Danny Garcia vs. Shawn Porter. Ugas vs Barrionuevo & Kownacki vs Martin, Sep. 8 Showtime 9PM ET RBR

MMALOPEZ

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
2360x1328%20Garcia%20v%20Porter_0.jpg

The two boxers were ordered to face each other for the vacant welterweight championship of the World Boxing Council. Both boxers are advised by Al Haymon.

Garcia and Porter, who are both former world champion, were in line to get mandatory shots at the WBC belt - but then world champion Keith Thurman vacated the title due to lingering injuries.

https://www.boxingscene.com/danny-garcia-vs-shawn-porter-purse-bid-on-friday--128415

Garcia vs Porter, Live on Showtime at 9PM ET
Welterweight Championship: Danny Garcia (31-4, 20 KOs) vs Shawn Porter (28-2-1, 17 KOs)
Welterweight: Yordenis Ugas (22-3, 11 KOs) vs Cesar Barrionuevo (34-3-2, 24 KOs)
Heavyweight: Adam Kownacki (17-0, 14 KOs) vs Charles Martin (25-1-1, 23 KOs)

Weigh-in Results
Welterweight: Danny Garcia (146.75) vs Shawn Porter (147)
Welterweight: Yordenis Ugas (146.75) vs Cesar Barrionuevo (146)
Heavyweight: Adam Kownacki (263.25) vs Charles Martin (246)

Odds as of 5:00 PM ET
Garcia porter odds.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Good fight.

Going to be a rough night for Garcia, Porter's style is going to be tough for him to deal with.

Going to be a rough night for Garcia, Porter's style is going to be tough for him to deal with.
Wasn't there rumors of Garcia getting the better of Porter in sparring?

Might've been bs gym talk

yup, Porter will be able to muscle him around, and just have an overall bad style for Garcia. I think he waits to long, trying to counter, but that will be hard when Porter bull rushes and then holds him.

Also of note, Garcia throws punches with his head down low (which is good to protect the chin), but with the way Porter comes in, I can only assume there is going to be a bad clash of heads.

Wasn't there rumors of Garcia getting the better of Porter in sparring?

Might've been bs gym talk

I had not heard those. Would be pretty interesting tho. I just watched the PBC highlights on youtube of their fights vs Keith. Garcia did a little better, and Porter got tagged quite a bit. However, the Porter/Thurman fight was a lot more action and at a higher pace. Keith looked a lot more spent during/after the Porter fight. Going to be pretty close, Danny did better than I remembered. Still think it is a bad style match up, because he waits to long, and I think he will get outworked.

Yup , and Danny Garcia isn't active enough for an opponent like porter .

Porter will win on activity alone with his mauling/brawling/smothering form of fighting.

I had not heard those. Would be pretty interesting tho. I just watched the PBC highlights on youtube of their fights vs Keith. Garcia did a little better, and Porter got tagged quite a bit. However, the Porter/Thurman fight was a lot more action and at a higher pace. Keith looked a lot more spent during/after the Porter fight. Going to be pretty close, Danny did better than I remembered. Still think it is a bad style match up, because he waits to long, and I think he will get outworked.

Excellent breakdown

Danny’s counter hook to the jaw is going to be tough for Porter to deal with also.

Porter’s chin is going to fall off a cliff at some point.

This is a great fight IMO. Probably with a close decision that will have the forum calling each other all sorts of names.

I think so too. It all depends on how early Garcia can start timing Porter.

I think so too. It all depends on how early Garcia can start timing Porter.

Porter also has a chin of steel, he took some hellacious shit from Thurman and kept coming. Garcia is going to have to find a way to keep Porter at midrange or Porter is going to wear him out with that mauling inside style. I think Thurman is better suited for a guy like Porter and still got all he could handle. Thurman has excellent cardio, and Garcia's has always seemed just okay.

Watch the exchange right around 30 seconds in. The right hand that Thurman lands should have knocked Porter out, I can't believe he stayed upright and kept coming.

Danny’s counter hook to the jaw is going to be tough for Porter to deal with also.

Porter’s chin is going to fall off a cliff at some point.

You would think, he's been hit plenty. Watch the video I just posted. Just crazy punch resistance in that fight.

You would think, he's been hit plenty. Watch the video I just posted. Just crazy punch resistance in that fight.
Hes tough as fucking nails. But he gets popped badly in every outing. Thats a dangerous game to play with Danny. Hes incredibly effective with his timing while his head is down and eyes are closed.

Hes tough as fucking nails. But he gets popped badly in every outing. Thats a dangerous game to play with Danny. Hes incredibly effective with his timing while his head is down and eyes are closed.

I might be crazy, but I actually think that when Danny throws those hooks with his head down, the fact that his eyes are on the mat makes it a little bit more difficult for his opponents to react properly to the hook. When a guy is not looking at you, you're not really expecting the hook that's on it's way. At least not with any level of accuracy or precision. I've seen it a few times, and thought the same thing.

Porter is the favorite for me here... Honestly seems like an awful matchup for Danny

Great fight, I was hoping these two would meet after Danny lost to Thurman.

I'll take Porter by decision after getting knocked down in the later rounds. An underrated facet of Garcia's game is his body work when he's on the inside, but I don't see him being that effective with Porter's mauling and clinching style. Danny will get Porters timing down, though, and start catching him coming in - especially if Porter takes a lead and gets careless. Still, I don't think he's going to put together enough volume (or points with knockdowns) to take the UD. And I don't see Porter getting stopped, either.

other than maybe Thurman's shorts vs Garcia, I feel like I just watched highlights of maybe the worst shorts in the sport

If I have to lay down real money, not sure I guess Porter. Seano often (rightly so) points out that it's stupid to sleep on Danny or act like people will walk through him given his career. Then again, is it he who might start looking old next? Who knows.

Edit to add, GREAT fight to make and I'm down for sure. Let's get it on the calendar!

Back