up some calories so that you can have a beer or a few fries. Or even if you do go over by a few hundred calories, get it back over the following days. You can even tell people- "usually I don't eat this stuff, but I'll just have one".

While I'm no groundhog expert, AFAIK low carb diets aren't ideal anyway. Carbs are the best way for your body to produce fuel for bodily movement. Your liver can do it using protein, but it puts a pointless strain on it (given that you can acheive identical weight loss goals without cutting them entirely.) Again, AFAIK the best thing to do with carbs is to eat just enough but not too much, not to cut them entirely.

I have been on the Atkins diet for awhile. I shred off my body fat, got ripped, and I'm felling very confident with myself. However, My friends/ co-workers are telling me that it is unhealthy and that I will die. They are constantly annoying me and ranting against me on my diet. They all have a rude attitude. They have problems of thier own, but they would rather focus on my diet, which isn't even a fucking problem. When I go to a bar or restaurant with them, I usually order a steak, a Diet Coke or Vodka. They get all angry at me for not eating the french fries or drinking a beer.

To be honest, I got sick of them. I rather just go to the gym or train Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.

Am I the problem? Or do my friends just suck? Do you guys deal with a lot of negativity for being in great shape?

You should kick your friends asses and fuck their wives with your big cok

Again, AFAIK the best thing to do with carbs is to eat just enough but not too much, not to cut them entirely.

Well not all carbs are created equal. For the usual suspects (rice, pasta, bread) that's a good statement, but if the carbs are high quality (vegetables, fruits, whole grains too) there's not much of a problem eating them. On the other hand, sugar should be kept to the bare minimum.

But my advice to the OP would be to forget about this or that diet, and to learn to eat healthy, and that's includes a vast arrange of foods. Because eating a stake, diet coke and vodka isn't healthy at all. I don't know exactly how you eat so I can't comment much on that anyway.

So... maybe your friends kinda suck but kinda have a point too. And it's great that you have a goal, are focus and making progress, but the way you go about your diet maybe has room for improvement.

What Jaunty says too.

Edit: between vodka and beer there's really no good alternative, but beer has 1/8 of the alcohol of vodka... so that would be a less crappy option.

Last edited:
You do have to suck it up a bit. You're going to feed into any negative feedback you get by getting all emo about it. If you are awesome and still improving, why is the opinion of any fat, out of shape person of consequence to you?

If you're dieting for acceptance from others, you're going to fail. People suck at being gracious and decent. You must have your own approval and appreciation. That's where it has to come from -- you. Then it's so much easier to exude confidence and contentment. And it's hard for people to sit in judgement of someone who is both awesome and comfortable in their own skin.

Going to put in a different perspective here.

While people ought to support your goals and not put pressure on you, when hanging out with groups of people it can be good to do some of the same stuff as they are doing. It's basic social/bonding stuff.

That doesn't mean you have to get fat. If you've hit your target weight, you could dump Atkins and start tracking your macros. Then, if you think you are going to go out with people, try to free up some calories so that you can have a beer or a few fries. Or even if you do go over by a few hundred calories, get it back over the following days. You can even tell people- "usually I don't eat this stuff, but I'll just have one".

While I'm no groundhog expert, AFAIK low carb diets aren't ideal anyway. Carbs are the best way for your body to produce fuel for bodily movement. Your liver can do it using protein, but it puts a pointless strain on it (given that you can acheive identical weight loss goals without cutting them entirely.) Again, AFAIK the best thing to do with carbs is to eat just enough but not too much, not to cut them entirely.
Matt Ogus has some awesome macro breakdowns and diet videos when he's cutting, and the dude eats 3 to 4 hundred carbs. I did low carb for a long time and I lost a ton of weight, but carbs are not your enemy, especially if you're in the gym 3 hours are day, 4 days are week like I was.

You deserve the negative attention. Atkins and zero carb diets are hands down the worst ways to lose weight if you're not morbidly obese and/or can't exercise. It's a close second worse ahead of bulimia and anorexia.

It can be acceptable if used in an undulating diet, where you can eat like an actual human occasionally. Used that way you could also enjoy good food with your friends on occasion and avoid any negative attention.

Your friends should be a bit more open minded, but also perhaps you should too. French fries while tasty are just garbage food. A baked potato however.... nom.

Just fit it into the macro allowance. If your macro allowance is 20g carb, this is stupid. When in ketosis you should be aiming to eat the most amount of carbs while not kicking yourself out. I deal with this on a weekly basis with ketoers and a few are suffering from rhabdo even.
You can eat low carb/keto and still make room for carbs/fun carbs and lose/maintain weight. If i don't tell people i'm low carb (sub 100g) you couldn't tell by looking at my diet; yesterday's work lunch was zuchini and bell peppers with onions and chicken with salt and pepper, and an orange because i'm on an orange kick. Healthy foods, filling, abundant in a multitude of micro nutrients etc.

People tend to fuck these diets up by being too anal and restrictively tight around it.

Diets/lifestyle changes shouldn't be inherently restrictive too often, this creates relapsing patterns (and even deficiencies if you're not eating a wide variety of food). If you have an iron will, have at it.

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

Why tf do they get angry over what you eat?
Sounds like some dumbass friends. Tell them to eat a dk

I prefer to be alone rather than suck up that attitude but thats my preference,seems that you prefer otherwise, no pproblem.

They aren't necessarily not friends, just inmature. Sometimes I get envious too but I dont make critiques based on that feeling, because Im an adult and I have control over my emotions /impulses

The answer is you can't do nothing, the people you are with are inmature maybe time could solve that, not always.. You can mock their attitude to reverse the hating as a social game tho

Back