DC Open

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Dana_is_your_GOD, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Dana_is_your_GOD Platinum Chram deal with it

Dana_is_your_GOD
    Whose competing? I see Kenny in the brackets

@Kenny from MD your a heavyweight now?

2. Kenny from MD Less angry than before.

Kenny from MD
    Yes, I am in at brown belt heavyweight. More than likely, this will be my last one at heavy.

Rebelfett likes this.
  3. Dana_is_your_GOD Platinum Chram deal with it

Dana_is_your_GOD
    It figures that Team Lloyd Irving has that Angelo guy in your bracket. Did he win purple belt world's?

4. Kenny from MD Less angry than before.

Kenny from MD
    I have a bye to the semi final, so if I win that, I should meet Angelo in the final. I'm not sure if he won Worlds, but I think he either did, or got silver. I'm happy he is in the division, it should make for a very tough match.

5. Balto Silver Belt

Balto
    Damn Kenny you been lifting? We were featherweights like five years ago!

Rebelfett likes this.
  6. Dana_is_your_GOD Platinum Chram deal with it

Dana_is_your_GOD
    Kenny on dat Jon Jones cycle.

7. Kenny from MD Less angry than before.

Kenny from MD
    I frogging wish. If anyone has the hookup on that stuff, please drop me a DM. Realistically I got a little older and moved to lightweight. Then I got hurt and moved to middleweight. Then I got depressed, stopped training for awhile and it took me awhile to get my shark together and I ballooned up to Superheavy. I'm almost down to Middle Heavy again, then soon enough Middle, and I plan to stay there and continue hitting weights, although I do have another impending shoulder surgery.

DC Open was cool, albeit somewhat light in competitors which is unusual given how many US Grappling regulars consider themselves "serious" competitors, but didn't show up. Hmm.

I had an unfortunate first round bye, submitted my tallest opponent ever in the semi final, and botched the final, getting submitted quickly by Angelo who won the division and the Open as well. He looked great all day, props to him.

8. Ryoto Machida Brown Belt

Ryoto Machida
    I think it was Angelo who beat my teammate, Jose Inacio Dos Santos in the Open class. Inacio is a frigging beast, so that says a lot about Angelo

9. ChrmnMa0 Black Belch

ChrmnMa0
    I was actually surprised how many divisions only had 1 competitor. I had the pleasure of getting murdered by Vicente Jr.

Rebelfett likes this.
  10. Balto Silver Belt

Balto
    They closed the registration for this one early, so that might explain the lower number of competitors. I moved out of the area a few years ago, but I knew a few guys who were going to make the trip down. They didn't register in time though because it cut off like a month early.

That seems pretty normal for the IBJJF trying out a new location. They usually keep it pretty small the first time while they work out the logistics.

Even having moved away, I would have come down for it if the timing were a little better. But it's just a bad time of the year for me work wise. I'm hitting up the NY Pro in November for my next one.

I saw all your names in the brackets and was cheering for you guys. Pretty cool that we were all competing together ten years ago and are still at it.

Was at Pride GP 2000 likes this.
  11. BJJ Coffee Drinker Amateur Fighter

BJJ Coffee Drinker
    Why do they do that when trying out a new location? Id think they want it to draw a good number of competitors in?

12. Thycidides Blue Belt

Thycidides
    What do you mean by that? I'm pretty familiar with US grappling and would like to know what others think of it compared to other teams/ tournaments.

13. Kenny from MD Less angry than before.

Kenny from MD
    It means there's a lot of locals that consider themselves serious competitors, make fan pages or patch their gis up all fancy, but never actually compete in the serious competitions.

US Grappling is an absolutely fantastic tournament, that is more geared toward the satisfaction of competitors than any promotion out there right now. They have an unmatched level of quality control amongst non IBJJF tournaments not to mention the only TRUE sub only tournament. They also are the most efficiently run tournament bar none because they have a designated mat director, who will move brackets and matches to empty mats to keep divisions running fluidly and to kill any downtime on open mats.. But it still doesn't attract the numbers, level of competitors, or prestige of even the smaller IBJJF tournaments.

ChrmnMa0 and Rebelfett like this.
  14. Kenny from MD Less angry than before.

Kenny from MD
    I just assumed the competitor cap had something to do with fire codes or other logistics, but Im basing that on absolutely nothing other than that NY Open is jam packed in the gym in Harlem, and you couldn't possibly fit another couple hundred people in there, nevermind that the place turns into an oven. If anyone remembers Pan Ams when it was at the old place, around like 2008ish, by the end of the day, it literally took 40 minutes to walk from one end of the room to the other, and that was with the food vendors OUTSIDE the gymnasium. It was insane.

Rebelfett likes this.
  15. Thycidides Blue Belt

Thycidides
    Well my coach doesn't compete in Ibjjf anymore because he thinks they are corrupt and don't take the steroids issue seriously. But he competed in IBJJf when he was younger and more active.

But one of my team mates who is very active In running US grappling does compete in IBJJF and in fact medalled at the DC open. He prefers to compete in IBJJf to us grappling He also medalled at the master's worlds at Brown. He is the real deal.

I'm pretty sure the colored belts that compete in US grappling know they are in a lesser tournament.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  16. Kenny from MD Less angry than before.

Kenny from MD
    Bagels? I see him signed up for everything, and doing well. He put a buddy of mine to sleep bad in the open class haha.

17. Thycidides Blue Belt

Thycidides
    Yeah. I'm not sure why he isn't a black belt yet.

18. Rebelfett Green Belt

Rebelfett
    I wish they would try a new location in Chicago. It's not in the greatest of neighborhoods and I don't think it's a very good representation of our city when we have guest in from out of town

19. Balto Silver Belt

Balto
    I'm pretty sure the competitor cap is driven by logistics. There just aren't that many venues available that can handle giant tournaments, so that right there is a limit for many areas. Plus even if the venue could handle it, there needs to be enough refs and workers to make it practical.

As mentioned above, the NY Open gets capped early every year. I am pretty sure they can't fit any more people in Nat Holman gym. Atlanta Winter was capped this year too.

IBJJF could make more money short term by not capping, but long term they'd lose money. Their brand is high quality tournaments. It's not worth risking a disaster in a new venue, so they usually cut off pretty conservatively while they're still figuring out a new spot.

20. ajf Orange Belt

ajf
    It was a great tournament. Not quite the NY Open, but there were some really good matches in the black belt and brown belt divisions. Benayoun v Malachi was awesome. So was Gianni v Jamil. The flying armbar in the black belt open was fucking sick. Bagels had a shit ton of good matches, too.

Hopefully they come back next year and it's at the same venue.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017