Darren Till can be WW champion if the UFC give him about 2 more years to build up, and here is why.

Darren disagree with you,
he want it asap, he can scalp a top 3 fighter,
then he can get his title shot

people are tired to see the same guys fighting for the title,
it will be amazing if he can ko Tyron in one round,
he has the size advantage, and that's a big deal
He has the perfect style to make Woodley look like an amateur imo.

He already beat #6 Cerrone, how could you wait two years? The only way I can imagine if he turns into a Khabib
He's just 2 fights away from a title shot imo, first he should fight the winner of Perry vs Ponzinibbio, if he wins that then he should face a top 5 opponent.

Some people are still in their prime in their mid to late 30's, you suggesting Gunnar and Oliveira will be past their prime when they are 31 is kind of ridiculous. At least half the fighters you listed will be in their prime.

LOL
Two years ago people thought Sage Northcutt would be WW champ by now.

Thats being extremely optimistic after beating cowboy who is 34 btw. Its too soon for this hype

I guess you haven't seen the Dalby fight. He broke his arm in the second rd but kept fighting, he got his ass beat in the third rd because his arm was fucked but he didn't panick or think of giving up for a second.
No I haven't. I'll check it out

I think you're right and they are giving him the promotional push because of it. Oliveria is a dark horse though.

The only guy not in his prime 2 years from now would still be Till because at 26 he has still time to grow a lot.

Prime years for an mma fighter is not the twenties, and the thread you just made is the proof of that, most of the top 15 are over 30.

You made a good point, so I went and searched to see if there are any data on a prime age for MMA fighters, and here is what I found:

The average amount of years it took those 61 UFC champions to earn their belts was 6. The average amount of years into their career's that those 61 champions took to lose their belts was 7.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MMA/comments/5i0ebx/when_do_mma_fighters_enter_their_prime/

So according to the data gathered by this person, UFC champions won their belts at around 6 years into their career.

How accurate is this estimate? You might ask, just as I did.

Let's test it:

Woodley:
Started in Feb 2009
Won belt in July 2016
Took about 7.5 years to become champ.

Lawler:
Started in Apr 2001
Won belt in July 2005
Took about 4.25 years

Hendricks:
Started in Sep 2007
Won belt in Mar 2014
Took about 6.5 years

GSP:
Started in Jan 2002
Won belt in Nov 2006
Took about 4.8 years

So, Darren Till made his pro debut in Feb 2013. According to the estimate above, if he is to become a champion, statistically, it would happen at around 6 years, give or take 1 year.

Last edited:
no reason to have him dink around for a year. He needs to beat 1 or 2 top 5 guys, then get a shot. Should be within a year.

Some people are still in their prime in their mid to late 30's, you suggesting Gunnar and Oliveira will be past their prime when they are 31 is kind of ridiculous. At least half the fighters you listed will be in their prime.

You made a good point if we go just by the age without looking at the actual years they spent fighting as a pro.

If we look at the years they spent fighting, according to the statistics from that Reddit link, a fighter has around 6 years from their debuts to reach his peak (win the belt) and about 7 years from their debuts when he will start to down hill.

This goes with that saying, "It's not the year; it's the mileage."

He has the perfect style to make Woodley look like an amateur imo.

Till's takedown defense is questionable. Didn't Ceronne take him down? If Till were to fight Woodley today, he would get taken down and slaughtered, in my opinion.

Thats being extremely optimistic after beating cowboy who is 34 btw. Its too soon for this hype

I'm not suggesting that Till will become champion. I'm just saying that he can (as in potentially can) become champion if he takes about 2 more years to build himself up while letting the rest of the division to get old, then challenge for the title shot when that happens.

After this it's steep progress. I was thinking till is way above a scrub like Perry but maybe that would be a good booster fight.. tho it'll just be standing and till would knock him out.

I dunno, he looked amazing in the cerrone fight
So did Masvidal, and hes lost both fights since.

You make a convincing argument. I had more to say before you used the age card, very true.

That said, many people can jump out of the wood works over a couple years. Till looked awesome against a scared & under-sized Donald. I'm a massive Doland fan, but if you catch him early he will fold. He can take some punishment over-time, but he's not going to let you just KO him with no regard. He started to shell after getting cracked & was taken out early. Excellent style match-up for Darren as he's the longer, rangier, and much larger fighter.

On top of this, Donald looked less physically tight then ever before. I don't know if there was an injury, he doesn't have the muscle/frame for the weight class or what, but he was easily 10-15 lbs. lighter then his opponent & less lean.
I'm probably one of the biggest Cerrone fans around here and I was convinced he would have no issues with Till. But when they were both in the cage, came to the center with the ref to touch gloves and listen to the final words he just had that look on his face and I immediately thought 'oh no, he's going to lose'.

I didn't really thought the size would be an issue since he already fought Story (very strong), Cote (former MW) and Lawler (former MW). A lot of people go around here that he lacks something in the mental department sometimes in important fights, I always dismissed it, but I'm afraid they are right. :(

Anyway, he's always going to be one of my favorites and he's rarely in a boring fight win or lose.

Back