David Benavidez vs. Matt Korobov in Play For Garcia-Easter

MMALOPEZ

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
https://www.boxingscene.com/david-benavidez-vs-matt-korobov-play-garcia-easter--128258

ccording to multiple sources in Mexico, WBC super middleweight champion David Benavidez (20-0, 17 KOs) will make the next defense of his title against Matt Korobov (28-1, 14 KOs) of Russia in July 28.

The contest would be part of the Showtime televised undercard to the planned lightweight unification between Mikey Garcia and Robert Easter, which would take place at the Staples Center in Los Angeles.

Interesting. Despite Korobov being a big waste of talent, he did manage to beat Uzcategui a few years back and we've seen Uzcategui's quality as of late. One would expect Benavidez to walk through him, but Korobov does have a great pedigree. Tough to see how Korobov has done much of anything to earn the shot since his loss to Lee, though.

I see Benavidez destroying Korobov. Will be a good fight to watch for that reason. I like Benavidez, I can see him doing some big things in the not too distant future. With SMW being what it is now I could see him taking over the division not before too long.

I see Benavidez destroying Korobov. Will be a good fight to watch for that reason. I like Benavidez, I can see him doing some big things in the not too distant future. With SMW being what it is now I could see him taking over the division not before too long.

Yeah, he's arguably already the best guy in the division. I think he'd beat Groves in surprisingly easy fashion.

Yeah, he's arguably already the best guy in the division. I think he'd beat Groves in surprisingly easy fashion.
Yeah I think he'd take Groves, as Groves box and move off the jab will be hard to pull off against Benavidez who has a great jab too with his 77" reach and height advantage. It would be interesting to see how he copes with the lateral movement of someone like Groves though.

Benavidez is a great boxer, but Korobov has major power. This is a great fight and I hope David's promotional issues don't prevent this fight from happening.

Korobov?
No there's a guy who liked feasting on low level opposition.

Benavidez is a great boxer, but Korobov has major power. This is a great fight and I hope David's promotional issues don't prevent this fight from happening.

Korobov has a decent punch, but it wasn't like he was a destroyer against lesser opposition while he was active at MW. He's more a boxer than anything else and still might pose a small threat due to his pedigree, but at the age of 35, at 168 pounds, and after not having fought anyone of note since he was stopped by Andy Lee 3.5 years ago, I wouldn't have particularly high expectations for him against a guy like Benavidez.

Back