Locked DEADPOOL 2 Thread v.1 (First Poster Released)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update: October 28, 2016

DEADPOOL 2 Director Shortlist Includes David Leitch, Drew Goddard, Magnus Martens

208gty0.jpg

One of the hottest director job openings in town is Deadpool 2, and it understandably has top emerging directors circling. While Deadline too has heard for the past few days that John Wick‘s David Leitch made a strong impression on 20th Century Fox, today’s reports that he is the clear front-runner that make his coronation imminent might be a bit too breathless.

Sources insist that while Leitch is in pole position, the studio is still meeting with shooters pitching their vision. Those names, Deadline hears, include Oscar nominated The Martian scribe Drew Goddard and up and comer Magnus Martens (Luke Cage, Banshee), among others.

Leitch had been working as a stuntman for more than 20 years before teaming with Chad Stahelski to direct 2014’s John Wick, the Keanu Reeves uber-actioner that banked 86M globally and spawned a sequel that Lionsgate started selling at Cannes the following year. Stahelski is back onboard to direct Reeves and other returning castmembers.

Goddard has been poised to make his big move as director. That was going to happen with The Martian, which he wrote, until he jumped from that project to direct his other big scripted studio pic, the supervillain-centric Amazing Spider-Man spinoff Sinister Six. Unfortunately, that wa squashed after Sony and Marvel teamed up to do the new version of Spider-Man, which Jon Watts is directing with Tom Holland as the young webslinger. Goddard also served as EP on 10 Cloverfield Lane and such TV fare as The Good Place, The Defenders Daredevil and Lost.

Norweigian Martens has directed episodes of such TV shows as Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D, Luke Cage, Power, 12 Monkeys and Banshee. He also directed the regarded Norwegian film Jackpot, which is being remade with Will Gluck directing and Mila Kunis starring.

‘Deadpool 2’ Director Search Ongoing, But No Offers Yet

i say let Kenneth Branaugh have a go.

I'd love to live in a reality where I can walk away from good money because my buddy also left the job lol.

Man, Deadpool 2 is having a lot of problems in pre-production. Didn't think that would be the case after the massive success of the first film.

Maybe it's a function of people failing to understand why it was successful in the first place, and trying to ride that success into entirely the wrong direction.

Honestly I don't even remember the music except for that X gunna give it to ya bs.

Honestly I don't even remember the music except for that X gunna give it to ya bs.

Really? Not even Careless whisper/Never gonna dance again?
Also, and i can't believe someone has to explain this, but there's a difference between the songs used and the score.

But yeah, the score is completely forgettable.

Sidenote: One thing i thought was really good was the song in the "where's francis?" scene, and i thought Junkie is responsible for that, but no, he's not responsible for it. So, IMO he's not going to be missed.

Really? Not even Careless whisper/Never gonna dance again?
Also, and i can't believe someone has to explain this, but there's a difference between the songs used and the score.

But yeah, the score is completely forgettable.

Sidenote: One thing i thought was really good was the song in the "where's francis?" scene, and i thought Junkie is responsible for that, but no, he's not responsible for it. So, IMO he's not going to be missed.

Seriously.

The best songs in the movie were the popular 90s and older songs. It has the same feel as GOTG. Part of the charm of the two movies are the use of popular hits, not some Hans Zimmer level scoring.

Seriously.

The best songs in the movie were the popular 90s and older songs. It has the same feel as GOTG. Part of the charm of the two movies are the use of popular hits, not some Hans Zimmer level scoring.

GotG is one of the few rare movie soundtracks (the only other one that comes to mind is Pulp fiction) i have playing in my car and home. It just hit the right notes, even though i'm not from that time.

One example of popular songs forced in the movie and not working with the movie i can say is Suicide squad. You could actually see they were trying to emulate the GotG thing, and they failed miserably. Good songs are worthless if you're putting them inside the movie JUST because they're good songs. Also, they were all over the place. GotG had the same feel, and all the songs formed a theme.

Seriously.

Dun! dun! du-dun! dun dun DUN! -every Zimmer score

Sorry I thought "the music" was enough to imply I meant songs and score.

Maybe it's a function of people failing to understand why it was successful in the first place, and trying to ride that success into entirely the wrong direction.
I think it's exactly this. If Deadpool was indeed the anti-Marvel blockbuster (more marketing than fact, IMO) making a bigger budget, slicker sequel is probably the wrong way to go.

I kind of wish people would pull a Whedon (like I wish Whedon had with Avengers 2) and make the sequel smaller and more personal, but I guess the profit motive kind of precludes that.

As far as directors, as much as I like John Wick I think Drew Goddard would be a better choice. I think his work on BtVS and Daredevil and Cabin in the Woods proves he can meld action, dark comedy, and brutal violence pretty well. Leitch is slick and technical but is that what a Deadpool movie demands?

Update: November 9, 2016

Fox Reportedly Developing DEADPOOL 3 Which Will Feature X-Force

Uncanny-X-Force-Greg-Land-Dragonlord.jpg

Deadpool surprised everybody this year when the scrappy. long-developed R-rated X-Men spinoff hit a home run at the box office, became a pop culture sensation, and against all expectation, earned the highest box office returns of any X-Men movie to date. Naturally, 20th Century Fox was quick to moving on the sequel, but the highly-anticipated sequel ran into some surprising turmoil when director Tim Miller dropped out over creative differences with Ryan Reynolds. Composer Junkie XL followed off the project soon after .

But according to a THR expose on the status of Fox’s X-Men empire, the studio is still full-steam ahead on the Merc with a Mouth, and they’re already developing Deadpool 3. Not only that, the third installment will reportedly feature X-Force, the team of superheroes most famously led by Deadpool’s frienemy Cable.

The creative forces behind Fox’s X-Men franchise have made it clear that X-Force is a major contender for big screen adaptation for a while now, with Reynolds in particular singling it out as a personal priority. Previous reports indicated that X-Force would receive a film of its own — a logical next step after introducing Cable in Deadpool 2, as is reportedly the plan — but it’s possible that the studio wants to hedge their bets by attaching their new team of mutants to their most popular player left in their arsenal.

Fox Is Reportedly Already Developing ’Deadpool 3’ with Plans to Feature X-Force

Update: November 18, 2016

It's Official: JOHN WICK's David Leitch is the New Director of DEADPOOL 2

David-Leitch-Deadpool-111816-Dragonlord.jpg

David Leitch, one half of the directing and stunt team behind the John Wick movies, has closed a deal to direct Fox’s Deadpool 2.

The development occurs just weeks after Fox lost Tim Miller as the director to the X-Men spin-off sequel. Miller, who was an integral part of the first movie, which opened in February this year, exited the project over "creative differences" with star Ryan Reynolds.

Leitch's name surfaced just days after Miller's exit, although the producers and studio had filmmakers such as Rupert Sanders, Drew Goddard and Magnus Martens on their to-meet list. Leitch met with Reynolds in New York and was offered the gig soon after.

At the same time, Fox and the producers are also putting into motion Deadpool 3 and will be searching for a separate filmmaker to tackle that installment.

Leitch is well versed in action movie parlance. He made his directorial debut co-directing Wick, the Keanu Reeves revenge thriller, with Chad Stahelski. Before that, however, he and Stahelski spent years as stunt coordinators and second unit directors, creating a stunt company named 87eleven.

He recently wrapped filming on his second feature, The Coldest City, a Cold War thriller starring Charlize Theron.

It's Official: 'John Wick' Director David Leitch to Helm 'Deadpool 2'

David Leitch, one half of the directing and stunt team behind the John Wick movies, has closed a deal to direct Fox’s Deadpool 2.

The development occurs just weeks after Fox lost Tim Miller as the director to the X-Men spin-off sequel. Miller, who was an integral part of the first movie, which opened in February this year, exited the project over "creative differences" with star Ryan Reynolds.

Leitch's name surfaced just days after Miller's exit, although the producers and studio had filmmakers such as Rupert Sanders, Drew Goddard and Magnus Martens on their to-meet list. Leitch met with Reynolds in New York and was offered the gig soon after.

At the same time, Fox and the producers are also putting into motion Deadpool 3 and will be searching for a separate filmmaker to tackle that installment.

Leitch is well versed in action movie parlance. He made his directorial debut co-directing Wick, the Keanu Reeves revenge thriller, with Chad Stahelski. Before that, however, he and Stahelski spent years as stunt coordinators and second unit directors, creating a stunt company named 87eleven.

He recently wrapped filming on his second feature, The Coldest City, a Cold War thriller starring Charlize Theron.

Not bad:cool:

I could get behind this so long as it doesn't have the character writing of John Wick...

That's exciting and should be good, I'm sure there will still be plenty of character development as opposed to Wick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back