DC's BLACK LIGHTNING (Premieres January 16, 2018; New Trailer Released)

Dragonlordxxxxx

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
BLACK LIGHTNING TV Series in the Works from Greg Berlanti

XGOslCQ.jpg

DC Comics guru Greg Berlanti is teaming with The Game's Salim and Mara Brock Akil for a potentially ground-breaking superhero drama.

The Arrow/Flash/Supergirl/Legends of Tomorrow exec producer is working with the Akils to develop Black Lightning, a drama about one of DC Comics' first major African-American superheroes. (The character debuted in 1977 and was created by Tony Isabella and Trevor Von Eeden.)

A network is not yet attached, but the drama is being pitched to networks this development season after being in the works at Warner Bros. Television, where the Akils and Berlanti are under rich overall deals.

Here's the official logline: Jefferson Pierce made his choice: He hung up the suit and his secret identity years ago, but with a daughter hell-bent on justice and a star student being recruited by a local gang, he’ll be pulled back into the fight as the wanted vigilante and DC legend — Black Lightning.

In the comics, Pierce has two daughters who both became superheroes: Anissa Pierce (aka Thunder), a member of the Outsiders; and Jennifer Pierce (aka Lightning), who is recruited by the Justice Society of America.

The Akils (Being Mary Jane) will pen the script and exec produce alongside Greg Berlanti Productions' Berlanti and Sarah Schechter.

Should Black Lightning move to series at a broadcast network, the drama would be the first to feature an African-American superhero as its lead. Netflix, of course, has Marvel drama Luke Cage due this month.

Black Superhero Drama From Greg Berlanti, Salim and Mara Brock Akil in the Works

Black-Lightning-090116-Dragonlord.jpg

DC Comics guru Greg Berlanti is teaming with The Game's Salim and Mara Brock Akil for a potentially ground-breaking superhero drama.

The Arrow/Flash/Supergirl/Legends of Tomorrow exec producer is working with the Akils to develop Black Lightning, a drama about one of DC Comics' first major African-American superheroes. (The character debuted in 1977 and was created by Tony Isabella and Trevor Von Eeden.)

A network is not yet attached, but the drama is being pitched to networks this development season after being in the works at Warner Bros. Television, where the Akils and Berlanti are under rich overall deals.

Here's the official logline: Jefferson Pierce made his choice: He hung up the suit and his secret identity years ago, but with a daughter hell-bent on justice and a star student being recruited by a local gang, he’ll be pulled back into the fight as the wanted vigilante and DC legend — Black Lightning.

In the comics, Pierce has two daughters who both became superheroes: Anissa Pierce (aka Thunder), a member of the Outsiders; and Jennifer Pierce (aka Lightning), who is recruited by the Justice Society of America.

The Akils (Being Mary Jane) will pen the script and exec produce alongside Greg Berlanti Productions' Berlanti and Sarah Schechter.

Should Black Lightning move to series at a broadcast network, the drama would be the first to feature an African-American superhero as its lead. Netflix, of course, has Marvel drama Luke Cage due this month.

Black Superhero Drama From Greg Berlanti, Salim and Mara Brock Akil in the Works
I'd be happier about this if it weren't being made by the same people who brought us the Arrowverse. The shows have their moments, and are still entertaining, but it's time for DC to step it's game up. Marvel and Netflix have been owning the whole lot of them. Even their worst show (AoS) is at least on par with their best show (Flash), and only one of those doesn't rely on all of the PIS imaginable.

Literally 3/4's of the plots in Flash are only possible because Barry is a goddamn idiot. Some suspension of disbelief is one thing, but this show's pool of it is reaching critical mass.

I'd be happier about this if it weren't being made by the same people who brought us the Arrowverse. The shows have their moments, and are still entertaining, but it's time for DC to step it's game up. Marvel and Netflix have been owning the whole lot of them. Even their worst show (AoS) is at least on par with their best show (Flash), and only one of those doesn't rely on all of the PIS imaginable.
I think a Black Lightning series is potentially more exciting than a Luke Cage series. I just have this nagging feeling ever since I saw Cage in Jessica Jones that his solo series would not be that great. Seeing his bulletproof body get shot a gazillion times by thugs gets old pretty fast. Plus his acting is a bit wooden.

Literally 3/4's of the plots in Flash are only possible because Barry is a goddamn idiot. Some suspension of disbelief is one thing, but this show's pool of it is reaching critical mass.
I predict season 3 of The Flash is where the show goes on a downhill and fans will be more vocal about the negatives. It was already happening during the last few episodes of season 2 but it'll blow up in the third season.

I think a Black Lightning series is potentially more exciting than a Luke Cage series. I just have this nagging feeling ever since I saw Cage in Jessica Jones that his solo series would not be that great. Seeing his bulletproof body get shot a gazillion times by thugs gets old pretty fast. Plus his acting is a bit wooden.
My main concern is that it's going to be increasingly harder and harder to justify his inability to end most of his major threats within the first couple of episodes. Shit they show him having a face-to-face with his main villain in the trailer. Outside of "if you kill me, you won't know what we did with _____"-kinda stuff, there's no reason he shouldn't be able to just pop his skull like a grape. I hope it's not more Matt Murdock-level PIS "no killing" bullshit. Elektra and Punisher were able to sate my thirst for badguy blood, but DD's code was maddening.

Jessica Jones had a similar problem in that they had multiple opportunities to take out Killgrave, but failed either due to their own stupidity or their asinine reasons for keeping him alive.

btw, Cage's actor is fine, IMO. He's reserved, but not wooden. His acting doesn't blow me away, but it's definitely not bad.

I predict season 3 of The Flash is where the show goes on a downhill and fans will be more vocal about the negatives. It was already happening during the last few episodes of season 2 but it'll blow up in the third season.
The show is already on a downhill slope. The entire second half of the second season was ludicrous. For every not-shit episode, there was big steaming dump of an episode to follow it. There were simply flabbergasting decisions being made left and right, and that finale was a fucking joke.

I'm excited for season 3 if only to see some characters make it to live action. But my excitement is tempered by the inevitable baffling decision making that I know will make me question watching this show anymore.

they willl do this but not a show about the question. He would fit perfectly into this world

e53d7f8067067a51029cde8260094ff5867b10ab6676b1d493c8dd8d23c4571b.jpg

Why BLACK LIGHTNING?!?! Why not Static Shock and just bring in the mid-twenties black fan base he still has now? We don't want Black Lightning. We want motherfuckin Virgil

Why BLACK LIGHTNING?!?! Why not Static Shock and just bring in the mid-twenties black fan base he still has now? We don't want Black Lightning. We want motherfuckin Virgil
Probably because it's got a whole different story dynamic. The guy is a teacher, married, and has two kids who eventually develop superpowers of their own. There's a lot of potential drama there of the sort we haven't really seen in a superhero show.

I agreed with this, until....

Probably because it's got a whole different story dynamic. The guy is a teacher, married, and has two kids who eventually develop superpowers of their own. There's a lot of potential drama there of the sort we haven't really seen in a superhero show.
...yeah you're right.

There's no shortage of young twenty-something heroes.

A family man show, while not original, wouldn't be horrible.

Well thanks for making sense lol geez man....

Update: September 8, 2016

DC's BLACK LIGHTNING TV Show Lands Pilot Commitment at Fox

Fox-Television-Black-Lightning-Dragonlord.jpg

Fox is working on another superhero show — this time, a Black Lightning series, based on the DC Comics character.

Superhero series gurus Greg Berlanti and Sarah Schechter are executive producers on the project that landed a pilot production commitment at Fox. Husband-and-wife duo Salim and Mara Brock Akil are writing the television adaptation of the comic.

In the potential series, Jefferson Pierce has made his choice. He hung up the suit and his secret identity years ago, but with a daughter hell-bent on justice and a star student being recruited by a local gang, he’ll be pulled back into the fight as the wanted vigilante and DC legend: Black Lightning. The show is based on the DC character created by Tony Isabella with Trevor Von Eeden.

For Berlanti and Schechter, Black Lightning is one of many projects in the superhero genre under their belt. They are currently behind the CW’s The Flash, Arrow, Supergirl and DC’s Legends of Tomorow.

‘Black Lightning’ TV Show From Greg Berlanti Lands Pilot Production Commitment at Fox

Update: February 3, 2017

Greg Berlanti's BLACK LIGHTNING Scores Pilot Order — at The CW

Black-Lightning-The-CW-020317-Dragonlord.jpg

Greg Berlanti has just scored his fourth pilot order of the season and his second at The CW.

DC Comics drama Black Lightning has moved from Fox to The CW with a formal pilot order, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

The drama, written by The Game's Mara Brock Akil and her husband/producing partner, Salim Akil, landed at Fox in September following a multiple-network bidding war. Lightning becomes the latest Berlanti-produced comic book series to jump networks to The CW after Fox passed on Archie Comics take Riverdale and Supergirl moved from CBS for its sophomore season.

One of DC Comics' first major African-American superheroes, Black Lightning was created by Tony Isabella and Trevor Von Eeden and debuted in 1977. The hourlong drama will center on Jefferson Pierce, who hung up his suit and his secret identity years ago. However, with a daughter hell-bent on justice and a star student being recruited by a local gang, he'll be pulled back into the fight as the wanted vigilante and DC legend Black Lightning.

The Akils, who will pen the script, will executive produce the drama alongside Berlanti and his Berlanti Productions topper Sarah Schechter. Black Lightning marks the first pilot pickup to come from the Akils' overall deal with Warner Bros. Television.

Sources say the move to The CW came as Fox is already home to two DC Comics dramas (Batman-themed Gotham and Lucifer). With those, as well as Marvel's live-action X-Men drama and Seth MacFarlane's hourlong space dramedy Orville, Fox opted to pass a formal pickup for Lightning,and producers WBTV — who supply half of The CW's originals as a co-owner of the network — found it a familiar home.

Greg Berlanti's DC Comics Drama 'Black Lightning' Scores Pilot Order — at The CW

A friend mentioned earlier that it had been moved to CW. Awesome, much better place for it than Fox and, more people to crossover with.

Hope it turns out good.

Love this idea, but...

...this.

Cannot tolerate these crappy tv shows (Arrow, Flash, SHIELD).

Nice, CW and Berlanti have been on a role with these shows.

HOw about a show with an Asian lead?

Maybe they can do a Bruce Lee TV show.

Love this idea, but...

[...]

Cannot tolerate these crappy tv shows (Arrow, Flash, SHIELD).

SHIELD is much better, though!

I still take a kinda crappy CW version that can crossover with the Arrowverse show over a kinda crappy version that gets canceled after one season.

Back