Darren Aronofsky's MOTHER! (Receives rare F CinemaGrade)

If you have seen MOTHER!, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
Yeah, I felt this way with Only God Forgives. I was kind of grasping the subtexts but failed to see it woven throughout the narrative. An explanation later was enlightening, but then, its a failed experiment, isn't it?

I think it depends on whether or not the director intended for the film to be interpreted individually by each viewer--as Refn has claimed for his films--or if he intended it to be interpreted only one way, as Aronofsky seems to have done here. Take another one of Refn's films, Valhalla Rising. While there is a defined series of the events that occurs in the film, it's hard to say exactly what the film is about. But Refn says that he intended that, and that while he was making the film he knew it would have to be interpreted.

"Anyone who happens to be burdened with good taste," LOL.

I'd like an explanation of why that critic feels that way. I know the reviewer that I mentioned earlier feels like the film is simply incomprehensible and he said that there seem to be almost as many interpretations as there are film critics.

You can almost smell the monocle in that response.

I never! Harumph a dumph!

Bruh, come back and talk to me when you don't hate Independence Day anymore. . .

I like my sci fi like Alien. Not buffoonish. Will Smith doing The Fresh Prince as a fighter pilot, and talking jive to an Alien? No thank u.

I'm glad I went in blind because from the beginning of the film, I was just taking things at face value, not knowing that it was allegory, until it really got out of hand, of course. If I knew who the characters represented beforehand, I think it would have spoiled the experience.

My favorite movie this year is still A Cure for a Wellness however Mother! was phenomenal. Good to see Aronofsky get back to form after Noah. It's better than Black Swan but not as good as Requiem.

Sounds like pretentious bullshit and doubt I'll watch it.

Really enjoyed The Fountain and liked The Wrestler, thought Requiem for a Dream was garbage. Haven't seen anything else he's done.

This was a very interesting movie. It felt like we were hovering around Jennifer Lawrence the entire time. I don't remember a time that the camera wasn't an inch from her face or hovering over her shoulder. I'm not complaining, it just stuck out quite a bit to me. I don't understand the symbolism whatsoever. I read that it's biblical but I've never read the bible so any reference to it is lost on me.

I definitely didn't feel like I was watching a bad movie. It was shot very well. Dialogue felt weird at times, almost too formal, not a big issue tho. The third act felt like a mess, seemed like it was chaos just for the sake of chaos but did its job in making Jennifer Lawrence lose her shit. The baby scene was a tough watch. It certainly has its flaws but I honestly don't get the hate. It's not a masterpiece by any means but not a pile of crap either. I'll round up from a high 6 to a 7 for the poll.

This was a very interesting movie. It felt like we were hovering around Jennifer Lawrence the entire time. I don't remember a time that the camera wasn't an inch from her face or hovering over her shoulder. I'm not complaining, it just stuck out quite a bit to me. I don't understand the symbolism whatsoever. I read that it's biblical but I've never read the bible so any reference to it is lost on me.

I definitely didn't feel like I was watching a bad movie. It was shot very well. Dialogue felt weird at times, almost too formal, not a big issue tho. The third act felt like a mess, seemed like it was chaos just for the sake of chaos but did its job in making Jennifer Lawrence lose her shit. The baby scene was a tough watch. It certainly has its flaws but I honestly don't get the hate. It's not a masterpiece by any means but not a pile of crap either. I'll round up from a high 6 to a 7 for the poll.

So it sounds like you had no idea what the movie was actually trying to say but you still marked it a 7.

So it sounds like you had no idea what the movie was actually trying to say but you still marked it a 7.

I was anticipating this response. Obviously I'm aware of God, If there are any biblical connections deeper than Bardem being him then I didn't catch them. My interpretation was that he slowly destroyed Jennifer Lawrence who represented Mother Nature. Then he brings back a similar version of her only to destroy her again, rinse and repeat. It isn't a totally incoherent movie. I assume people with a deeper knowledge of religion will have a different interpretation. I have a very simple view on it, I should've mentioned that initially. But anything beyond Bardem being God, if it's there, I wouldn't notice. I don't think that takes away from the main point, though.

Finally saw it, loved it.

Glad I caught it at the theater before it leaves.

I'm so late to this news. Just found out this week that Darren and Jennifer are dating.

Rumors-confirmed-Jennifer-Lawrence-is-dating-director-Darren-Aronofsky-2.jpg

<mma4>

I like darren but this is easily his worst film. While i like different arts and interpretations of myths or what have you. He failed to entertain me. It just wasnt a great film. I was severly disappointed because i love his work

Saw this movie last night having never read anything about it, seen a trailer, nothing. I only remember hearing how badly it flopped. In fact, I think I was put off after hearing Ms. Lawrence was in it. (she had a her tits out though so there is that)

I thoroughly fucking enjoyed this movie. As it started I took everything at face value and was concerned my interest in it would wane and it wasn't until about half way through the movie I realized what was going on.

I'll need to rewatch this movie to catch all the biblical references and allegories as I'm sure each scene has some reference to a biblical event.

I wasn't a fan of The Fountain but I may have fallen into the category that many seemed to fall into when they first saw the trailer for Mother!, believing it was a standard horror movie. I'll need to rewatch it.

9/10, best movie I've seen this year.

Saw this movie last night having never read anything about it, seen a trailer, nothing. I only remember hearing how badly it flopped. In fact, I think I was put off after hearing Ms. Lawrence was in it. (she had a her tits out though so there is that)

I thoroughly fucking enjoyed this movie. As it started I took everything at face value and was concerned my interest in it would wane and it wasn't until about half way through the movie I realized what was going on.

I'll need to rewatch this movie to catch all the biblical references and allegories as I'm sure each scene has some reference to a biblical event.

I wasn't a fan of The Fountain but I may have fallen into the category that many seemed to fall into when they first saw the trailer for Mother!, believing it was a standard horror movie. I'll need to rewatch it.

9/10, best movie I've seen this year.
The Fountain is one of my all time favourite movies. There's just something about it that touches my soul and punches me in the stomach at the same time. The inability to accept our mortality... and the score, man the score is beautiful. Visually it's very appealing too and it's by far the best acting performance from Jackman in my opinion.

Give it another try.

Back