Locked DEADPOOL 2 Thread v.1 (First Poster Released)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the second film doesn't live up to the hype (which it almost certainly wont) Reynolds will be shouldering 100% of the blame.

If the second film doesn't live up to the hype (which it almost certainly wont) Reynolds will be shouldering 100% of the blame.

Nothing new, he does it for Green Lantern, with it (GL) being none of his fault.

He'll bounce back in no time. If that happens, which i doubt.

Phew. I figured "creative differences" meant Reynolds got a big head from the success and became a primadonna, but this is IMO the best case scenario.

Miller did well but the last thing the sequel needs is to become another bloated superhero tentpole. I'm sure they can find a capable director with visual flair to fill his shoes.

A character like Deadpool I think a lot more of it goes with the actor than anything the director can do.
The actor gets most of the credit because the actor is the single most recognizable thing in a film, excepting Tilda Swinton. But yeah, totally crucial. Which is why after GREEN LANTERN and the first WOLVERINE zero people had faith in Ryan Reynolds. Now, he's considered the alpha and omega. What changed?

It's kind of sad that you're right.

Why can't we have shiny things AND creativity?
False syllogism. Plenty of low budget movies suck.

The actor gets most of the credit because the actor is the single most recognizable thing in a film, excepting Tilda Swinton. But yeah, totally crucial. Which is why after GREEN LANTERN and the first WOLVERINE zero people had faith in Ryan Reynolds. Now, he's considered the alpha and omega. What changed?.

Well......the character. Duh. Deadpool IS the alpha/omega as far as heroes Reynolds can play without folks cringing.

Ryan has the muscles and athleticism to look the part, but everything winds up being a damn joke. That's why folks bag on his Blade and Green Lantern roles. In Wolverine, they just outright screwed the character up trying to put a new spin on it.

I also think Reynolds' passion for this character being done right is why the first film was such a success. So why stray from the formula that finally got the public to accept him in a hero role.

The actor gets most of the credit because the actor is the single most recognizable thing in a film, excepting Tilda Swinton. But yeah, totally crucial. Which is why after GREEN LANTERN and the first WOLVERINE zero people had faith in Ryan Reynolds. Now, he's considered the alpha and omega. What changed?

Not sure how many times i have to say/write this.

It's not RR fault. Neither the Green fart catastrophe nor the abomination-pool thing. Both were plagued by shitty script, poor plot, crappy directing and overall bad choices.

If people didn't have faith in him, he wouldn't make more movies. Heads of studios just wouldn't allow him. Some of them really phenomenal such as Voices and Buried. Both a pretty big step away in terms of characters for RR.

I had faith in him after the first Wolverine because prior to the slight timeskip that was in movie (ie, before they sealed his mouth) you could feel bits and pieces of what makes Deadpool Deadpool in his portrayal of Wade.

Green Lantern I saw it and while he sucked, well, fucking everyone including Mark Strong who almost NEVER sucks so I wrote that up to DC being shite.

Not sure how many times i have to say/write this.
I'm not saying it was his fault, nor did I ever believe it. I'm talking about general perception. You can't tell me he didn't bear the brunt of pillory while on the road to DEADPOOL.

My point is the film wouldn't have been as good without both him AND the director. The director for providing a streamlined look at a low cost, and Reynolds for being both the face of it and single-handedly marketing the entire show. All this back and forth is fine, but discounting the importance of the director seems misadvised.

Most of the post production effects were done by his studio for free.

They of course made up for it by making all the money in the box office, but still.
Did they? I am overjoyed at this notion of profit-sharing but since special effects is usually work-for-hire I have a hard time believing DEADPOOL profits trickled down to the worker bees. What kind of slice did they get?

I'm not saying it was his fault, nor did I ever believe it. I'm talking about general perception. You can't tell me he didn't bear the brunt of pillory while on the road to DEADPOOL.

My point is the film wouldn't have been as good without both him AND the director. The director for providing a streamlined look at a low cost, and Reynolds for being both the face of it and single-handedly marketing the entire show. All this back and forth is fine, but discounting the importance of the director seems misadvised.

Well of course he's going to take the fault, it's not like studio is going to say "Hey, we made poor judgement calls which we'll probably make again in the bound-to-happen reboot". It's easier for them to place the blame on Ryan, him being the face for the movie. That's why i make it a point to teach people that it's not his fault :)

Regarding the other point, we can all agree that director leaving is not a good thing. All movies are the collective work of everyone working on them, from actors, to studios, to writers to producers and directors. What i think most people here think, is that if one has to go due to "creative differences", we'd rather take RR and writers to stay. I don't think anyone is propagating the idea that the director is not important or necessary.

Last edited:
I had faith in him after the first Wolverine because prior to the slight timeskip that was in movie (ie, before they sealed his mouth) you could feel bits and pieces of what makes Deadpool Deadpool in his portrayal of Wade.

Green Lantern I saw it and while he sucked, well, fucking everyone including Mark Strong who almost NEVER sucks so I wrote that up to DC being shite.

No way in hell was Mark Strong shit as Sinestro. he was the only good thing in that movie like Liev Schriber as Sabretooth in Origins. though Strong had both the character and look down.

Last edited:
No way in hell was Mark Strong shit as Sinestro. he was the only good thing in that movie like Liev Schriber as Sabretooth in Origins. though Strong had both the character and look down.
Strong did well but was so surrounded by shit some scenes you could tell he didn't seem to give a shit.

I really wish the people in charge of X-Men would bring Schriber back as Sabretooth as his interactions with Logan are some of the things that make Logan's character awesome.

Update: October 28, 2016

DEADPOOL 2 Director Shortlist Includes David Leitch, Drew Goddard, Magnus Martens

208gty0.jpg

One of the hottest director job openings in town is Deadpool 2, and it understandably has top emerging directors circling. While Deadline too has heard for the past few days that John Wick‘s David Leitch made a strong impression on 20th Century Fox, today’s reports that he is the clear front-runner that make his coronation imminent might be a bit too breathless.

Sources insist that while Leitch is in pole position, the studio is still meeting with shooters pitching their vision. Those names, Deadline hears, include Oscar nominated The Martian scribe Drew Goddard and up and comer Magnus Martens (Luke Cage, Banshee), among others.

Leitch had been working as a stuntman for more than 20 years before teaming with Chad Stahelski to direct 2014’s John Wick, the Keanu Reeves uber-actioner that banked 86M globally and spawned a sequel that Lionsgate started selling at Cannes the following year. Stahelski is back onboard to direct Reeves and other returning castmembers.

Goddard has been poised to make his big move as director. That was going to happen with The Martian, which he wrote, until he jumped from that project to direct his other big scripted studio pic, the supervillain-centric Amazing Spider-Man spinoff Sinister Six. Unfortunately, that wa squashed after Sony and Marvel teamed up to do the new version of Spider-Man, which Jon Watts is directing with Tom Holland as the young webslinger. Goddard also served as EP on 10 Cloverfield Lane and such TV fare as The Good Place, The Defenders Daredevil and Lost.

Norweigian Martens has directed episodes of such TV shows as Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D, Luke Cage, Power, 12 Monkeys and Banshee. He also directed the regarded Norwegian film Jackpot, which is being remade with Will Gluck directing and Mila Kunis starring.

‘Deadpool 2’ Director Search Ongoing, But No Offers Yet

Update: November 3, 2016

DEADPOOL Composer Junkie XL Leaves Sequel Due to Director's Departure

Update: November 3, 2016

DEADPOOL Composer Junkie XL Leaves Sequel Due to Director's Departure

Unfortunate that he feels that way. But Ryan Reynolds is the driving force behind Deadpool.

I loved his shit in FURY ROAD, but in DEADPOOL he could be replaced by an autotune airhorn.

Man, Deadpool 2 is having a lot of problems in pre-production. Didn't think that would be the case after the massive success of the first film.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back