DC, Woodley and Holloway talk Interim Belts, Super Fights and Conor McGregor

When will fighters learn that money fights are earned by being an exciting fighter and creating massive amounts of interest ? You can't just choose to get money fights.

I earned a money fight. GSP, Conor , Brock or Ronda, come fight me. The real champ. Or Nate or Nick as well I guess.

When will fighters learn that money fights are earned by being an exciting fighter and creating massive amounts of interest ? You can't just choose to get money fights.
I think they all actually alluded to this
Woodley said super fights make sense....when they make sense. The issue with him is that he thinks they make sense when they don't, he has an inflated sense of his own interest/marketability - it's not that he doesn't understand the point you just made
Max implied much the same, that it makes sense because he's like 12-0 in his last dozen fights and is an exciting fighter
DC made the point that it makes sense when that's the fight that's most important to him assuming he's done what's most important thing for the sport (in this case fighting number one contenders) already in the past

I think they all actually alluded to this
Woodley said super fights make sense....when they make sense. The issue with him is that he thinks they make sense when they don't, he has an inflated sense of his own interest/marketability - it's not that he doesn't understand the point you just made
Max implied much the same, that it makes sense because he's like 12-0 in his last dozen fights and is an exciting fighter
DC made the point that it makes sense when that's the fight that's most important to him assuming he's done what's most important thing for the sport (in this case fighting number one contenders) already in the past

T-wood still obviously does not get it if he thinks he's up for a money fight.
He thinks (and he said this) that after you've fought the top contenders you're up for money fights. That's not the case at all with him. It's not about fighting all the top guys. It's about the masses clamoring to see you fight.

I don't strongly dislike the guy. I actually kinda like him but he just can't see things for the way they are. He isn't realizing he needs to adjust his style to be more aggressive/exciting and work on his public persona more if he wants people to see him in big fights.
Having said that, let's face it most fighters aren't going to be able to put themselves in that position.
Only a few have that certain something that makes them stars.
You can be jealous on the sidelines and complain or you can try to emulate what the other stars have done.

I don’t really wanna see Tyron fight unless there is a chance he might lose....like he is too non action oriented for my taste. If he dissent finish early ....then it might not happen

T-wood still obviously does not get it if he thinks he's up for a money fight.
He thinks (and he said this) that after you've fought the top contenders you're up for money fights. That's not the case at all with him. It's not about fighting all the top guys. It's about the masses clamoring to see you fight.

I don't strongly dislike the guy. I actually kinda like him but he just can't see things for the way they are. He isn't realizing he needs to adjust his style to be more aggressive/exciting and work on his public persona more if he wants people to see him in big fights.
Having said that, let's face it most fighters aren't going to be able to put themselves in that position.
Only a few have that certain something that makes them stars.
You can be jealous on the sidelines and complain or you can try to emulate what the other stars have done.

the point here is that I think that he thinks that fighting the top contenders is a recipe for increasing your visibility/marketability
And it's not as if he hasn't done other things to increase his marketability and public persona
But my larger point isn't specifically about Woodley
and it's not like he's unique, at all, in his opinions about super fights.

the point here is that I think that he thinks that fighting the top contenders is a recipe for increasing your visibility/marketability
And it's not as if he hasn't done other things to increase his marketability and public persona
But my larger point isn't specifically about Woodley
and it's not like he's unique, at all, in his opinions about super fights.

He does think that. And he's wrong.
But how can you and i see that but he doesn't ? Makes no sense. Hes in the game. He sees how things work. I think his stubbornness and inability to look at himself instead of blaming others is blinding him.
But again I don't think most fighters have the ability to market themselves into money fights.
Some just have that certain star attraction. He doesn't. It's ok, most don't. He's looking to blame someone for not winning lotto.

He does think that. And he's wrong.
But how can you and i see that but he doesn't ? Makes no sense. Hes in the game. He sees how things work. I think his stubbornness and inability to look at himself instead of blaming others is blinding him.
But again I don't think most fighters have the ability to market themselves into money fights.
Some just have that certain star attraction. He doesn't. It's ok, most don't. He's looking to blame someone for not winning lotto.

well he's not blaming anyone in that video
not that I heard, I haven't actually heard any blaming from him in like a year or two
Last thing I heard was him saying a fight was in the works, then Dana said it wasn't, and they called each other liars - but I don't follow MMA news closely anymore. Just saw that video and thought it was interesting
But anyway, it's not surprising at all that someone in any arena has an inflated sense of their own ability (in this case ability to market) - that, again, is a pretty standard thing

I don’t really wanna see Tyron fight unless there is a chance he might lose....like he is too non action oriented for my taste. If he dissent finish early ....then it might not happen

And this is why he won't be in money fights. You have to create money fights, not demand them as if you are deserving because you've won a certain amount of fights.

well he's not blaming anyone in that video
not that I heard, I haven't actually heard any blaming from him in like a year or two
Last thing I heard was him saying a fight was in the works, then Dana said it wasn't, and they called each other liars - but I don't follow MMA news closely anymore. Just saw that video and thought it was interesting
But anyway, it's not surprising at all that someone in any arena has an inflated sense of their own ability (in this case ability to market) - that, again, is a pretty standard thing

Honestly I don't think he has to make too many changes to catapult himself to star status. He seems to worry about gassing out too much and fights conservatively because of that. I feel like this is the biggest factor he needs to address. Come out like a berserker and smash a few guys in the first rd.

I actually think he could pull that style off. He's a great wrestler and hits like a truck. He just needs to let it all hang out more. Take chances. Sure there's a risk to that but playing it safe will keep the belt but not much more.

Honestly I don't think he has to make too many changes to catapult himself to star status. He seems to worry about gassing out too much and fights conservatively because of that. I feel like this is the biggest factor he needs to address. Come out like a berserker and smash a few guys in the first rd.

I actually think he could pull that style off. He's a great wrestler and hits like a truck. He just needs to let it all hang out more. Take chances. Sure there's a risk to that but playing it safe will keep the belt but not much more.
oh you mean in his fighting style
in this case we agree fully, I don't think Woodley particularly cares about being exciting (I actually don't think most successful MMA fighters care about being exciting, successful meaning consistently top 3-5 or champs - I think some just happen to preform best by using styles that fit them and happen to be exciting not because they're trying to entertain- with some obvious exceptions).
But yeah I get what you're saying

oh you mean in his fighting style
in this case we agree fully, I don't think Woodley particularly cares about being exciting (I actually don't think most successful MMA fighters care about being exciting, successful meaning consistently top 3-5 or champs - I think some just happen to preform best by using styles that fit them and happen to be exciting not because they're trying to entertain- with some obvious exceptions).
But yeah I get what you're saying

Pretty much. I think he could focus on being more aggressive in the first 2 rds and get some highlight reel finishes. He has the ability I think, just not the confidence.
For example if he did this against wonderboy he could have KOd him in the first or gotten badly countered.
It's a gamble.

And this is why he won't be in money fights. You have to create money fights, not demand them as if you are deserving because you've won a certain amount of fights.
Yeah he’s just not “must see” tv

fan of all three fighters would love to see DC win the HW title and the other two to continue to reign their respective division .
thanks for the vid TS .

Back