Darren Till landed more shots. Why is there controversy?

MuayThai101

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
http://www.fightmetric.com/fight-details/cd117bfce747184f

The stats are out. Why do people think Wonderboy landed more?

Till - 38 of 126 total + 1 knock down + octagon control = WINNER
Rd 1 - 4
Rd 2 - 9
Rd 3 - 9
Rd 4 - 7
Rd 5 - 9

Thompson - 30 of 126 total
Rd 1 - 5
Rd 2 - 6
Rd 3 - 8
Rd 4 - 8
Rd 5 - 3

2, 3, 5 Till. The better fighter won. Get over it.

Get over it.
giphy.gif

theyre counting all the leg kicks he landed ... wonderboy had more body and head strikes
Good thing this is MMA and not boxing then. The thigh kick that buckled Wonderboy >>>>> anything Wonderboy hit him with.

The real question is how many more threads will @MuayThai101 make bashing Thompson.

I'm going to guess he makes one more.

those stats have to be wrong... wonderboy landed to the head much more than Till did... and iv seen different stat counts, i hadnt seen this one it shows Till landing double the head shots wonderboy did? wtf?

Lol these kids probley don't watch the fights anymore, just look for strike numbers they found on some random website.

those stats have to be wrong... wonderboy landed to the head much more than Till did... and iv seen different stat counts, i hadnt seen this one it shows Till landing double the head shots wonderboy did? wtf?
Nope. Fightmetric is the most accurate. UFC stats are always wrong because they are done in real time. They dont go back and correct themselves.

Good thing this is MMA and not boxing then. The thigh kick that buckled Wonderboy >>>>> anything Wonderboy hit him with.
i saw the fight 2 more times today... i enjoyed it i love a technical battle.... i dont care much for either guy but i do wish them both well and i do really like wonderboys style.. anyways that being said, I still seriously cant see how the hell Till got that decision. He literally did nothing until the end of the 2nd or 3rd round i forgot which it was after he got poked in the eye he seemed to come alive.. after that he had a couple moments but each time hed attach Wonderboy would counter him cleanly to the face. It was a typical Wonderboy fight, Till fought Wonderboys fight NOT the other way around. The only thing surprising was the decision.

Lol these kids probley don't watch the fights anymore, just look for strike numbers they found on some random website.
Wonderboy dick riders were the ones bringing up fight stats to back their claims. I watched the fight. I saw 1 man come forward like a gangster and 1 man run away. The gangster won. I dont need stats. Sherdog apparently do, and still it backs Till.

I think Till deserves the win. Though he scores more for being the aggressor than he does for octagon control, as you suggest. Being the aggressor and getting that knockdown are enough that Till deserves to win the fight. But that doesn't necessarily mean he wins in the 10-point must system.

The stats can be misleading. A fighter can do more damage while landing less. An argument can be made that Wonderboy landed the better shots, considering how Darren moved into a lot of the shots Stephen threw, while Wonderboy was often moving away from Till's.

Rounds 1-4 could all go either way. If you strongly favor being the aggressor, then Till is more likely to have won them. If you simply favor the strikes Wonderboy landed, then he's more likely to have won them.

Wonderboy dick riders were the ones bringing up fight stats to back their claims. I watched the fight. I saw 1 man come forward like a gangster and 1 man run away. The gangster won. I dont need stats. Sherdog apparently do, and still it backs Till.
Till came forward yea but he was only pressuring not actually throwing strikes.. he was doing what it seems is the blue print to beat Anderson and Machida... come forward.. pressure pressure.. feint get them to react them try and counter... thing is when Till did throw a strike Wonderboy was countering him cleanly. Till barely did anything at all other than come forward and get the knockdown in the 5th.

"A quick definition: significant strikes refer to all strikes at distance and power strikes in the clinch and on the ground. It does not include small, short strikes in the clinch and on the ground. Those will be included in the Total Strikes category."

I think Till deserves the win. Though he scores more for being the aggressor than he does for octagon control, as you suggest. Being the aggressor and getting that knockdown are enough that Till deserves to win the fight. But that doesn't necessarily mean he wins in the 10-point must system.

The stats can be misleading. A fighter can do more damage while landing less. An argument can be made that Wonderboy landed the better shots, considering how Darren moved into a lot of the shots Stephen threw, while Wonderboy was often moving away from Till's.

Rounds 1-4 could all go either way. If you strongly favor being the aggressor, then Till is more likely to have won them. If you simply favor the strikes Wonderboy landed, then he's more likely to have won them.
thing is Wonderboy also attacked and blitzed more so than usual and threw more strikes so he was being at least as " aggressive "

Till landed little baby leg kicks

Wonderboy landed clean hard straights that made till shake is head "no" (an indicator that the shot hurt him)

Fight metric doesn't count the impact of the strike.

Till came forward yea but he was only pressuring not actually throwing strikes.. he was doing what it seems is the blue print to beat Anderson and Machida... come forward.. pressure pressure.. feint get them to react them try and counter... thing is when Till did throw a strike Wonderboy was countering him cleanly. Till barely did anything at all other than come forward and get the knockdown in the 5th.
When a fight is that close, the fighter who gets the knock down at the end.....deserves to win the fight. The better fighter won. We can argue all we want with if a jab should be worth more than a leg kick, but one thing you cant argue with is a knock down. That round alone should have been 10-8.

Till landed little baby leg kicks

Wonderboy landed clean hard straights that made till shake is head "no" (an indicator that the shot hurt him)

Fight metric doesn't count the impact of the strike.
And the oblique kick that buckled and hurt Thompson? Im sure Thompson would have traded that for 10 straights to the face. It wont be Till limping tomorrow.

So you think there's a reason that almost all media outlets, fighters, and guys like John McCarthy all think that Thompson won?

Dana even danced around admitting that it was wrong

Back