Database Error/503 Error

TheKryptonite***

I looked Death in the face and it ran away
Reaction score
Anyone else getting these errors?

For those still having trouble with this, run through the following checklist. If (after you do EVERYTHING on the list) you're still having problems; then come back in here and ask for help.

1) Log out of your account and make sure the "Remember Me?" box is not checked.

2) Clear your browsing history, your download history, delete your cookies, empty your cache, and clear saved passwords. Do this for any and all browsers on your computer, whether you use them all or not.

3) Run whatever virus scanners you have on your computer. Malware, Trojans, Spyware, whatever. Just do it.

4) Download a program called CCleaner. Run the cleaner, then scan for errors/issues in your registry and fix whatever comes up. There's a button that says "Fix Issues" so it's pretty idiot proof. CCleaner program is free, easy to use, and small. I run it all the time.

5) Do whatever updates you need to do on your browsers if you've been putting them off.

6) Restart your computer.

7) Log back in.

If you post from your phone, make sure you do steps 1 and 2 on your phone as well.

If after doing all this, you're still repeatedly getting the 503 error; I don't know what to tell you.

Kimble's advice: Try using Firefox. I rarely get any errors on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
nonstop right now

Noted...tech will look into

Please don't blow up this forum with threads about it.

I'm getting a ton of them now. Not sure if anyone has started a recent thread about it, but I figured I'd comment on this one, as not to start a new one.

I'm getting a ton of them now. Not sure if anyone has started a recent thread about it, but I figured I'd comment on this one, as not to start a new one.

Much appreciated, and yes, we are aware.

Lots of 503s today. Anything I can do at my end to lessen there frequency?

I only get it on the mobile site.

We made some configuration changes. Let me know if the error is still occurring.

I've been getting this error this past week, and still got it today.

What's worked for me is to restart my browser, and the issue goes away. For a while at least.

For anybody thinking the database error has a simple solution:

A 503 error can be caused by a couple of things, one of which is an overload of the systems resources, which can result from basically too many users at one time overtaxing the system. The obvious solution, but not always the best, is more memory. Another cause can be when maintenance is being performed by the technical staff.

There are a number of ways and methods of optimizing the performance of the existing system but this requires sometimes turning off resources to the users during this time. Since Sherdog is available 24/7/365 this means users are going to experience the 503 error during the time the techs are working on the system. It's not like they have 1 day a week where the system is shut down for maintenance.

This isn't like taking your car to the shop and having a hose replaced and boom, problem solved. A web site, especially one of this size, is an ongoing and growing entity and as a result of this will require continual upgrades to hardware and software for the duration of its existence.

But you know what's really mad annoying? Having to explain this every time a few of the tens of thousands of posters that frequent this site at any given time are inconvenienced by having to click their mouse a few extra times. You'd think in this day and age that most people would have a rudimentary understanding of how and why web sites sometimes experience performance problems and other issues and just deal with it like the majority do.

We just implemented a new configuration. It uses cookies. For it to take effect you have to initiate a new login session (i.e. logout and log back in). Hope it works!

Edit: you can skip the part about logging out. We're going to do that for you so everyone's on the same page.

Last edited:
We just implemented a new configuration. It uses cookies. For it to take effect you have to initiate a new login session (i.e. logout and log back in). Hope it works!

Edit: you can skip the part about logging out. We're going to do that for you so everyone's on the same page.

Do you know when our profiles will get back to normal? I still can't see my background image.

Was on his sixth set of dubs since 8/2011 and still couldn't follow the rules.

Been getting this every other minute the last week. Anything one can do about it?:

Error 503 Service Unavailable

Service Unavailable
Guru Meditation:

XID: 1644903460

Varnish cache server

Been getting this every other minute the last week. Anything one can do about it?:

Error 503 Service Unavailable

Service Unavailable
Guru Meditation:

XID: 1644903460

Varnish cache server

Try logging off, go bake some cookies, restart your browser session, and log back on, see if that helps.

Back