Daniel Cormier: “I’m not afraid of Stipe. Why would I be?

"I do appreciate that he’s being vocal because shit man, maybe if he had done that in the beginning, maybe we would have made some money"
This is ridiculous. They admit that they have these little social media tiffs for the sole purpose of selling fights. Meaning that they're fake. Why do people buy into it? It's so stupid.

It is but it's prize fighting, happens this way in boxing too, the better you sell the fight and more drama the build the more money you made.

It's why no one cared about Mighty Mouses fights and Conor is the biggest PPV star of all time.

I do appreciate that he’s being vocal because shit man, maybe if he had done that in the beginning, maybe we would have made some money,” Cormier said

Well said by DC. Stipe was always going on about how he wasn't being promoted / marketed, but when you have the personality of a dead moth, and don't want to invest any of your time and energy into promoting yourself it will be reflected in PPV sales.

No you don't have to be Conor, but fans want to get invested in a fight. You got to show a little something to get some hype built up. Seems like Stipe is only now starting to realize this as now a guy that is HUGELY charismatic (Derrick Lewis) is getting the title shot and he's being left behind wondering why nobody really cares.

He's not afraid to fight Stipe. Obviously

Does he know Stipe is more likely to derail his upcoming pay day than Lewis and is avoiding him because of that? Yeah of course he is but I don't really blame him tbh

Gotta look out for #1 in this sport and that's all DC is doing here. Sucks for Stipe but that's just the business we're in. Go win a fight and fight for the title next when Brock fails a test or DC vacates the title

DC is like that friend who beats you once at Madden or 2k and won’t play you again because they know 9/10 times you whoop their ass.

He stopped Stipe in 1 round.

He's planning to retire next year he only really wanted Brock then possibly one final match with Jones to end his career.

I believe he's not 100% right now but UFC offered him big money to save the card and I believe DC thinks even not at his best he shouldn't have too much trouble with Black Beast.

He's got nothing to gain by beating a short notice Stipe who he just starched in one round, does nothing for his legacy. This would just be doing a favour for Stipe when he'll get just as much if not more money defending against Lewis who is ranked #2.

“I’m not trying to say I’m afraid of Stipe. I swear I’m not afraid of Stipe Miocic. Why would I be?” Cormier told MMAWeekly after his fight at UFC 230 was announced. “It just did not make sense right now. Again, if it happens, it will happen. I don’t mind fighting him again. It’s not like it was the hardest fight."

While Cormier appreciates that Miocic is banging the drum so loudly because he really wants a chance at redemption, the reigning heavyweight champion wishes he had been this vocal in the lead up to the first fight because then maybe they would have generated a little more interest from the fans.

“I think it’s crazy in the sense that he says ‘you won the first one, that will be the last one you ever win’. It’s not like he was smashing me,” Cormier said in response to Miocic. “He says he was winning the fight. I was hitting him with some clean shots. It was an even round and he got knocked out.

“I do appreciate that he’s being vocal cause s–t man maybe if he had done that in the beginning, maybe we would have made some money. The pay-per-view didn’t do that well because we did not make money. Obviously, issues sell. Maybe he’s trying to stir the pot a little bit to get some interest in our fight.”

All that being said, Cormier added that chances are he’s never going to see Miocic staring across the Octagon from him again because he likely has two fights left in his career and the list of opponents he’s interested in taking on after facing Lewis at UFC 230 is rather short.

Cormier says his final fight will likely come against either Brock Lesnar or Jon Jones and then he’s going to call it a career next March as he’s already promised his children that he’d be retired before his 40th birthday. Unfortunately that means Miocic probably won’t get another chance at him but Cormier isn’t going to alter his plans for anybody because he’s earned the right to retire when he’s ready.

https://www.mmaweekly.com/daniel-cormier-im-not-afraid-of-stipe-miocic-why-would-i-be

KTFO in round 1
He needs to beat somebody before gettin a rematch.

All I know is that one minute you were too injured to compete, the next minute you are taking a fight against a man you are openly saying you think is going to be easy money. Those are the facts..

I think DC believes even injured he shouldn't have too much trouble with Black Beast.

He just starched Stipe 1st round, fighting Stipe short notice does absolutely nothing for DC, his fans already saw him smash him easily.

Unfortunate to hear and even a bit disappointing as a DC fan but he is looking to cash out as much money as possible before calling it a career. I can't blame him for that.

This is what happens when the UFC plays favorites. Everyone then rightfully believes they are entitled to the same treatment and the UFC loses the ability to govern effectively. Stipe is acting entitled because he's been trained to by how the UFC operates. Fighters are being trained to bark like dogs for attention.

Unfortunate to hear and even a bit disappointing as a DC fan but he is looking to cash out as much money as possible before calling it a career. I can't blame him for that.
honestly dont blame him too

It was competitive up to that point, but I think DC's being generous saying it was even. DC was winning imo, hitting him with the harder and cleaner shots. One of the best 1 round fights/main events of the year?

Cant blame it too specially if he agrees to fight Jones on his retirement fight
Hard for Stipe but he lost he lost thats the game

The Black Beast bout proves DC is being a little facile. The UFC probably didn't offer him Lewis money to fight Stipe, but would he have accepted if they had?

I agree with the fact that Stipe apparently isn't a draw. Can't fault DC for wanting to get paid before he rides off into the sunset...

I’m a big Stipe fan but he blew that fight big time. I mean he got KOd by DC, no one gets KOd by DC.

This is what happens when the UFC plays favorites. Everyone then rightfully believes they are entitled to the same treatment and the UFC loses the ability to govern effectively. Stipe is acting entitled because he's been trained to by how the UFC operates. Fighters are being trained to bark like dogs for attention.
Now that I think about it, we're all being trained in this exact same manner. Hmmm... What's going on.
<TheWire1>

hopefully DC keeps doing commentary/booth stuff after he retires, love the guy and i'd hate to not have him here.

Makes sense.

DC is like 50, he has a few left might as well use them on high selling bouts.

All I know is that one minute you were too injured to compete, the next minute you are taking a fight against a man you are openly saying you think is going to be easy money. Those are the facts..

he's basically saying, as he pointed out...he can fight lewis while being slightly injured but not stipe..cause stipe is a harder fight...though you'd never know that by their 1st fight..

He stopped Stipe in 1 round.

He's planning to retire next year he only really wanted Brock then possibly one final match with Jones to end his career.

I believe he's not 100% right now but UFC offered him big money to save the card and I believe DC thinks even not at his best he shouldn't have too much trouble with Black Beast.

He's got nothing to gain by beating a short notice Stipe who he just starched in one round, does nothing for his legacy. This would just be doing a favour for Stipe when he'll get just as much if not more money defending against Lewis who is ranked #2.

dc will have lewis on the ground in under a minute..and then it's pretty much over...I give it end of 1st round stoppage or 2nd round...

Back