David Branch ‘smelled fear’ during his first UFC stint but now he only smells money

TheHNICuLuv2Hate

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
“Where I was before, I was still trying to get comfortable,” Branch told FOX Sports about his previous experience with the UFC. “I never had an amateur fight. I didn’t even have any stand up experience, no wrestling experience. I was pretty much going in there as a raw, talented athlete with a ton of jiu-jitsu experience and I was just trying to figure things out on the fly.

“I really didn’t know how to train. I wasn’t a professional when I was in the UFC before. I was just a kid, who thought he was going to fight in this big organization and make money and just have fun.”

“At first, I was a little upset how I was released from the UFC. I was upset but I understand the business aspect of it. I wasn’t being entertaining out there. I was stinking it up, winning fights and just trying to figure things out. That’s not what they’re looking for,” Branch explained. “You need to have your [expletive] together by the time you get to the cage. This ain’t a learning thing on the job. If you’re not entertaining, it’s a problem, even if you win. I understand that.

“I don’t have any ill will towards the UFC as I once did when I was younger. I understand that during that time I wasn’t the most entertaining. I think I was on my way to doing that in the UFC, but I think it was good that I got cut. Because the UFC is such a high intensity environment, it’s hard for you to really develop under those circumstances.”

“I smelled money. That’s the only thing that I smelled. When I first got into the UFC, I smelled fear. It was my own fear. I couldn’t perform. I was stiff out there. I couldn’t see the opportunity. I couldn’t seize the moment and just do my thing,” Branch explained.

“When I went out there the last time [at UFC 208] and I saw the lights and cameras and everything else, I said to myself this is what you were afraid of before? What the [expletive] is wrong with you, you dumb mother [expletive]! It took you this long to get your [expletive] together?” A cage is a cage, a man is a man, gloves are gloves. When you go in there, that guy is going to try to hurt you and you better not let him. That’s my approach now.”

“I’m coming in there to take over. I didn’t come here to compete. I didn’t just come here say I made it back to the UFC. I came here to be a [expletive] champion,” Branch exclaimed. “That’s the [expletive] deal.”

“There are no bad fights for me anymore. That [expletive] don’t exist. Every fight is a good fight for me,” Branch said. “I don’t understand these fighters ‘oh this is a bad fight for me’. It’s a fight! You’re fighting! Every fight is a good fight. “You get to go out there and be a savage again. That’s what I want to do.

“The Octagon is the ultimate [expletive] safari and I’m going to let my fangs hang loose.”

http://www.foxsports.com/ufc/story/...ufc-stint-but-now-he-only-smells-money-042917

He is on a nice winning streak, maybe he'll do better in UFC with confidence like this but the guy is pretty old already like 35 or 36 I think.

Man, that all sounds reasonable to me, hope it goes well for him.

Glad to see him improve his game after his initial UFC run. Never thought that he would make it back after he got cut.

It should be noted that Branch, Phil Davis and DC are the only guys that Rumble didn't KO at 205.

Seems like he got his shit together. Good for him.

Glad to see him improve his game after his initial UFC run. Never thought that he would make it back after he got cut.

It should be noted that Branch, Phil Davis and DC are the only guys that Rumble didn't KO at 205.
He also locked in a triangle against Rumble. Fight was terrible though.

I like him and really glad the guy went on a HUGE tear and got noticed, got paid, and is heading back to the big show.

Can never unsee Gerald Harris mudering him.

Harris-slams-Brance.gif

I miss Silva. His reactions and expressions were so baller.

Im a fan but I would be surprised if he cracks top 5. Seems like top 10 at least. we will see.

Back