Daniel Cormier sets hard date in 2019 for retirement from MMA

THEGOATOFMMA

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

Though he started MMA late in his athletic life, Daniel Cormier has already cemented himself as an all-time great of the fight game. And now his run could soon be at its end.

“Come March, I will have 12 months, at max, left,” Cormier said Monday on The MMA hour. “I’m going to be done by March 20, 2019. I won’t be fighting again.”

“I’m done, I’m going to be done at 40,” Cormier said. “I won’t be back. There won’t be jumping around or ‘I’m done until I get the right type of fight.’ It’ll be over. I’m not going to be doing this anymore. I’ve said time and time again that I’ve lived a great life in sports, I’ve loved every moment of it. My family has revolved around sports. Not only my family, Selena and the kids, but also my mom and my dad. I’ve been the center of the athletic universe for my family for a really, really long time, and it’s time for that to be little Daniel and Marquita. It’s time for them to be the center of our athletic competition, and I just want to be one of those crazy dads that gets to yell on the sideline and just go crazy and brag about his kids.

“Like, ‘Yeah, my kid won this tournament, my kid won this gymnastics competition.’ That stuff excites me, man. I’ve always wanted that, and I’ve had my time. Since I was 15 years old, I’ve been wrestling international competitions and going to the Olympics and the NCAA championships, and fighting in Strikeforce, UFC, so I’ve had my time. I’ve lived a lifetime in the spotlight. It’s okay, I can be done with it when I’m 40 years old.”

That stuff excites me, man. I’ve always wanted that, and I’ve had my time. Since I was 15 years old, I’ve been wrestling international competitions and going to the Olympics and the NCAA championships, and fighting in Strikeforce, UFC, so I’ve had my time. I’ve lived a lifetime in the spotlight. It’s okay, I can be done with it when I’m 40 years old.”

He's had his time. Sounds like his mind is right

Deserves to beat Jones in his final fight.

Fighting is a young man's sport. But he can still hang. Beat a guy 10 years his junior last Saturday.

If this was pro wrestling he would have to put Gus over as the next king of LHW.

Goat clean LHW and real guanine person. Will miss him for sure!

He is a good man

I’ll miss him when he is gone.

You shouldn’t idolize fighters but we need more Daniels and less McNuggets

he cant!

we need to see him face Jones a 3rd time! i think he will stay. so many guys say retire then do not

Great fighter, great person who has had an absolutely amazing career (wrestling and MMA). I think he's smart to get out soon; he's not physically wrecked or punch drunk looks and like he'll be leaving on top - DC is the man.

Stipe and Jones are the fights I want to see. Maybe even Lesnar just for the fun of it and to end on a probable win and big pay day.

I'll miss DC when it's Volkan vs Tyson Pedro for the title.

Back