Dancing for Footwork

White Snake

Gold Belt
Reaction score
Do you guys think doing dance styles like the Foxtrot, Mambo, Tango, Paso Doble, Rumba, Jive, Viennese Waltz, Cha Cha, Quickstep, Samba and maybe even Hip Hop can help with your footwork for boxing?

Do you guys think doing dance styles like the Foxtrot, Mambo, Tango, Paso Doble, Rumba, Jive, Viennese Waltz, Cha Cha, Quickstep, Samba and maybe even Hip Hop can help with your footwork for boxing?

i dont think it would help your footwork for boxing directly. But indirectly, it would help your dexterity, coordination and balance, which I guess would help you improve your footwork for boxing........

I just would hate admitting to anyone in my boxing gym that my new and improved footwork was thanks to the mamba, cha cha, or wathcing dancing with the stars........ Maybe capoiera would be more acceptable....huh?

I guess, i have a friend who break dances, ( complicated steps) and his footwork looks like any new coming boxer with flat feet.

I'm Trinidadian, we dont use much feet in dancing. Its all in the hips.

i dont think it would help your footwork for boxing directly. But indirectly, it would help your dexterity, coordination and balance, which I guess would help you improve your footwork for boxing........

I just would hate admitting to anyone in my boxing gym that my new and improved footwork was thanks to the mamba, cha cha, or wathcing dancing with the stars........ Maybe capoiera would be more acceptable....huh?

Sugar Ray Robinson would highly disagree with you, there's TV footage of him dancing all over the place.

Floyd Mayweather would agree with you, too, he and Laila Ali, as well as Evander Holyfield, and Kostya Tszyu in Australia's version all danced with the stars.

Of course it helps any kind of Fighting footwork. No one's manhood should be threatened by that, fighting footwork and dance go hand-in-hand, great way to meet women, too.

Monty Betham an ex-rugby league player turned pro-boxer won Dancing with the Stars here in New Zealand too.

good foot work is basically good rythmn

dancing certainly wont hinder it

fuck yeah dancing enchances your fighting and footwork. it teaches you balance, weight distribution, subtle pivots, it hones timing and rhythm, and most importantly, it teaches you to use your hips. just take and peek at jersey joe and eman augustus. those guys dance in place so seemingly innocent, but each of those subtle body shifts conceal a deadly hook waiting to be unloaded.

not that i take dance. but i dance circles around the heavybag all the time. no punches. i think its supplemented my movement and footwork tremendously.

it will definitely help you quicken your feet but as you probably already know boxing has awkward footwork. so maybe if you practice both at the same time you can develop footwork and develop speed and movement with the dancing. let me know how it turns out! i might pick it up myself if it works!

Sugar Ray Robinson would highly disagree with you, there's TV footage of him dancing all over the place.

Floyd Mayweather would agree with you, too, he and Laila Ali, as well as Evander Holyfield, and Kostya Tszyu in Australia's version all danced with the stars.

Of course it helps any kind of Fighting footwork. No one's manhood should be threatened by that, fighting footwork and dance go hand-in-hand, great way to meet women, too.

Good call. I was wondering why there is a boxer on every season of DWTS.

Its also the best way to pass off boxing training as 'spending quality time just to be with you baby'.

it will definitely help you quicken your feet but as you probably already know boxing has awkward footwork. so maybe if you practice both at the same time you can develop footwork and develop speed and movement with the dancing. let me know how it turns out! i might pick it up myself if it works!

I have no training in ballroom dancing though, LOL. I am primarily a pop/hip hop guy.

some of the greatest strikers danced in the ring,

ali,

floyd

sugar ray,

anderson silva : )

it's more of a staying loose and moving thing, making it fun and letting it flow than an increase in technicality of footwork I'd say .

kinda like Georges' fighting w/ duh' riddum.

Part of one of my high school french classes was learning to dance. (I know WTF???) I hated it until about two weeks after learning the waltz. I was sparring a guy in TKD. He came flying at me with a kick, I waltzed out of the way and hit him with a right. Never looked back.:icon_chee

It is worth a shot. Don't let it distract you from the more rational probability that working on your footwork while boxing is probably the best way to improve your foot work while boxing.

Not always true. There are guys who have boxed for years and years who have terrible footwork, whom it wouldn't hurt to learn a dance or two.

It is worth a shot. Don't let it distract you from the more rational probability that working on your footwork while boxing is probably the best way to improve your foot work while boxing.

Beat me to it.

Back