DAREDEVIL on Netflix v.4 (Cancelled After 3 Seasons)

Dragonlordxxxxx

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Update: March 22, 2016

Dragonlord's Review of Netflix's DAREDEVIL Season Two
(No Spoilers)

peYLumw.jpg

Showrunner Steven S. DeKnight is one of the big reasons why Daredevil season one was such an amazing show. In season two, writers Doug Petrie and Marco Ramirez replaces DeKnight as the showrunners and the difference is noticeable.

The main cast is back and everybody gives a terrific performance. Unfortunately, the new character storylines makes some of them unlikable at certain points. Matt Murdock seemed unbearable and whiny-ish when struggling with his ideology and debating the merits of killing versus non-killing. Foggy Nelson, who was once a lovable, easygoing comic relief in season one, turns into a nag. Nothing blatantly wrong with Karen Page but her romantic dates with Matt was corny, complete with cutesy long stares, cheesy long kisses and silly no-sex outcomes.

But the new season is all about the two popular Marvel characters making their much-anticipated MCU debut – Frank Castle a.k.a. the Punisher (Jon Bernthal) and Elektra (Elodie Yung).

Bernthal as Frank Castle was terrific. But he sort of loses me a little whenever he talks too much since I’m very familiar with Bernthal’s other works and the similarities between his tics and performance can shatter the facade. Plus my idea of a Punisher doesn’t talk much or at all.

Yung’s Elektra is different but a refreshing take on the character. Instead of a being bitter and brooding, this Elektra is more of a classy, exuberant wild child. Her accent is sexy as hell and there’s just something in the way she says “Matthew” that’s very seductive.

The fight scenes are still impressive, especially the extended building fight sequence in episode 3. The story is somewhat lacking and the pacing is a tad dragging. Some of the fight resolutions are a bit disappointing and unsatisfactory, like it’s not as good as you imagined it to be. The Hand storyline is frustratingly unresolved. I suspect that they are intentionally stretching out the Hand plot because they will be main antagonists in The Defenders series.

For a show of this caliber, the quality control– ability to lessen plot holes, inconsistencies, illogical actions and dumb character decisions – in season two is regrettably lacking (see spoiler tag below for examples).

Overall, Daredevil season two is still a good superhero crime drama series but mired with poor quality control, disagreeable characterizations, protracted pacing and a less-than-stellar story.

Preliminary Rating: 7.5/10

In episode one, the mobsters shooting back at the wall, even though they couldn’t see anything on the other side, was cheesy and dumb. Even dumber is their first instinct is to not take cover. The first time we see the Punisher, he goes on full Rambo mode (instead of using stealth) in a hospital just to kill a low-level gangster. It was an exciting scene no doubt but really out of character. Not to mention the "missed" shotgun blasts with civilians all over the place.

In episode 3, Punisher and DD are fighting on a roof of a building. Frank knocks DD down but not out. Instead of making sure DD is incapacitated (strike one), Frank goes over the edge of the roof and fires a grenade at the parked motorcycles on the street. Even though the street is very well-lit because of the fire/street lamps and he has the advantage of concealment, Frank turns on the floodlights near him. So now, the bikers know his position (strike two). Frank DOESN'T SHOOT and just looks at the bikers through his scope (strike three). The bikers quickly run across the street and Frank STILL doesn’t shoot (strike four). Frank looks ready to shoot but half of them are already near his building and out of sight. Then DD interrupts his shot.

In episode 9, the Kingpin goes out of his way to make sure the Punisher is sent to the same prison as him. Fisk wants to kill a rival big shot inmate in the prison. Fisk explains to Frank that this prison boss is heavily guarded and only Frank is capable of killing him. Fisk says he has a prison guard under his pocket that will let him go inside the prison boss’ cellblock and that he only has 7 minutes to kill the prison boss. Once Frank is there, the guard lets him in the cellblock. Despite being advertised as heavily guarded, all the prison boss’ underlings are locked up inside their own cells. So Frank just casually walks to the prison boss’ cell and kills one underling to get to the boss. It’s ludicrous how easy it was to kill the prison boss. It was so easy that Fisk didn’t even need his convoluted scheme to bring the Punisher to do the job.

Link to previous thread: http://forums.sherdog.com/posts/115210383/

Last edited:
Update: April 12, 2015

Dragonlord's Review of Netflix's DAREDEVIL Season One
(No Spoilers)

U2HFsHK.png

In 1986, Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns revolutionized the comic book industry as well reshaped the superhero movies as we know it today. What is not widely known is that Miller started changing the comic book landscape much earlier in 1982 with his seminal run with Daredevil. He transformed a B-list superhero title into a highly-acclaimed urban crime saga which culminated in his magnum opus 'Born Again' storyline. It took more than 30 years but Miller's Daredevil has been gloriously brought to life in the new 13-episode Netflix series.

Netflix's Daredevil boasts one of the best superhero castings ever, each actor is wonderful in their respective roles as well as their characterizations. Charlie Cox as Matt Murdock/Daredevil is amazing. Cox's portrayal of Matt is very faithful to the source material, from tormented protector down to showcasing the conflict with his Catholic faith. Elden Henson as Foggy Nelson is incessantly amusing and his boundless wit serves as a nice reprieve from the gloomy setting. Karen Page's (played by hottie Deborah Ann Woll) different backstory and how her character was organically inserted into the main story were a nice touch. She's not just a dull secretary in this iteration but also a crusader for the truth.

Faithfully capturing both the sophistication and brutality of his character, Vincent D'Onofrio's Wilson Fisk is just phenomenal. Fisk captivates your attention in every scene he is in. When he speaks, it is very deliberate as if he is struggling to not accidentally let people see the monster inside of him or inadvertently release it. The show also boasts one of the best comic book origin stories adapted, from young Murdock's tragically moving tale to Fisk's sad and terrifying beginnings. Quick shout out to the other exceptional characters like Ben Urich, Claire Temple, Stick, Leland Owlsley and Wesley.

The show is not only enlivened both by the quality of acting and action, but also by the rich criminal world that has been created. Each leaders of the underworld faction are relishly intriguing. The fascinating Madam Gao is the juiciest of these characters and her interaction with Fisk are a delight. During her last appearance, she drops an succulent Easter Egg which comic book fans will no doubt pick up. There's also the enigmatic Japanese Nobu whose connection to a shadowy clan will certainly make longtime DD fans happy. It's admirable how patient and mature the show is, teasing future events and not just cramming it all in one season.

From the slick fight choreography to the outstanding camera work to the gripping score, the action scenes are just magnificent, truly one of the best in television history. Taking full advantage of the Netflix medium and hard PG-13 framework, the action is very bone-crunching brutal at times but not overtly graphic. One of the highlights for sure is the impressive one-take corridor fight in episode two that's reminiscent of the hallway sequence from Oldboy. There are some very minor nitpicks like how DD's fight repertoire could use a few less flips and some conversations are a tad stretched out but nothing that affects the overall quality of the show.

Edgy and smart, Marvel's Daredevil season one is a fantastic, gritty crime drama filled with terrific characterizations, excellent action and Emmy Awards-type performances. By going dark and giving reverence to the source material, showrunner Steven DeKnight and series creator Drew Goddard have created something special. Finally, this is the Daredevil I have been waiting for almost 30 years and glad other people can start to appreciate the character and the world he inhabits in.

Rating: 9/10

Update: March 15, 2016

Fantastic Trailers for DAREDEVIL Season 2 Featuring the Punisher and Elektra

Netflix and Marvel Entertainment have released the Daredevil Season 2 trailers featuring more footage from the new season. The new 13-episode season of the series will debut via the streaming service on March 18, 2016. The new season will also see Jon Bernthal debut as Frank Castle (aka the Punisher) with Elodie Yung also set to appear, playing the deadly assassin Elektra Natchios.

Just when Matt thinks he is bringing order back to the city, new forces are rising in Hell’s Kitchen. Now the Man Without Fear must take on a new adversary in Frank Castle and face an old flame – Elektra Natchios. Bigger problems emerge when Frank Castle, a man looking for vengeance, is reborn as The Punisher, a man who takes justice into his own hands in Matt’s neighborhood. Meanwhile, Matt must balance his duty to his community as a lawyer and his dangerous life as the Devil of Hell’s Kitchen, facing a life-altering choice that forces him to truly understand what it means to be a hero.

New Trailers for Netflix's Daredevil Season 2 Highlighting the Punisher, Elektra

Update: September 14, 2015

Original Showrunner Drew Goddard Reveals He Is Still Involved with DAREDEVIL

Drew-Goddard-Daredevil-091415-Dragonlord.jpg

The Martian writer Drew Goddard developed and was the original showrunner for Netflix’s Marvel’s Daredevil series. He had to drop out of the project before it hit streaming, but he did write the show’s pilot. Some have assumed there was animosity involved between Goddard and Marvel, but Goddard tells Collider that’s simply not the case.

"I love Marvel, I still work with them. I was in the writers room of Season 2 a couple weeks ago—it’s going. I think this sort of got portrayed as this sort of animosity, [but] it’s never been the case. They know I love their properties, they’ve been very nice to me, we just keep trying to find the right fit."

"My job is wonderful which is—I mean my friends are running it, Marco [Ramirez] and Doug [Petrie], and when I say, ‘What do you guys need?’ they say, ‘Come in, talk.’ That’s how it works, I’m still the executive producer. I show up and we talk about Matt Murdock and I say, ‘Do you need any more help?’ and they say, ‘No,’ and then I leave (laughs)."

"I’m always there when they wanna talk about it, because this is what I do in my spare time anyway, sit around and talk about Daredevil. So if it counts as a job, I’m always ready to do it."

Former Daredevil Showrunner Drew Goddard Says He's Still Involved with Season 2

Update: April 21, 2015

DAREDEVIL Renewed for Season 2 With Different Showrunners

Daredevil-Netflix-Banner-042115-Dragonlord.jpg

Daredevil will return! Marvel's acclaimed superhero drama just received a second season order on Netflix. But there's a twist: EW can exclusively report that showrunner Steven S. DeKnight (Spartacus) is stepping down from the series. Instead, writers Doug Petrie (Buffy the Vampire Slayer) and Marco Ramirez (Sons of Anarchy) - who worked closely with DeKnight and creator Drew Goddard in the first season - will both serve as the showrunners for season two.

The next edition of Daredevil will debut in 2016 as Netflix gets ready to release several other Marvel dramas: A.K.A. Jessica Jones, Luke Cage and Iron Fist. After all four shows debut, Marvel plans to team all its Netflix heroes for an Avengers-style series called The Defenders.

Daredevil debuted last week and received some of the best reviews of any superhero TV series, with critics praising the show for bringing grown-up dramatics, a cinematic style, and more realistic violence to the small-screen genre. Its single-take hallway fight scene became an instant classic. A fair measure of the show's creative success can doubtless be attributed to to DeKnight, who said he was trying to push Marvel's comfort zone, and made many unique storytelling moves. (For instance: the show's major villain, Wilson Fisk was originally supposed to be introduced in the first episode, but DeKnight rather boldly pushed him back to the very end of the third hour to more effectively build suspense around the character.)

"While previous commitments unfortunately prevent me from continuing on with Daredevil into its second season, I could not be happier that Doug Petrie and Marco Ramirez are carrying the torch," DeKnight said in a statement. "They were invaluable collaborators during our first season, and I for one can't wait to see what they do with the show moving forward."

'Daredevil' Gets a Season Two Order on Netflix but with Different Showrunners

Update: April 13, 2015

Every Easter Egg and Reference from DAREDEVIL
(Spoilers)

Essential Reading Guide to DAREDEVIL Comic Books

Daredevil-Born-Again-600x200-Dragonlord.jpg

Daredevil: Man Without Fear - The definitive Daredevil Origin by Frank Miller and John Romita Jr.

Daredevil: Frank Miller & Klaus Janson Vol. 1-3 - Miller's outstanding run that changed the comic book landscape and served as a precursor to The Dark Knight Returns.

Daredevil: Born Again - This is a must-own for any comic book fan. GOAT Daredevil graphic novel.

The above titles should suffice in your introduction to Daredevil in chronological order. Born Again is a MUST-READ!!! GOAT Daredevil story. If you still want more reading materials, then proceed below (also in chronological order).

Daredevil: Guardian Devil - 8 issue story by Kevin Smith.

Daredevil: Yellow - Loeb and Sale, The team that brought you The Long Halloween, Hulk: Gray, Spider-Man Blue, Dark Victory. This tells you you should read this.

Daredevil: Bendis & Maleev Ultimate Collection Vol. 1-3 - Bendis highly acclaimed run, Outstanding Maleev art with gripping story telling.

Daredevil: Ed Brubaker Ultimate Collection Vol. 1-3 - Another outstanding Daredevil run, Like Bendis run you have to read this.

Daredevil: Mark Waid Vol. 1-Current - Waid's Daredevil has received high praise and rightly so.

Update: April 3, 2015

New Gritty Trailer for Marvel's DAREDEVIL Netflix Series

Kingpin-Vincent-D-Onofrio-040315-Dragonlord.jpg

If you still weren't quite believing Netflix's Daredevil would have a down and dirty, gritty tone these two trailers will surely convince you. The new footage begins with a young and newly-blinded Matt Murdock being trained by martial arts expert Stick (Scott Glenn). "Time to stop taking a beating and start giving one," Stick advises Matt. From there we see full-grown Matt (Charlie Cox) wearing his makeshift Daredevil costume as he pulls himself up during a violent fight with a criminal and unleashes a flurry of punches and kicks.

We also get to see a lot more of Wilson Fisk, aka Kingpin (Vincent D'Onofrio), in these two trailers. He believes Hell's Kitchen needs to die in order for it to be reborn. That appears to be a good enough excuse as to why he goes around dishing out death without remorse. Daredevil debuts on Netflix, April 10th.

Darkness Falls in in the New Trailer for Daredevil Netflix Series

Update: March 10, 2015

DAREDEVIL Defends New York in Gritty New Full-Length Trailer

Daredevil-030915-Dragonlord.jpg

The first full trailer for Marvel's new Netflix series Daredevil begins with a classic declaration of purpose: "I used to dream what it would be like far away from Hell's Kitchen. But the city...it's in my blood. And I would do anything to make it a better place." It's not Matt Murdock who wants to "save" New York, but his nemesis - Wilson Fisk, a.k.a. the Kingpin. And his methods and intentions certainly aren't heroic.

The new clip presents a harrowing portrait of the bleak New York City Daredevil is tasked with defending - both as a litigator and a superhero - while it also offers a peek at Murdock's origin story. There are plenty of explosions, high flying acrobatics, brutal fist fights, bloody faces, one furiously upturned table, plus numerous musings on the nature of good and evil. All 13 episodes of Daredevil's first season will arrive on Netflix on April 10th.

DAREDEVIL Defends New York in Gritty New Full-Length Trailer

Update: June 10, 2014

Dragonlord's Fantasy Casting Vol. 8: DAREDEVIL

By now, a good number of people know that Frank Miller co-revolutionized the comic book industry with his groundbreaking 1986 limited series, The Dark Knight Returns. But what most are not aware of is that Miller sharpened his craft first with Daredevil during the early 1980's. Miller gradually turned Daredevil from the "blind swashbuckler" to a gritty anti-hero, incorporated martial arts to DD's fighting skills, established darker themes and stories, and introduced exciting new characters that will leave an impact on the book for years to come. In the end, Miller had transformed a second-tier character into one of Marvel's most popular.

The Daredevil fantasy casting has been in motions since early 2013 and most of the actors were already chosen back then. This fancast is for the DD movie series I envisioned and structured it into five parts with the "Born Again" storyline (the BEST DD story ever) as the fifth movie. I had fun casting the B-list villains that I'm also imagining a 8-episode per season Daredevil TV series spinoff in between each feature films.

ae36hj.jpg

64pez7.jpg

21kl17q.jpg

kbrj9k.jpg

2iuujck.jpg

Links to other Dragonlord's Fantasy Casting:

Dragonlord's Fantasy Casting: Old Man Logan

Dragonlord's Fantasy Casting: Captain Marvel

Dragonlord's Fantasy Casting: Fantastic Four

Dragonlord's Fantasy Casting: Spectacular Spider-Man

Dragonlord's Fantasy Casting: Justice League

Dragonlord's Fantasy Casting: X-Men Reboot

Dragonlord's Fantasy Casting: Daredevil

Dragonlord's Fantasy Casting: Inhumans

Dragonlord's Fantasy Casting: Ant-Man

Dragonlord's Fantasy Casting: Guardians of the Galaxy

Dragonlord's Fantasy Casting: Black Panther

Dragonlord's Fantasy Casting: Doctor Strange

Dragonlord's Fantasy Casting: Preacher

Update: May 24, 2014

Steven DeKnight Replaces Drew Goddard as DAREDEVIL Showrunner

Steven-DeKnight-Daredevil-02-Dragonlord.jpg

There's a change at the top of Marvel's upcoming Netflix Daredevil series. Drew Goddard will hand over showrunning duties to Steven S. DeKnight, who is finalizing a deal to board the 13-episode series, The Hollywood Reporter has learned. Buffy and Lost alum Goddard will segue to writing and directing Sony's Spider-Man spinoff Sinister Six, which will focus on the villains from that universe. He'll remain with Daredevil and serve as a consultant on the drama.

For his part, DeKnight served as showrunner on three seasons of Starz's Spartacus, and wrapped the series in 2013. His credits include working with Goddard on Joss Whedon's Angel and Buffy the Vampire Slayer well as Whedon's Dollhouse and The CW's Smallville. Netflix picked up Daredevil -- as well as Jessica Jones, Iron Fist and Luke Cage as well as miniseries The Defenders -- in a massive pact with Marvel. Daredevil is first out of the gate with 13 episodes.

Steven DeKnight Replaces Drew Goddard as Showrunner for DAREDEVIL Netflix Series

Update: May 6, 2014

Director Joe Carnahan Reveals His Trilogy Plans for DAREDEVIL

Joe-Carnahan-Daredevil-050714-Dragonlord.jpg

After refusing to trade Fantastic Four characters Silver Surfer and Galactus to Marvel for Daredevil, Twentieth Century Fox had to let the rights revert for the Man Without Fear back in 2012. Just before that happened, Joe Carnahan was attached to direct a reboot of the franchise, and as we already known from the sizzle reel which found its way online shortly after, his take on the iconic Marvel character would have been very unique and clearly Frank Miller inspired. As it turns out, the filmmaker had plans for Daredevil across three movies in three different time periods.

"What people don't realize about the DD project is that the producers of the film, got to me very late. They had a script that I read and I thought that while the action was wonderful, the story didn't really have any additional bite. There was nothing I suggested a trilogy as follows. Daredevil 73, Daredevil 79 and Daredevil 85 where I was going to do a kind of 'cultural libretto' and make the music of those eras a kind of thematic arc.

So the first one would be Classic Rock, the second one would be Punk Rock and the third film would be 'New Wave.' The problem was, the option was almost set to lapse so we made an eleventh hour bid to Marvel to retain the rights for a bit longer so I could rework the script. Unfortunately, it just didn't happen. Marvel wanted the rights back. I don't blame them."

Director Joe Carnahan Reveals His Trilogy Plans for DAREDEVIL Movie for Fox

Update: April 16, 2014

Kevin Feige Clarifies Who Owns the KINGPIN and NAMOR Rights

Kevin-Feige-Kingpin-Dragonlord.jpg

A few days ago, Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige sat down with IGN Movies for a lengthy interview about the future of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Feige was asked about the rights for Wilson Fisk, a.k.a., the Kingpin, who most fans want to appear in the upcoming Daredevil Netflix series in 2015. In response, Feige said that "Kingpin we either have or somehow share."

Given that Avi Arad has stressed that Kingpin was also a potential character that could be used in Sony's The Amazing Spider-Man franchise, it seems that Wilson Fisk falls under the same shared character umbrella as Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch.

Feige also commented on the rights of Namor and Elektra, but seemed to be less sure in his response: "No, Namor I think is a little complicated, the way some of them are. Elektra I think we have. I think that was part of Daredevil, and that's clean and simple."

The Kingpin is one of the most feared and powerful crime lords in the Marvel Universe. The character first appeared in The Amazing Spider-Man #50. He is a recurring adversary of both Spider-Man and Daredevil, but also clashed with the Punisher. IGN's list of the Top 100 Comic Book Villains Of All Time List ranked The Kingpin as #10. In the 2003 feature film Daredevil, Michael Clarke Duncan played the character.

Kevin Feige Confirms Marvel Studios Has the Kingpin Rights; Touches on Namor Rights

Update: November 7, 2013

DAREDEVIL, IRON FIST, LUKE CAGE and JESSICA JONES TV Series Coming to Netflix!

Netflix-Defenders-1109-Dragonlord.jpg

Press Release: The Walt Disney Co. and Netflix Inc. today announced an unprecedented deal for Marvel TV to bring multiple original series of live-action adventures of four of Marvel's most popular characters exclusively to the world's leading Internet TV Network beginning in 2015. This pioneering agreement calls for Marvel to develop four serialized programs leading to a miniseries programming event.

Led by a series focused on "Daredevil," followed by "Jessica Jones," "Iron Fist" and "Luke Cage," the epic will unfold over multiple years of original programming, taking Netflix members deep into the gritty world of heroes and villains of Hell's Kitchen, New York. Netflix has committed to a minimum of four, thirteen episodes series and a culminating Marvel's "The Defenders" mini-series event that reimagines a dream team of self-sacrificing, heroic characters.

Produced by Marvel Television in association with ABC Television Studios, this groundbreaking deal is Marvel's most ambitious foray yet into live-action TV storytelling.

"This deal is unparalleled in its scope and size, and reinforces our commitment to deliver Marvel's brand, content and characters across all platforms of storytelling. Netflix offers an incredible platform for the kind of rich storytelling that is Marvel's specialty," said Alan Fine, President of Marvel Entertainment. "This serialized epic expands the narrative possibilities of on-demand television and gives fans the flexibility to immerse themselves how and when they want in what's sure to be a thrilling and engaging adventure."

Update: April 23, 2013

It's Official: Fox Surrenders DAREDEVIL Rights Back to Marvel

Marvel-Studios-Daredevil-2012-Dragonlord.jpg

It appears that Marvel Studios has secured the rights to another very popular comics character. While 20th Century Fox's 2003 take on Daredevil was a bit of a misfire, the studio had been trying to move forward on a new iteration of the character in recent years. 30 Days of Night director David Slade came onboard to direct a Daredevil reboot in the spring of 2011, and Fringe scribe Brad Caleb Kane was subsequently tapped to pen the screenplay. Movement on the project was quiet for a full year, though, and the following summer Slade left the film to helm the pilot for NBC's Hannibal.

When Slade jumped ship on Daredevil, Fox tried in vain to get an iteration of the film going with Joe Carnahan. The Narc director pitched a hard-boiled, 1970s-set take on the character (he even provided a sizzle reel), but it would have proven impossible to get that iteration of the story off the ground before the cutoff date, and Carnahan understandably wasn't willing to start shooting without a finished script.

While we heard nothing about Daredevil after Carnahan's bid to direct didn't pan out, many assumed this meant that the rights had indeed reverted away from Fox back to Marvel Studios. The folks at Newsarama caught up with Kevin Feige at the Iron Man 3 junket and asked him if Marvel studios now had the rights to Daredevil, to which he replied "Yes."

So what does this mean, exactly? Well, it's no secret that Marvel develops a number of projects at a time, with some coming to fruition more quickly than others. Rumors have swirled for years that they have films based on Doctor Strange and Black Panther in development, and Edgar Wright's long-in-development Ant-Man only recently got the greenlight as that film will now kick off Phase Three in the latter half of 2015. As such, Marvel Studios will likely start developing a Daredevil film now that they own the rights to the character, but there's no telling when/if we might see it come to fruition.

It's Official: Kevin Feige Confirms the Rights to DAREDEVIL Have Reverted Back to Marvel

Update: August 30, 2012

Guy Pearce Reveals Turning Down DAREDEVIL Role Years Ago

Guy-Pearce-Daredevil-083012-Dragonlord.jpg

Guy Pearce: "The thing about Daredevil was that it was the role of Daredevil [that I didn't want to do]. Certainly in those days ... it was ten years ago. I've probably loosened up, and I feel a little more experimental in what I'll take on these days, but I still don't know that I would want to play the superhero myself, since I'm playing a different kind of character in this film.

And I think that, based on the first two movies, there's a great chemistry between Robert [Downey Jr.] and Gwyneth [Paltrow], and I just think the films have a fun, joyful sort of quality about them. I've just enjoyed them. So I just felt like I wanted to be a part of this.

The main difference [from filming big tentpoles] was that, when I did The Time Machine, I was pretty much in all of it, so it was a really grueling experience. Prometheus and Iron Man are really kind of cameo stuff, so the experience of shooting them ... I mean, on some level, it's tricky because you feel like a bit of an outsider. You don't really live the experience that you do when you're there all day every day with everybody. But at the same time, it can be more fun sometimes because you're just working in concentrated spurts."

Guy Pearce Talks About IRON MAN 3 and Turning Down DAREDEVIL Role

Comments: Guy Pearce would have been amazing as DD back in 2012. But it would have been wasted if everything else was still based on the 2003 movie.

Update: August 14, 2012

Joe Carnahan Talks DAREDEVIL and His Ideas for the Reboot

Joe-Carnahan-Daredevil-081412b-Dragonlord.jpg

Joe Carnahan: "I was brought in pretty late in the game, and my take probably didn't help matters since they had an existing script. But I just thought that if you were going to do it, this was the way to go. This is the way that intrigued me. It was initially something I passed on because Christopher Nolan had done such a lovely job with Batman and unless you're going to go after that trilogy, then that's how you have to think. You can't out-hurdle that, then what' the point of trying?"

"So it set the bar extraordinarily high, and I thought 'Well, if we're going to do this, let's have a discussion about Hell's Kitchen, and how it was really Hell's Kitchen in the 70s,' so that got me really excited. But as I mentioned, the clock ticking and this kind of October drop-dead date, it wasn't tenable. And having gone down this road in the past when you're trying to write something and shoot it at the same time is disastrous, and I think you'd need an adequate amount of time to put that script together in the right way. My brother [Matthew Michael Carnahan (The Kingdom)] was interested in writing it with me, so we'll see."

"As I'm finishing my kind of reimagining of Death Wish, I think the 70s is figuring into my conscious and subconscious mind right now. I think it was the last time music and movies were just tremendous. We just cranked out some great stuff. I think that's why the sizzle reel is able to be kind of abstract because people have such great fondness in their hearts for that decade, particularly the early part of that decade. I'm excited; you know the idea of having Daredevil on top of a building somewhere with the Serpico marquee in the background was enough, that image was enough, for me to want to make the movie."

Joe Carnahan Talks DAREDEVIL and His Ideas for the Reboot

Update: August 14, 2012

Watch Joe Carnahan's Sizzle Reels for DAREDEVIL Reboot

Daredevil-Chains-Dragonlord-1.jpg

In the wake of confirmation that 20th Century Fox was losing the character's rights to Marvel, director Joe Carnahan has offered an idea for what he had planned for their Daredevil reboot which seemed to be a hardcore, 70's take on the Man without Fear. After requesting and quickly gaining 6,000 followers on Twitter, Carnahan revealed not one, but two sizzle reels; differentiating in ratings.

Sizzle reels aren't composed of actual footage; they are spliced together pieces of film stock, bits of soundtrack, some concept art and, in this case, comic book panels that are meant to give the viewer a sense of tone and theme. Carnahan's Daredevil would have been closer to a Frank Miller film: tough, ballsy and fearless.

Carnahan tweeted: "DAREDEVIL NC-17: youtu.be/92cVd9HalHs via @YouTube The more violent version. More clips from the prior DD movie. More gruesome. DAREDEVIL: youtu.be/_j5rb3R5iWs via @YouTube The more PG-13 version. More comic panels. Less violent." The first video below is the NC-17 version and the second video is the PG-13.

Watch Joe Carnahan's Sizzle Reels for DAREDEVIL Reboot

Update: August 6, 2012

20th Century Fox Rejects Marvel's Plan to Swap DAREDEVIL with GALACTUS

Daredevil-Galactus-Silver-Surfer-Dragonlord-1.jpg

Reports that Fox and Marvel Studios are going to do some horse-trading with its Fantastic Four franchise to keep Daredevil in the fold were being strenuously denied by studio insiders. Deadline revealed during Comic-Con last month that Fox was facing a ticking clock over Daredevil rights, which will revert to Marvel's new owners at Disney if the reboot doesn't go into production soon. Those hopes dimmed when David Slade stepped out as director.

The new report had Disney willing to extend the rights, but only if Fox lends it the right to use in its own films the villain Galactus, a major baddie from both the Fox-controlled Fantastic Four and The Silver Surfer. Those insiders said that with Josh Trank aboard to direct, Fantastic Four is a big priority and the studio would be crazy to give away a cornerstone villain, especially when the studio is very lukewarm about rebooting Daredevil.

While Joe Carnahan has come to the studio with a take, it sounds like Fox is ready to let it revert to Disney-owned Marvel, unless Disney is interested in co-financing. That is what the current talks are really about, insiders said.

Fox Rejects Marvel's Offer of Extending Daredevil Rights for the Use of Galactus

Update: August 6, 2012

THE A-TEAM Director Joe Carnahan to Direct DAREDEVIL Reboot

Daredevil-Galactus-Silver-Surfer-Dragonlord-2.jpg

With the rights to Daredevil set to revert to Marvel on October 10th, 20th Century Fox is anxious to start production on a reboot. With director David Slade having exited, Fox is now looking at Joe Carnahan (The Grey) to helm. No official offer has been extended as of this writing, but Variety's sources say that Carnahan is the man.

Carnahan himself wrote a cryptic Tweet that said only: "'@carnojoe DD-MM-73' While it may mean less than nothing, a search for Daredevil #73 and came up with this quote: "I'm not a pawn - You can't make me fight against my will!"

Fox has been in talks with Marvel for a character swap of sorts, an arrangement that, if both studios agree, could keep Daredevil at Fox while bringing some big players back to Marvel. Basically, Daredevil could stay at Fox past the October 10th deadline in exchange for Marvel's use of Fantastic Four characters (like Galactus and Silver Surfer) in future films.

Joe Carnahan May Direct DAREDEVIL; Marvel and Fox Swap Comic Book Characters

Update: July 11, 2012

Director David Slade Drops Out of DAREDEVIL Reboot

Daredevil-062711-Dragonlord.jpg

Deadline reports that 20th Century Fox is looking for a director on its other major Marvel reboot, after David Slade just dropped out of Daredevil. The studio has a script it likes, but has to get the film into production by fall or risk losing the property back to Marvel Studios and Disney. Slade could not make the timing work as he is directing the pilot of the series Hannibal. Fox isn't hellbent on making Daredevil at this point, but the studio has a decision to make. If the movie isn't underway by fall, the rights will revert to Marvel and Disney.

Last April, Slade hinted that the Daredevil reboot might be dead and revealed in his Twitter that he's already not so excited about working on the long-gestating superhero film. "Daredevil update is that there is no real Daredevil update. We all want to make it but its going slow, & details are too boring to print," so Slade tweeted. He followed it up with another posting that read, "I am focusing on Hannibal hoping after that to be able to get a burst of energy back on DD."

Comments: Yes. Yes. Let this project die, Fox. Let Marvel have Daredevil back.

Update: March 15, 2011

30 DAYS OF NIGHT Director David Slade to Direct DAREDEVIL

David-Slade-Daredevil-031511-Dragonlord.jpg

Director David Slade (30 Days of Night) has been tapped to helm a reboot of the Daredevil franchise for 20th Century Fox. Given that the studio was in the position of either making another Daredevil film in the next few years or letting the rights to the franchise revert back to Disney/Marvel, a reboot was all but inevitable. Variety reports that the film will not contain material from the 2003 Mark Steven Johnson-directed Daredevil flick that starred Ben Affleck, nor the spinoff Elektra, so it appears that this will be a proper reboot.

Slade has been somewhat of a hot property following his first big-budget outing with The Twilight Saga: Eclipse, having been in consideration to helm the Wolverine sequel, Pride and Predjudice and Zombies, and the film adaptation of The Hunger Games. While 2003's Daredevil wasn't a complete disaster, it was obvious that the studio and director had differing opinions of how to tackle the material. Here's hoping Slade gets to make the film he envisions. No word on how soon production would start, but Slade is currently attached to helm the vampire horror flick The Last Voyage of the Demeter, so one presumes that Daredevil would immediately follow. Next stop: casting the Man Without Fear.

Update: Sources say the new story line will be the adaptation of the critically acclaimed Frank Miller-written and David Mazzucchelli-illustrated Born Again run of the comic series, which saw the Kingpin of Crime learn the identity of the superhero and begin to systematically destroy his life.

30 DAYS OF NIGHT Director David Slade to Helm DAREDEVIL Reboot for Fox

Comments: Born Again is my top 3 favorite comic book stories of all time. I hope they do it justice.

Update: February 5, 2010

Fox Planning DAREDEVIL Reboot; David Scarpa to Pen Script

Daredevil-042612-Dragonlord.jpg

The latest Marvel superhero movie to be rebooted is... Daredevil, the movie named after the sight-challenged hero played originally by Ben Affleck. Regency is mounting the remake with former News Corp No. 2 Peter Chernin producing. Writing the redo is screenwriter David Scarpa, who scripted The Day The Earth Stood Still for Fox, which will distribute Daredevil 2.0 or whatever it's going to be called.

The reason this is happening is simple: Hollywood studios with Marvel superheroes need to keep reinventing these Marvel movie franchises or the rights revert back to Disney-based Marvel. Fortunately, the properties are as resilient as the indestructible superheroes themselves.

In case you're unaware, Fox owns the rights to Daredevil, X-Men, and Silver Surfer as long as they continue to keep them in active development (or make movies). With the worldwide popularity of comic book films, it's a sure bet Fox will never let the rights revert back to Marvel. Therefore, Fox has to keep Daredevil moving forward, so they've hired someone with minimal movie experience to write the reboot of Matt Murdock.

Exclusive: 20th Century Fox Planning to Reboot Daredevil Movie – Deadline.com

Well this is good news to me. The character has huge potential and they really missed the boat on the first attempt.

daredevil is one of marvel's most popular superheroes.

and they're already making a captain america movie due to come out in 2011.

The simple fact is:

No one gives a fucking damn about Dare Devil.

Dare Devil is amongst the most boring, stupid, meaningless super heros ever penned. He is the bottom-of-the-barrell in Marvel.

He's also fucking retarded: A blind lawyer who kicks ass at night. It's ridiculous, stupid, and completely a waste of time.

Plus, the screen writer is the Day the Earth Stood Still guy? Fuck this.

How about a Captain America film? I'd be down for that.

lol, this response just oozes douchiness.

btw, daredevil is an awesome comic book hero. its not supposed to be realistic fella.

The simple fact is:

Dare Devil is amongst the most boring, stupid, meaningless super heros ever penned. He is the bottom-of-the-barrell in Marvel.

He's also fucking retarded: A blind lawyer who kicks ass at night. It's ridiculous, stupid, and completely a waste of time.

Why are you so angry all the time??

Well this is good news to me. The character has huge potential and they really missed the boat on the first attempt.

This. I think it would have been worthy of a sequel if they cast anybody other than Aflac.

The simple fact is:

Frank Miller Daredevil > Every other comic superhero.

I was never much into Daredevil but if they could make it better than the last one I'd watch it.

The simple fact is:

Agreed. Daredevil is a shitty Spider-Man rip-off, from his costume to his shitty rope baton. Basically daredevil is to Spider-Man as Moon Knight is to Batman.

this movie will fail for the same reason it failed the first time. there's no way to make Daredevil "modern" enough for the 10-15 y.o. crowd. he's a dude in a suit w/ sticks. Kick-Ass has that covered for the youngsters.

I'm oddly passionate about super hero films.

I do happen to attack the threads you make, though. No offense, as I really like your threads. LOL. They're cool.

I just hate so many popular movies.

Thanks. I am still getting used to some of the posters' personalities and mannerisms around here.

You have every right to hate Daredevil if that's how you feel. But to understand why some of us (or most of the comic book reading community) are fans of Daredevil, it's because of Frank Miller's historic run during the early 80's. Before The Dark Knight Returns and Watchmen, there was Miller's Daredevil.

If anybody wants to know why we love DD, I think one book sums up the best qualities of the character:

Frank Miller's Daredevil: Born Again
daredevil_born_again.jpg

Check it out if you want to.

Back