De La Hoya: Gennady Golovkin's thin win doesn't increase his 'B' side value for Canelo Alvarez fight

Marc A

Being broke is being dishonest
@Silver
Reaction score
I wish chepo pullled Canelo to one side and told him to stop listening to Oscar.

I kid you not , everywhere Canelo is at , there is Oscar in his ear .

Granted he helped him make lots of money and has guided him very well. But sometimes Oscar's ego gets in the way from making good business . But the same
can be said about lots of promoters

From
http://www.latimes.com/sports/boxing/la-sp-canelo-golovkin-oscar-20170320-story.html

Written by Lance pugmire

With negotiations scheduled to resume this week for a Canelo Alvarez-Gennady Golovkin fight, promoter Oscar De La Hoya indicated Golovkin’s narrow victory over Daniel Jacobs did nothing to increase his “B” side value in the potential middleweight title bout.

De La Hoya told the Los Angeles Times in a Monday telephone interview that he believes the chances of striking a deal with Golovkin promoter Tom Loeffler for the bout “decrease” because of Golovkin’s showing in a 115-112, 115-112, 114-113 unanimous-decision triumph at Madison Square Garden.

Loeffler has already attempted to counter-offer a previous offer by De La Hoya to stage the bout, and De La Hoya indicated his preferred purse split isn’t likely to budge after Jacobs (32-2) landed more power punches on Golovkin (37-0, 33 knockouts) and won the final three rounds on two judges’ scorecards after surviving a fourth-round knockdown.

Golovkin’s 23-fight knockout streak ended in his 18th consecutive middleweight-title triumph.

“Not that [Golovkin’s value] went down,” De La Hoya said. “I just feel that given today’s market, I really feel that GGG’s side has to be more than fair to make this fight.

“I actually believe [the percentages of making the fight] decrease. It all depends on the negotiations – and we’ll continue talks – but now obviously we clearly know who the ‘A’ side is and that’s obviously Canelo. So I’m going to instruct my president, Eric Gomez, to continue talks and, hopefully, it can get done, but I strongly feel Canelo is obviously the ‘A’ side and there’s no doubt about it.”

Well, yeah. Oscar is going to pinch every penny he can from that fight. You'll hear a lot of this over the next few months.

Golovkin is almost 35 years old. Oscar knows what happens to fighters at that age. If he delays the fight by another year or two, he probably sees it as an increasingly winnable and profitable fight.

Canelo lost to Mayweather, Lara, and Trout was very close. Jacobs beats Canelo and I Think Lemieux would give him a good fight. Not sure if Oscar is back on drugs.

If God or Satan or Odin could please step in and help Chavez magically crush Canelo in May I would be eternally grateful.

Thanks,
your soon to be loyal follower.
The Can Opener.

I wish chepo pullled Canelo to one side and told him to stop listening to Oscar.

I kid you not , everywhere Canelo is at , there is Oscar in his ear .

Granted he helped him make lots of money and has guided him very well. But sometimes Oscar's ego gets in the way from making good business . But the same
can be said about lots of promoters

From
http://www.latimes.com/sports/boxing/la-sp-canelo-golovkin-oscar-20170320-story.html

Written by Lance pugmire

With negotiations scheduled to resume this week for a Canelo Alvarez-Gennady Golovkin fight, promoter Oscar De La Hoya indicated Golovkin’s narrow victory over Daniel Jacobs did nothing to increase his “B” side value in the potential middleweight title bout.

De La Hoya told the Los Angeles Times in a Monday telephone interview that he believes the chances of striking a deal with Golovkin promoter Tom Loeffler for the bout “decrease” because of Golovkin’s showing in a 115-112, 115-112, 114-113 unanimous-decision triumph at Madison Square Garden.

Loeffler has already attempted to counter-offer a previous offer by De La Hoya to stage the bout, and De La Hoya indicated his preferred purse split isn’t likely to budge after Jacobs (32-2) landed more power punches on Golovkin (37-0, 33 knockouts) and won the final three rounds on two judges’ scorecards after surviving a fourth-round knockdown.

Golovkin’s 23-fight knockout streak ended in his 18th consecutive middleweight-title triumph.

“Not that [Golovkin’s value] went down,” De La Hoya said. “I just feel that given today’s market, I really feel that GGG’s side has to be more than fair to make this fight.

“I actually believe [the percentages of making the fight] decrease. It all depends on the negotiations – and we’ll continue talks – but now obviously we clearly know who the ‘A’ side is and that’s obviously Canelo. So I’m going to instruct my president, Eric Gomez, to continue talks and, hopefully, it can get done, but I strongly feel Canelo is obviously the ‘A’ side and there’s no doubt about it.”

It's not his ego. It's his aforementioned business sense to which you alluded. It's smart of him to look like he is restraining Canelo. Gets people wound up for the fight. Generates conflict and controversy. As far as promoting goes: is normal

If God or Satan or Odin could please step in and help Chavez magically crush Canelo in May I would be eternally grateful.

Thanks,
The Can Opener.
4933667089_a0683829a8_b.jpg

It's not his ego. It's his aforementioned business sense to which you alluded. It's smart of him to look like he is restraining Canelo. Gets people wound up for the fight. Generates conflict and controversy. As far as promoting goes: is normal
I get that , it's just the way he deals with people , he could be a bit more soft touch on the negotiating table. And sometimes his ego is very abrasive

Even though leoffer tried to come in like GGG was the same as Canelo money wise , he should be a bit more diplomatic

Canelo lost to Mayweather, Lara, and Trout was very close. Jacobs beats Canelo and I Think Lemieux would give him a good fight. Not sure if Oscar is back on drugs.

He lost to Floyd. Last time I checked everything legitimate, he beat Lara. Trout was prime and still lost. Jacobs is a giant of a MW, Alvarez is a small MW at best so what kind of light bulb moment is this to give Jacobs the edge? Lemieux gets torched by a smarter, slicker Canelo. Canelo is a good MW rhat matches up well against GGG's style. No need to get hypercritical.

So Oscars still stuck in 90 10 I guess. Canelo should want the fight now after seeing the last 2 ggg fights. 65 35 an make the fight.

Would Love Canelo to try Danny Jacobs ............

If they are just going to lowball GGG I rather they just fight Danny....Basically you are getting a guy of GGGs caliber for a little less $ Right in Oscar's wheel house. Or at least what he claimed.

GGG can terrorize or chase down BJS in the meantime.

But all that makes too much sense

The way Oscar is talking, imagine if Canelo KOs a MUCH bigger Chavez Jr. In May...
GGG will be lucky to get 5%.

The way Oscar is talking, imagine if Canelo KOs a MUCH bigger Chavez Jr. In May...
GGG will be lucky to get 5%.
GGG should've taken that 15 mill with some ppv upside

Golovkin needs GGG for his biggest payday, but he doesn't need him enough to take scraps before he really starts declining. Golovkin can continue to make good money if Canelo's camp continues to price themselves out. The paying public's memory is always much shorter than people assume (meaning Canelo's reputation is far from being permanently tarnished), but just about every indication of negotiations suggests him and his team really don't want to give an inch and if he doesn't change that soon he could risk irreparably hurting his reputation to the point where he'd considerably risk losing drawing power going forward.

Thanks,
The Can Opener.
Pwhy? At the very least Alvarez makes weight

Would Love Canelo to try Danny Jacobs ............

not going to happen

same if not more risk, for far, far less money

with jacobs length and height, canelo would have a very hard time getting inside and landing. even with the chance of a gbp robbery canelo would need a ko to win

Back