Dealing with better than average wrestlers Kesa Gatame

BCNASH

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Lately, I have been having an issue with the above average wrestlers I am teaching and training with while deployed overseas. I have been working with them and they are getting really good really quickly. I myself have been training for 6 years, and have several injuries in the last few years I am still not 100% recovered from. All these guys know is redline, balls to the wall when they roll and I have a fresh pulled groin to stack on top of my other injuries.

They are also extremely strong and all of them outweigh me by at least 30-50 lbs. I have been getting stuck with some of them in the Kesa Gatame position, and have been trying to work my escapes (hook the outer leg and come up, hook outer leg and roll them over, get my hips underneath and roll them, frame and hip escape) but they are very solid in the position from that being their go-to pin throughout their times wrestling. I am looking to see if any of my fellow grapplers have any tricks up their sleeves I can work on.

EDIT: I also taught them bent and straight armbars with their legs and the Barnett choke he used on Lister at Metamoris, so those are their go-to moves from there

Last edited:
The trick is to put more reps in and be a more talented than he is.

Also uphill turn.

If you can turn to face him and pull your inside elbow to the ground, you can sometimes scramble on your side like homer simpson until you hook your leg over their leg. I think people call it "free your head."

Sometimes they will scramble in a circle away from you, and that makes it easier to bridge them over.

Most people think the uphill turn is money. The one I described is the one I do the best with. The key is getting your elbow to the mat. If you can't, and they aren't making mistakes, it can be very difficult.

If you can turn to face him and pull your inside elbow to the ground, you can sometimes scramble on your side like homer simpson until you hook your leg over their leg. I think people call it "free your head."

Sometimes they will scramble in a circle away from you, and that makes it easier to bridge them over.

Most people think the uphill turn is money. The one I described is the one I do the best with. The key is getting your elbow to the mat. If you can't, and they aren't making mistakes, it can be very difficult.

This is the one I usually go with, and I can go up and get to their back while trapping one of their arms behind their back police style. Either that or hook the leg the same and trap the other leg, cradling them like a baby and sweeping to the top. Unfortunately, after a few weeks of me catching this every single time they figured it out and are adjusting. The fight to get my elbow down sucks, as I go about 170 and they go anywhere from 210-230. My technique has to be perfect or I can't get to where I want because they are soo damn strong

If you let a good wrestler lock in that pin and he's got 40 pounds on you, you'll be there until he decides to move or makes a mistake.

Yeah, what kind of parents bring their kids to a place like that?

Get that inside elbow to the floor asap, if you can't bear hug to protect the isolated arm.

Either way, inch worm your hips away from is until you can get to your knees, or throw your leg over his head for the reversal.

The
Get that inside elbow to the floor asap, if you can't bear hug to protect the isolated arm.

Either way, inch worm your hips away from is until you can get to your knees, or throw your leg over his head for the reversal.

The leg over the head isn't a real escape. It's just a warning to teach people where to put their head when doing kesa.

To serviceman overseas, perhaps my new Playlist can help, and cert. my grappling stuff is way more geared towards combatives than most.
I have just compiled things into basically 18 40min-1 Hour Videos (plus 3 Combat Jiu-jitsu ones on my other Channel) that cover most of what you need in any position or situation (and works not only in sporting setting but as ESSENTIALLY works well in MMA or Street situations against tough athletic fighters-the GJJ/BJJ I learned back then is a lot different then some of the sport only stuff taught today-shouldn't it work in all situations?). A True System of systematically looking at each position that is free for all to learn with tons of techniques many don't know and compiling all the best technique options in each position. Check out my Seminar playlist and I hope you enjoy and eventually Sub. Heavy Riding,best Bio-mechanics, Submissions from any position, all subs allowed is the staple of my system. To not take advantage to learn the knowledge I have compiled destroying my body of what works against the best most explosive athletic tough UFC/MMA fighters in the world because of some haters that don't understand I have studied BJJ since Jan 1997 along with Catch and other grappling arts would be a shame. Add to your game and overall knowledge.
Cheers, and thanks for your service

I hope u will find more than you could even what about Kesa here
These 6 escapes put together on vid is damn popular for peeps with similar problems

This is new compiles everything

Fight to get the elbow of your trapped arm to the ground, then with your free arm grab the near side collar and stiff arm him causing a reversal.

I am pretty good at escaping pins. When I teach escapes I start teaching kesa gatame itself first, showing most common mistakes people are making: hip on the ground, elbow on the ground, legs in wrong positions, body in a wrong position, etc. Once we perfected the kesa guy starts seeing opponent's mistakes and using the right escape for that mistake. Every kesa escape works when used at the right moment :)

For instance, leg hook escape you mentioned. This will work well when guy does not control your sleeve and keeps his hips on the floor. Then you can turn to your shoulder and hook his leg.
Roll over works when opponent either overcommited and put weight too far on your chest, or his body is parallel to yours. This is opposite to previous.

Next step is combining two escapes. If you want to do leg hook - do roll over first. If you want to do roll over - push him away as if you are trying to turn to the side for leg hook and then switch to roll over when he starts pushing back to counter your move.

On the next level you are continuously switching between two escapes: roll over -> leg hook -> roll over -> leg hook -> until guy makes a mistake and your escape works.

If I meet really good guy I tap. Worked every time.

In competitive judo, the uphill escape is almost the only one that works, statistically. I saw a compilation of international judo statistics once, and basically you either got out with the uphill escape or you got pinned.

Other stuff is fine to play with in practice, but in real matches you gotta be realistic and rip that elbow down while turning in and working the head out.

The

The leg over the head isn't a real escape. It's just a warning to teach people where to put their head when doing kesa.

I'm a brown belt with over 12 years of experience, maybe you're doing it wrong?

I'm a brown belt with over 12 years of experience, maybe you're doing it wrong?

Most BJJ players have terrible scarf holds. It isn't a move that works against a good scarf hold.

Leg over is on the same level as the arm bar escape where you wait till the last second and then jerk your arm out.

Most BJJ players have terrible scarf holds. It isn't a move that works against a good scarf hold.

Leg over is on the same level as the arm bar escape where you wait till the last second and then jerk your arm out.

Most "experienced submission grapplers" are aware that the scarf hold is a sub par position that's usually a last ditch effort to control an opponent that's about to escape out the side door with an underhook. It leaves your opponents hips completely free to move around.

You don't just throw a leg over his head and hope he's dumb enough not to shrug it off.
You inch worm your hips away from his and launch them off the ground and up towards his head as you throw your leg over, forcing him to either carry your lower body weight to keep from being reversed, or he has to bury his head on the mat to avoid the leg.
In which case he just gave you enough space to get to your knees.

Your welcome, for the free technical breakdown of this "fake" move.

Lots of good stuff here guys, I will have to work with it to see if I can expand my escapes a little more from that position (none of us brought a GI overseas with us, BTW. anything I need a collar grip for I cant us until I get back to the US)

Most "experienced submission grapplers" are aware that the scarf hold is a sub par position that's usually a last ditch effort to control an opponent that's about to escape out the side door with an underhook. It leaves your opponents hips completely free to move around.

You don't just throw a leg over his head and hope he's dumb enough not to shrug it off.
You inch worm your hips away from his and launch them off the ground and up towards his head as you throw your leg over, forcing him to either carry your lower body weight to keep from being reversed, or he has to bury his head on the mat to avoid the leg.
In which case he just gave you enough space to get to your knees.

Your welcome, for the free technical breakdown of this "fake" move.

Narcissistic injury begets narcissistic rage.

Back