Dayum. Fedor wasn't just past his prime.

Fedor had many many years of Sambo at a high level, don't forget that. That sport can wear every part of your body out. Also around 40 mma fights. Fedor has more mileage
Fedor has a lot of miles. No doubt that, as well as age alone, explains his diminishment. But I think it has to be more than that. Somewhere just after the Arlovski fight he stopped training as hard or something.

I look at Fedor's decline as having more to do with his fighting style than having to do with some type of countdown clock we all have once we leave the Model T factory. Fedor's style relied heavily on his reflexes, explosiveness, and power, and he fought and won on the razors for a lot of years taking risks that modern fighters are now trained not to. When those things slowed in his early 30's (like they do for most football players who are out of the NFL by then), he became vulnerable trying to fight the way he always had. And another variable is injuries, which Fedor spoke of in his interview with "The Voice" as starting to affect him following the Tim Sylvia fight. Again, some fighting styles allow one to overcome injuries, but Fedor let it all hang out, and eventually age and injuries slowed him to the point that he let it all hang out there too long and guys could start capitalizing on opportunities that were not there before. The last variable is training, and with Fedor being cloistered the way he is, doesn't seem to have kept up with the rest of the MMA world, and fixing one's holes, and learning new skills and strategy are things that can't be neglected, especially for a guy who is slowing down and isn't as strong and explosive as he once was.
A very solid response.

C'mon he's talking fight years...don't be a prick.
I'm not being a prick, stop making excuses for a guy who obviously trains poorly and has sub par preparation.

Is Fedor past his prime? Of course. Does he have a lot of mileage? Of course. Does he come into fights seemingly unprepared, without having scouted his opponent and with a piss poor game plan? Of course.

I bet youre one of those morons who thinks age is the only way to intelligently measure a fighters mileage.

How about this science for you, dumbass??

Fedor 40 fights

Mitrione 15 fights.

Moron.
Did you even read my comments before calling me a moron? You have to admit, that would have been smarter than going off half cocked. My argument is that the wear and tear of Mitrione's athletic career can't be "intelligently measured" by simply counting up his fights. He'd probably had a half dozen concussions and rehabbed both knees before he ever put on a pair of MMA gloves.

Matt was 2 seasons in NFL and he was mostly injured had a bunch of surgeries on his leg.. in the end he played a total of 9 games in his NFL career. (I'm sure had had a bunch of training and practices like they do at that level)

Now college football he legit played in that and most likely here is where he got his most concussions and what not.

It's hard to compare who is more banged up then the other, proof is kinda in the pudding right ? Fedor looked 40 y/o going on 60 with the way he moved and fought.

Fedor has a history of sambo, judo competition and fighting problem is some fighting style age better then others and Fedor's is the bad ageing kind based on explosives, timing, reaction etc etc.. realistically looking back the last time we saw him in "prime form" was 2008 and from then one the clear decay of his abilities was in full effect and took away from his overall game and possibilities.

I'm not blowing smoke up people asses but I'm telling you all that 2007-2008 Fedor would have flat line Matt inside 20 or so seconds. Hard to fight legit HWs when you are shot as a fighter, the fresher bigger man clearly took it better and was able to comeback to finish the job.
Now this is a substantive response. I appreciate it. What we know is that Mitrione suffered concussions and a series of nagging injuries in his college and NFL career.

I completely agree that he looked much more spry than Fedor, who looked like a shell of himself.

I have a lot of respect for Fedor's earlier career. I consider him the GOAT HW and one of the all time greats at any weight class. But people need to stop acting as if the only problem is age and mileage. He looks poorly trained and poorly prepared in his fights. If he were to join a real MMA camp in the US or Brazil, he'd be much more formidable right now, despite his age and despite his mileage.

Maybe, but you can easily tell who is more worn. Fedor looks like he's at least 10 years older than Mitrione.
If Fedor still took his training seriously, he'd look a lot better imo.

I don't think that detracts from what he accomplished in his prime. Not one iota. But the excuse making for his current sad sate is unjustified imo.

I think its fair to say age has treated Fedor as bad as it has BJ Penn.

Did you even read my comments before calling me a moron? You have to admit, that would have been smarter than going off half cocked. My argument is that the wear and tear of Mitrione's athletic career can't be "intelligently measured" by simply counting up his fights. He'd probably had a half dozen concussions and rehabbed both knees before he ever put on a pair of MMA gloves.

shut your bitch ass up, mark.

If Fedor still took his training seriously, he'd look a lot better imo.

I don't think that detracts from what he accomplished in his prime. Not one iota. But the excuse making for his current sad sate is unjustified imo.

I disagree. Some people deteriorate faster than others.

Now this is a substantive response. I appreciate it. What we know is that Mitrione suffered concussions and a series of nagging injuries in his college and NFL career.

I completely agree that he looked much more spry than Fedor, who looked like a shell of himself.

I have a lot of respect for Fedor's earlier career. I consider him the GOAT HW and one of the all time greats at any weight class. But people need to stop acting as if the only problem is age and mileage. He looks poorly trained and poorly prepared in his fights. If he were to join a real MMA camp in the US or Brazil, he'd be much more formidable right now, despite his age and despite his mileage.

I don't know what to say about Fedor, why aren't the people around him telling him the real deal, does he see it ? I'm sure in the gym vs younger guys he must see it, but his family and friends need to step up, enough is enough he won't starve he has plenty of connections and a strong name he will be alright why get hurt and tarnish your legacy for what ? it was bad he tried to be aware and read his opponent, beat him to the punch but damn he is shoot as a top level fighter even in the weak overall HW division we currently have, it's no go time to hang them, he is in my top 3 fav HWs but I can't get hyped for him fighting any longer.. reality check a TUF dude took him out, yea good athlete and getting better at fighting but a freaking TUF middle of the pack guy took him out what are we even talking about here.

One of the funniest KO's I've ever witnessed

Dude was truly reaching for his soul

Have some respect. Tyson , Ali , Silva have all lost by KO b4 have some friggen respect for the GOAT u scum bag

It was a dangerous fight for Fedor. Even in his battle worn days he's still fighting dudes with over 20lbs weight difference on him. Opponents with vicious KO power which mitrione has he's finished more then one opponent with that same punch. Fedor in his prime I believe would dismantle mitrione

shut your bitch ass up, mark.
Looks like you don't have what it takes to maturely address the points put to you so you just responded like an angry teenager. Maybe it's time to grow up a little.

Back