Danny Garcia vs. Shawn Porter. Ugas vs Barrionuevo & Kownacki vs Martin, Sep. 8 Showtime 9PM ET RBR

other than maybe Thurman's shorts vs Garcia, I feel like I just watched highlights of maybe the worst shorts in the sport

lmao, I did not even notice those until you said that. Now looking at just even the youtube previews, I 100% agree. So bad.

Garcia always has awful style, but I am surprised Thurman's wife didn't keep him in check. Porter always just comes across as trying to hard.

He and his dad show up in matching suits, and talking in-sync... always comes across as just weird. Not bad or good, just weird.

If I have to lay down real money, not sure I guess Porter. Seano often (rightly so) points out that it's stupid to sleep on Danny or act like people will walk through him given his career. Then again, is it he who might start looking old next? Who knows.

Edit to add, GREAT fight to make and I'm down for sure. Let's get it on the calendar!

It kind of weird, I think it's a great fight too. But I don't find Shawn to be great to watch. I really like his personality, so I tune in but he's pretty ugly to watch. Frustrating at times.

I like this because it's another case at WW of two of the best facing each other, if it comes down the pipe. 147 has been really good to us lately.

It kind of weird, I think it's a great fight too. But I don't find Shawn to be great to watch. I really like his personality, so I tune in but he's pretty ugly to watch. Frustrating at times.

I like this because it's another case at WW of two of the best facing each other, if it comes down the pipe. 147 has been really good to us lately.
I don't like his style but he makes for good fights with the right people. I thought thurman/porter was excellent.

I don't like his style but he makes for good fights with the right people. I thought thurman/porter was excellent.

That's true. The Thurman fight was a good scrap.

This one would be a treat, even if it won't look pretty.

Everything was pretty much pointed out already. Porter is a bad matchup for Danny and should smother and outwork Garcia. Porter can take a punch. That being said he may very well be kind of shopworn at this point.

It's all on Garcia's ability to time Porter and land his monster of a left hook. I may change my pick, but gun to my head I'd say Garcia catches him late coming in and gets the stoppage in some unexpected, dramatic fashion as we're all starting to believe Porter broke him.

Danny hits harder than Thurman or Kell Brook. Waiting on Garcia will be Porter's downfall if he allows it, he needs to keep ON Garcia, keep him on the ropes, move enough when he's not mauling him, never let Danny get set or get his timing down. Porter made Thurman look very uncomfortable in there imo, and would need to do the same to Swift here, Danny being less of a mover/footwork guy than Thurman was, that could be trouble for him. I still believe his power can bail him out, and that he should be the favorite but damn Porter makes it hard to pick a fight

Same. Guys that are willing to let their hands fly make for good shows with Porter.

You get guys who want to box him and its a shit show generally.

This is a great fight IMO. Probably with a close decision that will have the forum calling each other all sorts of names.

GET YOUR EYES CHECKED OLD MAN!

I'm practicing for fight night.

Hell yeah!!!!
images

Rooting for Garcia !!!!!

The thing about Porter is he's just so damned physical, it's a lot to deal with for most guys. If you don't have the legs or boxing ability to keep him off you then he's gonna get in close and maul you.

I don't think Danny has those skills to be able to fight with him on the inside or the boxing ability to continually herd him around the ring, and Danny isn't very Swift when it comes to his footwork and that'll make it easier for Shawn to implement his game than it would against somebody who is more fleet of foot.

That being said, Danny has a great knack for timing you when you come in, he's not a great boxer in the classical sense but he's got a hell of a counter hook on him and that's always interesting against a fighter like Porter who just wants to bull his way inside and rough you up from almost no distance.

B/c that bull rush could end up with him staring up at the lights if he's not careful against guy who can crack with a hook like Danny can. Broner was able to drop Porter with his hook when he got a bit lazy at the end of the fight, Danny will be able to do that and then some if Shawn doesn't mind his p's and q's.

The thing about Porter is he's just so damned physical, it's a lot to deal with for most guys. If you don't have the legs or boxing ability to keep him off you then he's gonna get in close and maul you.

I don't think Danny has those skills to be able to fight with him on the inside or the boxing ability to continually herd him around the ring, and Danny isn't very Swift when it comes to his footwork and that'll make it easier for Shawn to implement his game than it would against somebody who is more fleet of foot.

That being said, Danny has a great knack for timing you when you come in, he's not a great boxer in the classical sense but he's got a hell of a counter hook on him and that's always interesting against a fighter like Porter who just wants to bull his way inside and rough you up from almost no distance.

B/c that bull rush could end up with him staring up at the lights if he's not careful against guy who can crack with a hook like Danny can. Broner was able to drop Porter with his hook when he got a bit lazy at the end of the fight, Danny will be able to do that and then some if Shawn doesn't mind his p's and q's.

I feel that despite being a big smaller, Garcia is a bigger puncher than Keith. However, Keith is more well rounded, and has much better movement. That movement is really what really stifled Porters offense, and set him up for counters. If Garcia can hit Porter, he can certainly stun him the way Broner and Thurman did, and given that he hits harder, he could stop him. But Garcia's movement and overall boxing IQ is awful.

Good way to put it, since Porter is a bull rusher, but Garcia doesn't have the skill to "herd" him. He is good at what he does, but lets get real. He went into deep water with an old very Morales and Judah, and an undersized Herrera almost beat him through rough housing and output. Porter doesnt walk straight in like Lucas, he comes at all angles, and that is terrible for Garcia's timing.

I feel that despite being a big smaller, Garcia is a bigger puncher than Keith. However, Keith is more well rounded, and has much better movement. That movement is really what really stifled Porters offense, and set him up for counters. If Garcia can hit Porter, he can certainly stun him the way Broner and Thurman did, and given that he hits harder, he could stop him. But Garcia's movement and overall boxing IQ is awful.

Good way to put it, since Porter is a bull rusher, but Garcia doesn't have the skill to "herd" him. He is good at what he does, but lets get real. He went into deep water with an old very Morales and Judah, and an undersized Herrera almost beat him through rough housing and output. Porter doesnt walk straight in like Lucas, he comes at all angles, and that is terrible for Garcia's timing.
Way to ruin my hope

Man. I really think porter is gonna break Garcias shit off. Seems like a bad fight for Danny

Yeah if Porter is the bull in this scenario then Danny needs to be the matador and we've never really seen him do that, other than against Matty and Porter is a much different type of pressure fighter than Matthysse is.

Danny is gonna have to plant his feet and try to crack Porter as often as possible with hard counters then hold and rinse and repeat. I don't know if he has the stamina to be able to do it over and over again tho, esp against a style like Porter's which really tests guys' cardio.

I feel like it's gonna be a good fight but you kinda have to favor Porter here just based on the style of it. They're both talented fighters but the style match up favors Porter, imo.

Happy to see Swift fight quality opposition.

Back