Darren Till The MuayThai Master

Lomachenko and Rigondeaux are absolute exceptions. and the thais who are still fighting cans after 40 fights aren't the ones who are worth bringing up when talking about thai boxers. There are several who moved on to legit competition halfway around that and did fine.

Honestly I was just thinking of Srisaket at the time, who fought three debuting fighters in a row, and then took on Choclatito.
http://boxrec.com/en/boxer/528191
I mean, his record is a travesty and I just find it unfair, Floyd vs McGregor is just the average bout on his record.

Don't get me wrong, he's a good boxer and there are other Thai boxers who are good - I'm just saying I get why some boxing fans may scoff at the Thais a little.

well it is true that majority of high level thai boxers still fighting cans when they are climbing to the top but there is a reason to this: Stay active!

It isnt to make the record more impressive but to always keep the fight and training shape,while some boxers have to do training camps,most of these thai boxers are always signing the contracts wherever when a big fight comes and one of the reasons are becaue they are in shape to it

Wanheng for example fought an indonesian can before a fight against good opponent melvin jerusalem, there are hundreads of examples about it on Thai-Japanese boxing,its way harder to know when big fights are coming for you on smaller weight classes.

With that slow paced tone he uses in all of his videos which makes me cringe. Its crazy how many views he gets.
I sometimes watch his vids on speed x2 - makes it more palatable and they end faster. ;)

Honestly I was just thinking of Srisaket at the time, who fought three debuting fighters in a row, and then took on Choclatito.
http://boxrec.com/en/boxer/528191
I mean, his record is a travesty and I just find it unfair, Floyd vs McGregor is just the average bout on his record.

Don't get me wrong, he's a good boxer and there are other Thai boxers who are good - I'm just saying I get why some boxing fans may scoff at the Thais a little.

Good call, that's not ideal and like I said they tend to fight at homeland against cans but like Mafanofe said these are stay-active fights. Looks like Srisaket was fighting every 2-3 months prior to Chocolatito and faced at least two guys with badass records for WBC titles in 2014 and 2015 so while not ideal, it's not like he's fighting cans instead of legit competition but on top of it.

Certainly unfair to "scoff at the thais" collectively like they are consciusly avoiding top contenders. more likely, most of them would face any contender with a week's notice for a couple thousand dollards if given the chance.

this is why i want to see someone like Sagetdao Petpayathai to do well in mma and make it to top level, so finally some "just bleeds" fans can see what high level MT striking realy is ( even though he is already 32, but still way better than majority of mma fighter )

K1 level striking stuff get discredited a lot in MMA since Cro cop and overeem loss some fight by KO, but k1/lumpinee/wbc level striking are real, and they are way higher than average mma fighter.

this is why i want to see someone like Sagetdao Petpayathai to do well in mma and make it to top level, so finally some "just bleeds" fans can see what high level MT striking realy is ( even though he is already 32, but still way better than majority of mma fighter )

K1 level striking stuff get discredited a lot in MMA since Cro cop and overeem loss some fight by KO, but k1/lumpinee/wbc level striking are real, and they are way higher than average mma fighter.
What about Dejdamrong? He went very far considering his age

Sure, what i meant is that we already saw some high lv MT in MMA with Dejdamrong, the only difference Sagetdao brings is more athleticism

yeah, maybe. but "JUST BLEED" fans to only watch UFC, thats why they think someone like Darren Till ( who is very good ), is the same level as other elite K1 level striker.

yeah, maybe. but "JUST BLEED" fans to only watch UFC, thats why they think someone like Darren Till ( who is very good ), is the same level as other elite K1 level striker.
personally, i blame Thompson and the UFC because of that marketing tool they used with Thompson supposedly being a 5 time KB world champion, and many people buy that right away without looking it up, so if someone is able to stand with him, he has to be "world class lv" as well

He probably is the same level as many K1 fighters at his weight. K1 is still a pretty small sport. The issue wasn't people saying hes on the same level as a k1 fighter. Its people calling him a muaythai master. 2 different sports with completely different levels of competition.

Level of competition in KB at his weight is higher level yes :p

He probably is the same level as many K1 fighters at his weight. K1 is still a pretty small sport. The issue wasn't people saying hes on the same level as a k1 fighter. Its people calling him a muaythai master. 2 different sports with completely different levels of competition.

Level of competition in KB at his weight is higher level yes :p

Funny how Muay Thai elitists say the level of competition is poor above 155 lbs in Muay Thai when it suits them, but some other times like now the level of competition is suddenly higher than in Kickboxing for guys fighting at 170+ lbs.

Funny how Muay Thai elitists say the level of competition is poor above 155 lbs in Muay Thai when it suits them, but some other times like now the level of competition is suddenly higher than in Kickboxing for guys fighting at 170+ lbs.
Not sure what a Muaythai elitist is. Seems like a term created to win arguments. The level is poor above 155lbs (compared to the other weight classes in MT) but still good enough for someone like Darren till to have trouble with mainly because of the rule set. Things like clinching and elbows come in to play. Even all the top muaythai guys at 155 could probably beat darren till at 170.

I was replying to Pem who said something on the lines of "fans who only watch UFC think Darren Till has K1 level striking" (basically trying to imply those fans are wrong) but they're not. I think Till could do okay at that weight class (only under kb rules). Under mt is a different story not just because of the fighters but also the rule set.

Not sure what a Muaythai elitist is. Seems like a term created to win arguments. The level is poor above 155lbs (compared to the other weight classes in MT) but still good enough for someone like Darren till to have trouble with mainly because of the rule set. Things like clinching and elbows come in to play. Even all the top muaythai guys at 155 could probably beat darren till at 170.

I was replying to Pem who said something on the lines of "fans who only watch UFC think Darren Till has K1 level striking" (basically trying to imply those fans are wrong) but they're not. I think Till could do okay at that weight class (only under kb rules). Under mt is a different story not just because of the fighters but also the rule set.

I don't see him doing too good against the Top5 kickboxers of either 170 pounds or 187 pounds to be honest, at least not much more than he would do in Muay Thai in those same weight classes.

The level of competition at that weight is a hell of a lot better in Kickboxing than Muay Thai...

The level of competition at that weight is a hell of a lot better in Kickboxing than Muay Thai...
Do people on this subforum read all the posts before commenting? At no point did I say the level of competition at 170 in mt is better than kb. 170 is not even a weight class in mt. I was talking about the level of competition in the 2 sports as a whole and Till being called a "muaythai master".

Pem was implying he didn't have good enough striking to compete with kickboxers and I was making a point that he probably could do okay. Its more realistic for him to do well in kb than it is for him to become a muaythai master which is what this forum was originally about: Some YouTuber calling him a muaythai master because he's shown good striking in MMA that might be effective in a kb fight but wouldn't mean nothing against someone like Yodwicha under muaythai even if Till comes in like 20lbs heavier. He would get rag dolled.

Darren Till is an mma dude with no background in any striking sport, his wins are against much smaller guys that makes what makes he looks like a monster and with absurd KO power

Winning on striking against ISDKAUS+ABC champion Stephen thompson didnt mean that he would beat a top kickboxer

Kingshenko, Doube, Nabiev, Holzken, Kongolo, Stetsurenko, Valent and Groenhart(sloppy as he is sometimes) would all beat him up,watched Darren till last 3 fights and his striking is overrated( of course MMA striking game is different than kickboxing in some aspects but still...)

Last edited:
All those great strikers in the UFC...
I would love to see a Glory vs UFC kickboxing event.

Rico vs Overeem
Groenhart vs Till
Holzken Wonderboy
Van Roosmalen vs Conor

At least it would sell in the Netherlands.

Darren Till is an mma dude with no background in any striking sport, his wins are against much smaller guys that makes what makes he looks like a monster and with absurd KO power

Winning on striking against ISDKAUS+ABC champion Stephen thompson didnt mean that he would beat a top kickboxer

Kingshenko, Doube, Nabiev, Holzken, Kongolo, Stetsurenko, Valent and Groenhart(sloppy as he is sometimes) would all beat him up,watched Darren till last 3 fights and his striking is overrated( of course MMA striking game is different than kickboxing in some aspects but still...)
I agree most of these guys (i don't know Valent) would beat Till under some KB ruleset, but i think you are exaggerating a lot here to make your point, yes Till comes from a striking background, he was a good prospect under KB rules and even fought in a tournament that was some sort of SUPERKOMBAT-qualifying if i recall correctly. He did OK and against some guys that today turned out to be pro kickboxers, sure, only mid-level guys nowadays, but imo that proves he had potential and could be a top guy if he hadn't made the transition to MMA. Also, his 44-0 or whatever his KB/MT record is doesn't have names, but it is a important experience and fits "striking background", that shouldn't be ignored, Till has competed in both KB and MT rulesets in the entire world, and considering how early he went for MMA it's totally understandable that we don't know most of his opponents.

PS: Before UFC, some of Till's fights were at 185, against bigger guys. He clearly is much more talented than the usual MMA fighter, and hasn't won many fights ONLY because of his KO power/size advantage, i watched all his UFC fights and some of his brazilian regional MMA, he was outclassing everyone.

All those great strikers in the UFC...
I would love to see a Glory vs UFC kickboxing event.

Rico vs Overeem
Groenhart vs Till
Holzken Wonderboy
Van Roosmalen vs Conor

At least it would sell in the Netherlands.
Overeem is done, his chin is gone by now, replace him with Ngannou and i would be all for it haha

Back