Danny Garcia vs. Shawn Porter. Ugas vs Barrionuevo & Kownacki vs Martin, Sep. 8 Showtime 9PM ET RBR

I think it's going to depend on how well Porter's chin has held up over the years. He took some hellacious shots against Thurman, and he stayed upright. But at times he that look in his eye like he's taken enough of those, and eventually it's going to catch up to him. People also underestimate Danny's size and strength sometimes. He's a pretty big welterweight. I thought he was the bigger guy in the ring against Thurman.

Yea, it is surprising how well he took Thurman's shots, tho a few did certainly make his legs buckle. But at the same time, Broner dropped him with just one quick counter, tho Porter was going in full force.

I think it's going to depend on how well Porter's chin has held up over the years. He took some hellacious shots against Thurman, and he stayed upright. But at times he that look in his eye like he's taken enough of those, and eventually it's going to catch up to him. People also underestimate Danny's size and strength sometimes. He's a pretty big welterweight. I thought he was the bigger guy in the ring against Thurman.

Against Brook, as well. Even Berto hit him with some very big shots, and for all of Berto's flaws, he can punch. Porter is a guy who could fall off all at once. I don't think we'll see it, yet, and I think his smothering style is bad news for Garcia, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Porter stopped in the not too distant future.

https://www.boxingscene.com/ugas-vs-barrionuevo-kownacki-vs-martin-on-garcia-porter--130513

Top 147-pound contender Yordenis Ugas and Argentine slugger Cesar Barrionuevo will battle in a WBC welterweight title eliminator while unbeaten Polish heavyweight contender Adam Kownacki will face former heavyweight champion Charles Martin in a 10-round attraction as part of a tripleheader live on SHOWTIME Saturday, September 8 in a Premier Boxing Champions event from Barclays Center, the home of BROOKLYN BOXING™.

*No Dirrell vs Benavidez here*

ADAM KOWNACKI GUNNING FOR STOPPAGE AGAINST CHARLES MARTIN

How is everything going in preparation for your upcoming bout against Charles Martin? Things are going good, I'm fresh off of my second session today and I'm going to the fights in Jamaica, Queens at Club Amazura tonight to support some of the local talent. I know Charles is going to be a tough opponent, he's a big guy 6'6 245 lbs, a southpaw, a good counter puncher and a former world champion, so I'm training hard to make sure I'm at my best.
GL: In your mind should a victory on September 8th lead to a world title shot?

Adam Kownacki: "I think so, beating former title contenders like Artur Szpilka and Iago Kiladze and now fighting a former world champion, what else could be next? I mean a title shot has got to be around the corner."
GL: How do you feel about being back at Barclay's?

AK: "Great! I love the arena, it's my second home. I've fought there a number of times and it's great to watch Brooklyn Boxing grow."

GL: Other than victory do you have a prediction?

AK: "I want to win and I want to do it in high fashion to earn my title shot."

GL: A high fashion win inside the distance?

AK: "I would love it. He's only been stopped once by Anthony Joshua. I'll try to make it an early night, but I know it could be a tough fight. I'm in good shape, in good spirits, but I definitely want a stoppage though."
GL: Against Kiladze you got off to a slow start, what do you have to do on the 8th to make sure that doesn't happen again?

AK: "Stay focused. What happened, I think I wanted to get off to such a quick start because when we were in the center of the ring before the fight I saw that his eyes were all over the place, I thought he was scared and nervous. I tried to get a quick stoppage because of that instead of staying focused and sticking to the game plan that my coaches came up with. I tried to bum rush him out of there and then after the first two rounds I felt like I was able to take over the fight. Now I'm looking to get in there, stay focused and take it one round at a time."

GL: In your opinion is Charles Martin better than guys like Szpilka and Kiladze just because he's a former world champion? Or do you think he became a world champion due to sanctioning body circumstances and flukish outcomes?

AK: "It is what it is, but at the end of the day he is a former world champion. I can't say that for myself so I give him a lot of respect for accomplishing that."

GL: Who do you like in the main event?

AK: "I like Danny Garcia. I've been a fan of his ever since he knocked out Amir Khan."

GL: Closing thoughts?

AK: "Come out to watch me on September 8th, it's going to be a great night of boxing."

http://www.boxingtalk.com/pag/article.php?aid=35683

Yea, it is surprising how well he took Thurman's shots, tho a few did certainly make his legs buckle. But at the same time, Broner dropped him with just one quick counter, tho Porter was going in full force.
Thurmans power is overrated, IMO. He's not that big of a puncher.

If Kownacki ever got into shape, I'd look at him as a promising fighter as he's genuinely talented. Sadly, I'm not sure if that's really on the horizon for him.

I don't like watching Porter fighting much and Garcia at 147 hasn't done much for me either. This fight is meh on my interest scale. I'm rooting for Danny because he used to at least try to decapitate guys. Plus his crackhead dad makes me laugh from time to time.

Showtime announced that it will stream Amanda Serrano (34-1-1, 26 KOs), 29, of Brooklyn, New York, as she attempts to win a world title in a sixth weight division when she faces Yamila Esther Reynoso (11-4-3, 8 KOs), 22, of Argentina, for a vacant women’s junior welterweight belt on the undercard of the Shawn Porter-Danny Garcia vacant welterweight world title bout on Sept. 8 at Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York. Showtime, which will carry the main card beginning at 9 p.m. ET, will stream Serrano-Reynoso as part of its coverage of preliminary bouts beginning at 7 p.m. ET on its Facebook and YouTube platforms. One other bout that could be part of the stream of preliminary fights is a four-round cruiserweight bout between Marsellos Wilder (1-0, 1 KO), 29, the younger brother of heavyweight titlist Deontay Wilder, and 39-year-old Ryan Williams (0-1).

I have porter by majority or split decision.

He's going to swarm Danny Garcia in the early rounds and rack up the points. Garcia will finally set into his groove by round 8, and win close rounds.

By then it will be too late.
Porter wins 115-113

Back