Dayum. Fedor wasn't just past his prime.

Well, if you do some investigating, you will see that the point I was making was that Fedor was not even looking like a past prime Fedor. He looked worse than that.
Worse than Maldonado fight?

Why were you expecting prime Fedor?

I've learned that a lot of posters here haven't followed other pro sports to any extent and thus are genuinely shocked that great fighters don't just stay great until dying of old age, and it generally takes 5-10 years of beatdown losses for them to finally realize that hey, maybe this guy's not as good as he used to be in 2006.

Then again to be fair, that's how the fighters involved seem to think as well.

There wasn't enough of a fight to even evaluate how Fedor looked. Double KD early then promptly put to sleep. Could have just as easily happened to Prime Fedor. I think Mitrione would have always been a problematic matchup.

Mitrione played years of football, a sport known for taking its toll on the knees and for danger of concussions.

Matt was 2 seasons in NFL and he was mostly injured had a bunch of surgeries on his leg.. in the end he played a total of 9 games in his NFL career. (I'm sure had had a bunch of training and practices like they do at that level)

Now college football he legit played in that and most likely here is where he got his most concussions and what not.

It's hard to compare who is more banged up then the other, proof is kinda in the pudding right ? Fedor looked 40 y/o going on 60 with the way he moved and fought.

Fedor has a history of sambo, judo competition and fighting problem is some fighting style age better then others and Fedor's is the bad ageing kind based on explosives, timing, reaction etc etc.. realistically looking back the last time we saw him in "prime form" was 2008 and from then one the clear decay of his abilities was in full effect and took away from his overall game and possibilities.

I'm not blowing smoke up people asses but I'm telling you all that 2007-2008 Fedor would have flat line Matt inside 20 or so seconds. Hard to fight legit HWs when you are shot as a fighter, the fresher bigger man clearly took it better and was able to comeback to finish the job.

Mitrione is pretty under-rated and anyone with heavy hands in 2017 can potentially knock Fedor out, above 185lbs, to be honest. It was nowhere near the upset people are claiming it to be - Mitrione in recent years has KO'd Shawn Jordan and Derrick Lewis. Fedor's eked out a decision over a 205lb Maldonado that he should've lost, and almost got KO'd in the process.

Legend in his prime, top bloke, but completely irrelevant to MMA in 2017.

Well said

They would have beaten fedor in rematch, purely by being more active and with good, modern fight camps.

How did their fight camps become more modern exactly? As far as I know Cro Cop has always done his camps in Croatia mostly with same guys but bringing in some guys like Werdum and Pat Barry every once in a while. I'd argue that Nogueira's camp got worse for a while after Pride when he and his brother left BTT and founded their own team.

Matt was 2 seasons in NFL and he was mostly injured had a bunch of surgeries on his leg.. in the end he played a total of 9 games in his NFL career. (I'm sure had had a bunch of training and practices like they do at that level)

Now college football he legit played in that and most likely here is where he got his most concussions and what not.

It's hard to compare who is more banged up then the other, proof is kinda in the pudding right ? Fedor looked 40 y/o going on 60 with the way he moved and fought.

Fedor has a history of sambo, judo competition and fighting problem is some fighting style age better then others and Fedor's is the bad ageing kind based on explosives, timing, reaction etc etc.. realistically looking back the last time we saw him in "prime form" was 2008 and from then one the clear decay of his abilities was in full effect and took away from his overall game and possibilities.

I'm not blowing smoke up people asses but I'm telling you all that 2007-2008 Fedor would have flat line Matt inside 20 or so seconds. Hard to fight legit HWs when you are shot as a fighter, the fresher bigger man clearly took it better and was able to comeback to finish the job.

Exactly. It's dumb enough when people use MMA Math but in this thread people are trying to use NFL Math in attempting to come up with some ridiculous way of relating the wear and tear of a football player to a pro mma fighter's wear and tear. It's impossible to even try to relate the two. Only a dumbass would say "Hey on wikipedia it says this guy played football for x number of years. I heard that football is a rough sport. Therefore every football year = mma year"

Its tough enough trying to compare wear and tear between fighters in MMA let alone another sport.

He would have to Lost the rematches to Nog, Hunt and Cro Cop in the UFC as well....They stayed active and humbled themselves to join Modern Teams... he didn't

He is like Rousey that way. So stubborn and hate change. They stick to the old ways.

bro, don't spilt hairs... 9 years,10 years its a decade ok...you can't blame someone's limited style on them just going "downhill" over 10 fucking years lol..

That's a career length.... that's called NOT EVOLVING!

You said "nearly 10 years," and I agreed with you. That's not splitting hairs. That's agreeing with your timeframe. And to support that even further, I later used our mutual agreement in support of my argument. How are you not understanding that?

Moreover, that's not Fedor's career. Fedor was fighting professionally for 17 years. So if he was has been head hunting for the last 8-9 years, that's literally the second half of his career. And it's literally (a) years of low activity after Pride was bought out and contract negotiations were crazy, (b) he aged significantly, and (c) wasn't training as he was before (as confirmed by his trainers and manager -- people who know a thing or two about Fedor's health and training regimient).

Watch the UFC in 2017... Then go watch the UFC in 2007... Then repeat.

That's a cop-out answer. Don't talk so much trash about how knowledgeable you are and then be like, "well go research it yourself."

That's BS excuses ... don't blame his Manager, Fedor is part owner of M1 global... He's just as complicit in every decision as his managers...

You're right. Fedor is a grown ass man. I shouldn't make it sound like it's just his manager that is to blame. He is every bit as complicit in his career choices (actually, moreso) than any of his managers. Which is why I mentioned how his trainers and managers were critical of his recent training before he ever lost.

I knew he was fucked when I saw him plodding flat footed like an old drunk and there was meathead floating like a butter fly and stinging like bee. Matt literally moves like a light weight.

Fedor should change gym for AKA/ATT/Greg-Winkel/Tristar or other top gym. He was big talent and he just doesnt give a fuck about his training especially after losing to Werdum, about diet, about english and about making the name in UFC. Cro Cop improved more than Fedor and I think 2017 Cro Cop > 2017 Fedor. Fedor still has heavy hands, he dropped Mitrione who has very good chin with 1st punch.

My daughter is in fact considering calling her newborn girl meathead just to make her sound legendary.
tenor.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljae89
Back