David Bowie

JayPettryMMA

Danger Zone Aficionado
Staff member
Forum Administrator
Reaction score
To those of you who like Bowie, or those of you who enjoyed the TV show Dexter (let's not get into what parts of that show you liked and what seasons were bad), in honor of Bowie's final album Blackstar, the song Lazarus was performed live.

The singer that took the helm was Michael C. Hall, and he can sing. He is my first choice for Bowie if and when they make a biopic of his life.

The official performance, as I can't link the video directly here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p047zs3v

For a youtube of an earlier performance of that track by Hall, I can give you this youtube.

Edit: Let's turn this into a David Bowie thread. He deserves his own thread.

Last edited:
Gotta say, that was NOT the singing voice I was expecting from him. Sounds almost Bob Dylan-y, least a little?

I dig it, though.

In line with making this thread into a full on Bowie thread, this is the song that first turned me on to him. It came out the year I was born, so 86 songs tend to have special meaning for me for that arbitrary reason.

I grew up with Labyrinth, and my folks didn't have much in the way of Bowie so this was my most exposure of him until I was able to get cassettes of my own by learning about music in middle school.

And don't get weird about Connelly, she was 16 when this movie came out.

And this one captured his fun side for me. It was a tale of two Bowies for me with that film.

I didnt realize Bowie was into Crowley level occultism until seeing the video for the Blackstar track. The lyrics alone will be dissected by suspicious minds for many years to come, but the video thats a goldmine for the symbol minded. Lazarus = resurrection. Where ya at Bowie, ya beautiful black mage bugger?

Here's the title track off his final album, Blackstar. As RetiredSlave puts it, it is simply overflowing with symbolism.

And the track that had everyone talking, as if Bowie was prophesying his own demise. Going into this album, you figure he had to know how little time he had left and wanted to make it count. This album definitely had a "goodbye" feel to it.

And the track that had everyone talking, as if Bowie was prophesying his own demise. Going into this album, you figure he had to know how little time he had left and wanted to make it count. This album definitely had a "goodbye" feel to it.

The song is a gem. The problem with the theory is that Bowie wrote that track for the musical version of The Man Who Fell To Earth before he was even sick.

This is the song on Blackstar that really gets me in the feels and is clearly the reflection of a dying man.

My earliest Bowie memories are from his stuff in the mid - 80's. It was't until I was older that I explored his back catalog and became a huge fan. But I still have a soft spot for some of those 80's hits.

(With Stevie Ray Vaughan on guitar. I read a Bowie biography a few years back that covered the Serious Moonlight tour. Bowie insisted that all the musicians be clean and sober, something Stevie couldn't due and ultimately had to pull out)

Yes! David Bowie was a genius!

What an absolute madman. He released two of the best albums ever made in the same year!
Low and "Heroes", both from 1977. Also, we can't forget about the magic from Brian Eno when talking these albums.

Just one of all his great songs:

I've always enjoyed Bowie's performance as Warhol in the film Basquiat

Bring on the Bowie!

Dexter may have the acting chops, just not the build to play Bowie.

Tilda Swinton is the obvious choice.

I'm here.

His best (and the best) live performance imo. Also my favorite Bowie song. "Time" off Aladdin Sane

And Mick Ronson might be the most under-appreciated guitarist ever.

Obligatory

giphy.gif

Back