Media DDP interview re 300,izzy,whittacker et al

Doodles.dude

White Belt
@White
Reaction score

A few notes:

DDP mentions the potential Izzy fight at 300,had a fractured foot after Strickland fight so not ready, only recently started training.

Willing to wait for UFC Africa in order to fight Izzy ,even till end of year if necessary but if not happening this year wants to fight two more times this year.

Has a mancrush on Whittacker.

Wants to defend belt at least three times before moving up to LHW.

It’s March. I doubt he fights two more times this year. I also doubt UFC Africa happens this year. Good luck to him, I guess.

If I'm UFC, I schedule UFC Africa for 2nd quarter 2025.

That way DDP will fight in July and like November and then again in April 2025.

If they do UFC Africa in 2024, then DDP is just going to hold out for that which will likely be after Septemeber.

If UFC is smart and wants to keep the division moving, they should listen to me.

It’s March. I doubt he fights two more times this year. I also doubt UFC Africa happens this year. Good luck to him, I guess.
I’ve been saying for at least a year we are probably still at least a year or two away from a card in Africa. I’ve been correct so far. But who knows?

If I'm UFC, I schedule UFC Africa for 2nd quarter 2025.

That way DDP will fight in July and like November and then again in April 2025.

If they do UFC Africa in 2024, then DDP is just going to hold out for that which will likely be after Septemeber.

If UFC is smart and wants to keep the division moving, they should listen to me.
Counting on Dricus to defend twice before fighting in Africa in the spring of 2025 sounds a little risky. A couple years ago there were 3 champs from Africa. Those 3 are not the champs anymore.

Reactions: Ruv
In before sherdog says the guy who just fought 4 times in a 14 month time span is faking his injury. The amount of people who were ragging on this guy because he didn't want ufc 300 is insane.

I doubt there will even be a ufc in Africa so DDP should just retire

came here to say this. I don't think it'll ever happen. There are too many obstacles, and the time taken up will be too much while they're trying to deliver 41 +/- events to ESPN over the next 12 months and beyond.

I wouldn't hold my breath for UFC Africa. If they didn't do it when they had Ngannou, Usman, and Izzy as champs, I'm not sure why they would do it now. This reminds me of when Max was begging for UFC Hawaii--if they didn't do it when BJ was the champ, they have no real intentions of doing it.

When it's a market the UFC actually wants to exploit, they make it happen. They'll almost certainly be in Spain within a year. But again, I wouldn't hold my breath on Africa.

Counting on Dricus to defend twice before fighting in Africa in the spring of 2025 sounds a little risky. A couple years ago there were 3 champs from Africa. Those 3 are not the champs anymore.

That's why it's win win.

If DDP loses this year. They don't have to go to Africa.

Or they can still go to Africa and it can be any other qualifying fighter or push the DDP/Izzy fight until then.

Pretty understandable point of view from DDP, no point for a champion to rush into a title defense when they aren't 100%.

A few notes:

DDP mentions the potential Izzy fight at 300,had a fractured foot after Strickland fight so not ready, only recently started training.

Willing to wait for UFC Africa in order to fight Izzy ,even till end of year if necessary but if not happening this year wants to fight two more times this year.

Has a mancrush on Whittacker.

Wants to defend belt at least three times before moving up to LHW.

This guy is always hurt
He got “hurt” after the Whitaker fight even tho he dominated and didn’t take any real damage

I say he’s sand bagging

This guy is always hurt
He got “hurt” after the Whitaker fight even tho he dominated and didn’t take any real damage

I say he’s sand bagging
Well you'd be stupid to say that because the truth is he's pretty much fought every 5 months since the pandemic has ended

Back