Danny Cherries Only Garcia vs Brandon Rios

^ I never knew that Robert Garcia was Rios' godfather. Brandon really does sound punch drunk though. I'd rather see him get a job doing something else involving boxing than watching him fight in his current state. He needs to salvage what's left of his faculties. The SACs will sanction the fucking fight anyway though. Someone close to him needs to step in and be honest with him about his future in boxing as a fighter.

Putting the Duck Dodging Danny stuff aside it is just sad to see fighters like Rios go down this road. He had some great fights and lots of entertaining wars but someone needs to save these guys from themselves. He sounds fucking broken. As much as I dislike Danny he is a legit hard hitting top 10 guy in his division and Rios is not the type to get stopped with one shot. He will take a beating for no reason at all. He can't win. He doesn't have the power or skill to do anything significant against Danny. That is part of what pisses me off so much. Danny is a really good fighter and can compete with anyone in his weight but he chooses to beat up guys who don't have a decent chance to win.

What happened to Porter?

Oh wait Porter is fighting a smaller guy who lost to a guy he already beat

I'd rather see Garcia/Porter at 147 and Rios/Granados at 140

He sounds horrible. Stutters his way through every other sentence. Trips over his words. He is obviously punch drunk. I'm pissed that they even let guys like him keep killing themselves in the ring. It's kind of ironic how he mocked Roach for being damaged by boxing and now he sounds worse himself.

Skip to 2:40 for the Danny Garcia fight announcement.

I never realized he was so punch drunk. He is only 31.

Rios has been sounding punchy for a minute. Sometimes it's worse than others.

I know Garcia just lost to Thurman, but there's gotta be a better opponent out there for him. Rios doesn't do anything (especially at 147) to make me find this interesting in the slightest. Garcia is going to time him and knock him around the ring.

I hope Brandon stops fighting soon. I don't really care for the guy but I don't like seeing boxers going out like that. His twilight years might already have a shadow hanging over them; a few left hooks from Garcia aren't going to help his chances.

For a dude who made fun of a Parkinson's sufferer, I think life has a heaping helping of irony coming his way.

I never realized he was so punch drunk. He is only 31.

He's been that way several years. After the Bradley destruction in 2015 he actually retired to save what was left of his health.

"My body is not the same no more,” Rios told HBO’s Max Kellerman during the post-fight interview. “I’ve been in a lot of wars. I think it's time to hang it up. I'm done. I think that's it. It was a great run, it is what it is. I'd like to thank the fans for coming out and supporting this. I know I didn't give a great show, but f*ck it, it is what it is. I don't wanna hurt my body, I don't wanna hurt my family, I don't wanna hurt my close friends around me, so I think it's time to hang up the gloves.”

Retirement didn't last long though. Now he gets hand picked by Danny Garcia for another headliner fight. I get that mismatches and tune ups are a big part of boxing but fighting a seriously punch drunk fighter who retired years ago because he was afraid of being hurt for good is just fucking lame.

Rios sounded punch drunk when he was a teenager. I think that's just his voice. But he has still taken too much abuse and should retire for good.

At relevant weights, who has a better resume of opponents than Danny?

He's been that way several years. After the Bradley destruction in 2015 he actually retired to save what was left of his health.

"My body is not the same no more,” Rios told HBO’s Max Kellerman during the post-fight interview. “I’ve been in a lot of wars. I think it's time to hang it up. I'm done. I think that's it. It was a great run, it is what it is. I'd like to thank the fans for coming out and supporting this. I know I didn't give a great show, but f*ck it, it is what it is. I don't wanna hurt my body, I don't wanna hurt my family, I don't wanna hurt my close friends around me, so I think it's time to hang up the gloves.”

Retirement didn't last long though. Now he gets hand picked by Danny Garcia for another headliner fight. I get that mismatches and tune ups are a big part of boxing but fighting a seriously punch drunk fighter who retired years ago because he was afraid of being hurt for good is just fucking lame.

Definitely understand your point. I agree being a horrible decision by Garcia's management.

He doesn't have to fight a risky opponent after a loss but surely there is someone else.

I don't even like Rios but he doesn't deserve a beating.

Thurman & Porter perhaps, maybe.
I don't think people are saying his resume is horrid btw.
It's the decision his management is selecting.
Hate to say it but Erik & Zab were shells.

Thurman & Porter perhaps, maybe.
I don't think people are saying his resume is horrid btw.
It's the decision his management is selecting.
Hate to say it but Erik & Zab were shells.
Absolutely not for either.

Danny has a sick resume. Arguing the proven name value he has on his W column is like trying to argue against Mayweather's. It's lame, some solid fights got made, and he passed everything but Thurman.

Didn't see entire Thurman fight, though Thurman got to early lead, didn't see final 4 rounds. But poster here who scores fights pretty dead on over years had it for Danny Garcia, so I really need to rewatch that fight. I have been one lazy fuck about that.

Absolutely not for either.
If you think Morales WASNT a shell, you're blind, bro.

Just because he had success in fights around that time does not change that fact at all.

You are looking at it the wrong way though.

His best win was against chinless Khan in 2012.

His second best win was Lucas in 2013.

Then he spent 4 years fighting shit opponents while turning down a rematch with Khan and Lucas and saying no to fights with Floyd/Pacman/Porter/Brook/Spence. So the fact of the matter is he avoided MUCH better fights than he actually has on his resume. Yes he fought a few top opponents but that does not change the fact he generally takes the path of least resistance and has consistently avoided the biggest fights in boxing until he has no other choice.

Who the hell turns down a fight with Floyd when the rest of the boxing world is dying for that payday? Who didn't want a shot at Pacman back when he was relevant? Nobody besides Danny.

Garcia has a very good resume and he could fight someone else than Rios.

You are looking at it the wrong way though.

His best win was against chinless Khan in 2012.

His second best win was Lucas in 2013.

Then he spent 4 years fighting shit opponents while turning down a rematch with Khan and Lucas and saying no to fights with Floyd/Pacman/Porter/Brook/Spence. So the fact of the matter is he avoided MUCH better fights than he actually has on his resume. Yes he fought a few top opponents but that does not change the fact he generally takes the path of least resistance and has consistently avoided the biggest fights in boxing until he has no other choice.

Who the hell turns down a fight with Floyd when the rest of the boxing world is dying for that payday? Who didn't want a shot at Pacman back when he was relevant? Nobody besides Danny.
No I think Im looking at it for what it is. Danny has fought a lot of good competition and has had some shitty ones as well.

His cherry picking is wildly over exaggerated.

at WW?
Pac obviously but he should honestly retire. I would say Thurman too, his early wins (like Chaves and maybe JSK) go a bit underrated IMO. Spence is close but I'll give it to Danny.

AT 140 I'd say Garcia and Crawford have faced similar levels of competition, though I'd narrowly edge it to Garcia.

His cherry picking is wildly over exaggerated.

Look at his choices.

You want the Khan rematch or a fight with the ghost of Erik Morales?
I'll take Morales. Again!

You want the Khan rematch now or a punch drunk Zab Judah.
I'll take Judah please.

Mattysse wants a rematch. You interested?
Nope I'm fighting Herrera and then Salka.

Pacman is interested in fighting you for your biggest payday ever!
No thanks, I need to really test myself with Paulie Malignaggi.

The Floyd Mayweather lottery ticket is coming your way!!
No. I really need to fight the worst guys out there for the least amount of money so I'm taking on Robert Guerrero.

Okay you can choose between Porter which will give you another shot at Thurman or Spence who is the biggest up and coming guy in boxing or Horn who kind of sucks but it's a easy road to a legit belt. Who is it gonna be?!?!
I want Brandon Rios.

Plus the fact when he fought his best opponent ever and lost there was serious talk of his retirement for many days after because his racist asshole Father and trainer wanted him to leave the sport because of the "horrible robbery" in a fight he clearly lost. He doesn't want big fights. He takes them every few years when he has no other option because the boxing world calls him on his shit. That is my definition of a cherry picker. Guys like Floyd and Pac earned the right to do that shit. Garcia didn't.

Last edited:
There's a strange coalition between Floyd, Canelo and Garcia fans. They don't fight the same style. They are not ethnically the same. The only thing they have in common is a very cautious, risk averse approach to managing their careers and picking fights.

Back