Davi Ramos vs Edwin Najmi

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by mataleaos, Sep 11, 2017.

1. mataleaos Green Belt

mataleaos
  2. Kenny from MD Less angry than before.

Kenny from MD
    Jesus Christ, Davi comes hard out of the gate!
    My god, this Najmi with the composure!
    Love that after the shove out of bounds it is just real recognizing real, respecting the gameness and getting back to it with no drama, and despite Davi trying to bully him a bit, Edwin doesn't back down from the stand up.

3. Knock Out Ned el mero mero

Knock Out Ned
  4. mataleaos Green Belt

mataleaos
    You ever see this?

The video is free to watch. It's just a couple of minutes a really sums up what I like about his mentality. He describes how he views that gameness - http://www.flograppling.com/video/1...mi-says-to-win-youve-got-to-have-that-swagger

bjjaz likes this.
  5. TheMood Blue Belt

TheMood
    That turned around really fast. Thanks for posting these videos.

mataleaos likes this.
  6. BJJ_Rage Gold Belt

BJJ_Rage
    Shit tx for the vid!

mataleaos likes this.
  7. JustTheTip Green Belt

JustTheTip
    I was amazed at that as well. This is an example of great composure and focus.

8. JagRoss Yellow Belt

JagRoss
    How tall is Edwin?

9. mataleaos Green Belt

mataleaos
    Good question. If he still posts on here he may answer. My guess is over a little over 6 feet maybe?

10. Daveb Green Belt

Daveb
    I've always liked Edwin's very relaxed style. Impressive win

mataleaos likes this.
  11. Uchi Mata Gold Belt

Uchi Mata
    Edwin's fun to watch. Everything comes out of nowhere. Though I do think his uber-relaxed wrestling could get him in trouble at ADCC just because of the rules. I know Romulo does/has gone and trained wrestling quite a bit at Churchboyz, I wonder if Edwin goes down there too?

12. Daveb Green Belt

Daveb
    I'm pretty positive I've seen pictures of Edwin over at Churchboys ( I refuse to use a Z)

13. EGDM Blue Belt

EGDM
    All the brand-name LA GB guys train there (Otavio, Romulo, Arges, Najmi, Rocha - when he was still GB, etc.).

14. Uchi Mata Gold Belt

Uchi Mata
    Some of these guys seem to like to keep their wrestling under wraps. Remember a few years ago when Keenan went to ADCC and start double legging everyone and said that, yes, he had 'secret wrestling' just for ADCC? I wonder if Najami has his own secret wrestling.

mataleaos likes this.
  15. Dirty Holt Brown Belt

Dirty Holt
    All of the coaches got fired at Churchboyz for misconduct, and they are not allowed in the Calvary Chapel room anymore. Not sure if they found another club or what, but that wrestling club is no more.

16. Uchi Mata Gold Belt

Uchi Mata
    Wow. Sounds like there's a story there.

17. rmongler Brown Belt

rmongler

I would think so too. For one reason or another few guys in bjj seem to actually have a double leg in their pocket. Najmi is very good at spinning and wiggling out, which has worked fine for him so far since most of his counterparts will just tunnel vision on the single even when he is standing strait up like that. But you know if you're handing someone both hips on a silver platter, with a high center of gravity, and feet on a flat plane perpendicular to the direction of movement, and they actually deign to hit both legs, well, it's pancake city (which actually did happen too him once in this very tournament even).

I wouldn't really call it a stylistic choice, any more than i would call 'not tucking the chin' in boxing a 'stylistic choice'; it's just plain bad combat posture for little to no benefit (would it kill you to sit in a stance? i would not think so), and he's mostly gotten away with it since few of the opponents he's met heretofore have punished him for it.

>well if the majority of his field doesn't actually punish it, is it really a problem?

That's something else i've been thinking of, but really, for someone to be consistently dominant, consistently dominant at the highest levels especially, you just can't have stylistic habits that get strait up no-sold by some certain thing or other. Because as soon as they start having big time success, everyone else is going to start going to those things, even assuming their path to the top doesn't cross it before then, and you're back at square one anyways. For a champ to stay a champ, he just simply can't have some things that are his kryptonite, he needs to beat them too. At the very least, the ability to transmute bad matchups into something that's a 51-49 push, and let who's superior talent carry the day.

Maybe he is sandbagging it, maybe he isnt; all i know for sure is i've just learned not to curse my lying eyes when they tell me im seeing something.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    EGDM, Uchi Mata and leaf22 like this.
  18. Bubblun Purple Belt

Bubblun
    If Davi Ramos didn't put him in trouble because of that stance, nobody will, Ramos is the best wrestler in submission grappling, bar Chsiev.

19. fanboysareevil Green Belt

fanboysareevil
    Dude come on...at least say you can't tell us what happened or that you don't know.

Dirty Holt likes this.
  20. BJJ Coffee Drinker Amateur Fighter

BJJ Coffee Drinker
    whoa. they seemed to have built the name of that place and their program seems to have been doing great. The GB guys, MMA fighters, and other big name BJJ guys in the area all seem to go there for their wrestling training. What happened?