De La Hoya: Gennady Golovkin's thin win doesn't increase his 'B' side value for Canelo Alvarez fight

Because hes always been on record saying he wanted to clean out and unify his division first. Kind of his shtick.
He has been on record ,GGG, that he would go up in wieght or down for a big money fight. Lets see if this is true,

It seems his fans are being very selective on what they want to rememeber what GGG says on record

Yet he was making the title fights at catchweights. Canelo rehydrates to over 170 pounds and when you hold a Middleweight title, you defend it at Middleweight. Not to mention he was trying to fight GGG at 155 which is ridiculous. He is bigger than GGG. Stop taking away the legitimacy of the division and fight at the limit.

1. 155 is within the rules of mw.
2. If fighters agrees , why should the fan be bothered
3. Loeffer had been on record saying wieght is not the issue, not sure why bring up a moot point

I never said Canelo has 3 losses. He clearly lost to Floyd. I thought he lost to Lara. He beat Trout, but I don't think highly of Trout. Two of my closest friends are Mexican and I have been watching Chavez, DLH, and Canelo fights at their house for a very long time (while completely bombed so maybe my judgment is skewed). I love the style of the Mexican fighters. However, I am also going to call out bullshit when I see it. Even my Mexican friends acknowledge this 155 catchweight stuff is garbage. You are a middlweight, fight at the limit.
I know, that's the way it suppose to be but, this is boxing and there are tones of money involved. What's your thoughts on Pac vs Margarito, Floyd vs Marquez, etc... It's all about to build the most interesting fight.

He has been on record ,GGG, that he would go up in wieght or down for a big money fight. Lets see if this is true,

It seems his fans are being very selective on what they want to rememeber what GGG says on record
Ward and GGG were both at those times known for not being huge draws. A Ward vs GGG fight years ago was not a big money fight. Also, you do have to consider everything when you have trouble getting fights.
Its actually the opposite of being selective.
Heck is it safe to say GGG is a bigger draw and star than Ward at this point? ? ?

Also what do you mean by lets see???
Ward has moved up further and is champion of an even higher weight class.
GGG is still getting good fights at 160, unifying belts, and has at least 3 very valid and profitable options for his next fight. Most which could include unifying middleweight titles.

Last edited:
I know, that's the way it suppose to be but, this is boxing and there are tones of money involved. What's your thoughts on Pac vs Margarito, Floyd vs Marquez, etc... It's all about to build the most interesting fight.

I already stated guys like Pac and Floyd get a pass. Pacquiao is 5'5" and a former flyweight. The fact he even got into the ring with Margarito is ridiculous, you saw the size difference. I'm willing to bet on fight night Margarito was 170 and Pac was 150 tops. Mayweather too. He was never a Light Middleweight. He only fought Canelo and Oscar there because they were big money fights against bigger men.

Golovkin and Canelo are basically the same size and both held Middleweight titles at the same time. That is why this was garbage.

1. 155 is within the rules of mw.
2. If fighters agrees , why should the fan be bothered
3. Loeffer had been on record saying wieght is not the issue, not sure why bring up a moot point

You are missing the point completely. These guys were BOTH at middleweight. Both held titles. This was not Manny Pacquiao moving up to Light Middlweight to fight Margarito. Nor was this Mayweather fighting Oscar. Canelo and Golovkin were both middleweights. There is no catchweight needed.

There are plenty of fighters on record saying its ridiculous. Catchweights are used when you are meeting at a weight from different classes. Ward 168 and Golovkin 160.....you meet at 164. Canelo held a MW strap and demanded 155. That isn't even meeting in the middle, that is 1 pound above LMW for christ's sake. Come on.

I already stated guys like Pac and Floyd get a pass. Pacquiao is 5'5" and a former flyweight. The fact he even got into the ring with Margarito is ridiculous, you saw the size difference. I'm willing to bet on fight night Margarito was 170 and Pac was 150 tops. Mayweather too. He was never a Light Middleweight. He only fought Canelo and Oscar there because they were big money fights against bigger men.

Golovkin and Canelo are basically the same size and both held Middleweight titles at the same time. That is why this was garbage.
Ok, I don't understand what's your conflict then... The fight between Canelo vs GGG it will eventually happen and it would look pretty even in terms of size and weigh. (If Canelo beat Junior of course).

And you're being obtuse.
First, Ward is not a big fight.

Second, regardless of what his management say, GGG's stated goal has always been unification. And yes, if a big fight comes in a weight division above or below that makes sense, then yes.
He's not going to fight the undisputed champ 8lbs above when he hasnt even cleaned out his own division.
When Ward was beaking off about fighting him, an obvious ploy to raise his stakes in the actual fight being negotiated, I mean Kovalev, GGG offered him a fight 164.
That obviously never made sense for Ward since his real goal was Kovalev and the LHW division. He's not going yo drop 4lbs, fight, then gain 12 more and fight those killers.

Abel and Loeffler are just doing what good management should. Create hype. When Abel gave that 154-168 statement, he was speaking his opinion and not GGG's. And if you remember, Ward was in his self imposed hiatus and nowhere on the horizon.
Even then, it's like when you hear Roger or Floyd Sr or Ellerbe going on how FMJ can make easy work of Canelo / GGG etc but when the time came it was 152 or bust and as for GGG ? Oh no, he's too big for lil Floyd.
Only thing is, lil Floyd has cleaned out his division, is known for almost never taking a challenge and hasn't ever fought when he's the betting underdog.

Unlike Leonard vs Hagler, Ali vs Foreman, Duran vs Hagler of any other greats he likes to put under him.
At the end of the day, 20 years from now, he'll most probably be remembered as a great defensive fighter who never really reached that legendary status.
A sort of a hi end cross between a Niccholino Locche and Calzaghe.
IMO.

^ went off on a tangent there.

Even then, it's like when you hear Roger or Floyd Sr or Ellerbe going on how FMJ can make easy work of Canelo / GGG etc but when the time came it was 152 or bust and as for GGG ? Oh no, he's too big for lil Floyd.
Only thing is, lil Floyd has cleaned out his division, is known for almost never taking a challenge and hasn't ever fought when he's the betting underdog.

Unlike Leonard vs Hagler, Ali vs Foreman, Duran vs Hagler of any other greats he likes to put under him.
At the end of the day, 20 years from now, he'll most probably be remembered as a great defensive fighter who never really reached that legendary status.
Wrong.
Marquez, Cotto, DeLaHoya, Mosley, Pacquiao, Hatton, Gatti are all shoe in Hall of Famers that he beat. Throw in Canelo, Corrales and Castillo and none of those guys you mentioned have better resumes (except Ali). How has he never taken on a challenge? Has anyone else ever beaten 7 Hall Of Famers in their career (potentially an 8th if Canelo keeps going)? Everytime I ask someone "who else should he have fought?" I never get an answer. Do you have one? Oh and one fact everyone continues to ignore: Mayweather has more KOs on his record than decisions 26 to 23.

He's been the betting favorite in every fight where he was on the wire since the Bruseles fight with his lowest odds being in order ODLH -190, Pacquiao -200, Hatton -240, Canelo -300, Marquez -360. Not sure what youre getting at with the not a betting underdog deal, cause if he did in fact sign to fight say a GGG, he'd still be at least a 2-1 (-200) favorite. But anyways, bookies for sure thought Floyd had reputable competition to have at least 5 of his fights being under 4-1 odds of winning.
http://www.oddsshark.com/boxing/floyd-mayweather-betting-odds
And 2 of those fights were Split or Majority Decision wins. If we throw in the 1st Maidana fight that's 3, making 50% of his toughest fights in the last 10 years Split or Majority Decision wins.
Explain to us again how he hasn't been challenged.

20 years from now when the hate has subsided, people will remember him for those facts (he fought the best of every division he fought in, never lost, defended or won a belt/title 28+ times in a row, and has numerous HOF'ers on his resume and ties the all-time undefeated record with Rocky Marciano) he will be legendary. The timing may not be what you like, but you cant win 49 straight fights while ducking the best. Who else should he have fought?

Last edited:
Ward and GGG were both at those times known for not being huge draws. A Ward vs GGG fight years ago was not a big money fight. Also, you do have to consider everything when you have trouble getting fights.
Its actually the opposite of being selective.
Heck is it safe to say GGG is a bigger draw and star than Ward at this point? ? ?

Also what do you mean by lets see???
Ward has moved up further and is champion of an even higher weight class.
GGG is still getting good fights at 160, unifying belts, and has at least 3 very valid and profitable options for his next fight. Most which could include unifying middleweight titles.
This is not about Ward . Not sure why you are stuck on that .

This is in direct relation to a person being upset on the Canelo wieght , my response if both fighters agree, it's a non issue between the Fighters .

And we shall see if GGG really meant 154 is a good catsgeory for him .

Lara challenged him ,

the narrative unify all the belts is not his only shitick , which fans seem to imply

And you're being obtuse.
First, Ward is not a big fight.

Second, regardless of what his management say, GGG's stated goal has always been unification. And yes, if a big fight comes in a weight division above or below that makes sense, then yes.
He's not going to fight the undisputed champ 8lbs above when he hasnt even cleaned out his own division.
When Ward was beaking off about fighting him, an obvious ploy to raise his stakes in the actual fight being negotiated, I mean Kovalev, GGG offered him a fight 164.
That obviously never made sense for Ward since his real goal was Kovalev and the LHW division. He's not going yo drop 4lbs, fight, then gain 12 more and fight those killers.

Abel and Loeffler are just doing what good management should. Create hype. When Abel gave that 154-168 statement, he was speaking his opinion and not GGG's. And if you remember, Ward was in his self imposed hiatus and nowhere on the horizon.

A sort of a hi end cross between a Niccholino Locche and Calzaghe.
IMO.

^ went off on a tangent there.
Ggg is on record saying 154 is a good category for him , what do you say to that

You are missing the point completely. These guys were BOTH at middleweight. Both held titles. This was not Manny Pacquiao moving up to Light Middlweight to fight Margarito. Nor was this Mayweather fighting Oscar. Canelo and Golovkin were both middleweights. There is no catchweight needed.

There are plenty of fighters on record saying its ridiculous. Catchweights are used when you are meeting at a weight from different classes. Ward 168 and Golovkin 160.....you meet at 164. Canelo held a MW strap and demanded 155. That isn't even meeting in the middle, that is 1 pound above LMW for christ's sake. Come on.
I'll ask you again, where in the recent negoxtions was it ever said wieght was an issue . Leoffler has said wieght is not an issue . If fighters and promoters are ok , why does it bother you ?

You would have a stronger case to get on the GGG high horse by saying oh the money offer is bad , he should get 50-50

Or, say 15 million was a lowball offer

Oscar is a coward ...

This is not about Ward . Not sure why you are stuck on that .

This is in direct relation to a person being upset on the Canelo wieght , my response if both fighters agree, it's a non issue between the Fighters .

And we shall see if GGG really meant 154 is a good catsgeory for him .

Lara challenged him ,

the narrative unify all the belts is not his only shitick , which fans seem to imply
I mentioned it because you brought it up!!! I mentioned it once.
Now you want to dismiss it because it is a non valid moot point.
How is Lara, GGG moving up? You said moving up. All over the map now.
Are you trying to say GGG not fighting Lara is the same as him not fighting Canelo?

I mentioned it because you brought it up!!! I mentioned it once.
You said moving up./QUOTE]

Being Selective

this was about you holding one fighter to a different standard, care to address that

I explained it, clearly.

Golovkin and Ward were never in the same weight class. They were going to meet at 164 but it did not materialize. We can bitch all day about why it didn't.

Canelo and Golovkin are at the same weight-class and Canelo was demanding 155. They are two different scenarios.

I explained it, clearly.

Golovkin and Ward were never in the same weight class. They were going to meet at 164 but it did not materialize. We can bitch all day about why it didn't.

Canelo and Golovkin are at the same weight-class and Canelo was demanding 155. They are two different scenarios.
Ill say it again , Canelo and Golovkin both said wieght not an issue in the recent negotiations, why does it bother you and where is this 155 demand come from in a the recent negotiations

Back