Darren Till vs. Stephen Thompson Set For UFC Fight Night Liverpool Main Event

Who Wins?

• Total voters
Till future champ but he ain't ready for that.

Great fight but terrible matchmaking by UFC imo.

You are rushing Till into this fight when you dont need to. He could have fought Edwards or Nelson in more of a showcase fight in LIverpool. Why bump him into fight with number 2 WW in the world? You are setting yourself up to see a potential star lose in his hometown.

There was no need to rush this kid yet, one or two more wins and then a Wonderboy fight would have made sense.

It is probably better than getting Usman cause atleast Till has a chance since it will be a stand up fight. Not that he couldnt beat Usman but n that matchup better chance he gets taken down and its boring.

Still think Nelson was the perfect fight to make, top 15 guy, has some striking and great ground game but is someone Till should outclass and win. respectable win, instead they are going right to the top.

Its risk/reward for Till, he either wins and the hype is off the charts and its title shot time or he loses and it will be he was rushed and you knocked off a possible UK star when you didnt have to.
Get ahold of yourself, he's 25 years old. So what if he loses,It's great matchmaking. People act like if a fighter loses, his career is over.

Best match up they coulda given Till that isn't a grappler. They let RDA and Colby fight each other for the interim and set this dude up a cherry picked title shot. Still, I have no problem with it - Cowboy is a vet and Thompson is a former challenger and still top of the division.

That 'I'm big af' shit isn't going to mean much against Thompson though, who has a fairly large frame for the division himself. Still, I'm pulling for the new blood

Gotta say I disagree with the matchmaking. Going from a Hot/Cold Cerrone to Thompson is a big difference. Till is a potential star and a good chance you deaden his momentum with this fight. I pray we don't get a counter-strike fest from both guys enroute to a weird 5 round decision.
I disagree.

IMO i see this a the UFC doing everything to favor till and ride his wave.

As far as i see, this is the most favored match up and hieghest name value fight they couldnt put together for him.

Out of all top names wb is the easiest fight for till

1: Meek is not a jabroni.

2: Usman cruised through him -- like he has in all of his UFC fights. 30-27 across the board.

3: Styles make fights, and Usman is a bad matchup for anyone who isn't a proven wrestler.

1. In the context of discussing top 10 UFC welterweights, Meek is 100% a jabroni. His claim to fame is upsetting a shot Paul Harris who lost his way out of the UFC. Meek's overall skill set looks appropriate for a lower level MMA than the UFC.

2. This is intellectually dishonest if you are deeply familiar with the sport. Usman was given an extremely favorable opponent and this should have been a coronation. Instead he struggled to grind out a decision and looked vulnerable and unprepared in standing exchanges. Stock goes down.

3. Wonderboy has world class MMA adapted counter wrestling. Watch him shrug off Hendricks, Berger and Rory. He's spent the last several years grappling with Weidman for this very reason.

Considering a top 30 random brawler in Meek could tag Usman, I predict Wonderboy will literally wheel kick him to sleep.

Usman is largely unproven.

Go Wonderboy

tumblr_nm4es2QoIb1s80fhyo1_500.gif

It will either be an awesome fight or totally suck ass. No in-between.

Agreed, matching Till now with Thompson is a big risk. But if he pulls it off .... BIG reward, he'd be on the brink of a title shot.

But a loss, and you knock off one contender, and a guy who's already fought 2x for the title remains in contention.

Def risk/reward, he's a title contender if he wins and his hype goes through the roof but he beat a struggle LW, looking at who he's fought before that doesnt scream fight number 2 WW in the world next.

Could have taken another fight or two, fought someone like Nelson, then move up to a Maia or Magny and then Wonderboy. Plus with RDA/Colby happening and winner having to fight Tyron even if Till wins he'll have to fight someone else before he'd get a titel shot.

Just seems like a risk they didnt need to take in this case. Let him have a winnable fight in his hometown, come off like a superstar and then you give him one of the big dogs.

and people say oh he's 25, not end of the world. Of course its not, people lose but hype isnt easily built back up. Look at someone like Cody G. he could come back and win back title but the hype that was there, the next possible superstar who was gonna get pushed to the moon if he beat TJ that doesnt automatically come back. Same with Ngannou. That kind of hype doesnt always come back.

Back