Dana White: "That's why I put that in the contract"

Watching GSP come back and take the MW belt from an inactive champion was awesome in itself. GSP can do whatever he wants after that. The division needed a fresh start anyways.

GSP has always been a low risk fighter.

That's why he went years without finishing and had a huge string of boring fights. He doesn't take risks.

I can't knock on the guy, his record speaks for itself. When you're making that kind of money, there's no reason to fight often. He can come back in a few years and make a couple more million. These UFC fans that think the belt is some prestigious title are delusional.

Until a Bellator or One, or Rizin fighter can be ranked and fight for the world title, it isn't a world title. It's just a belt the UFC invents and controls.

It's not legit, doesn't mean shit.. There' no rankings or any sort of legit system. It's all bullshit.

Like how can Woodley say he's the world champion when Ben Askren has been a world champion for years, has never lost, and didn't even get a realistic offer to compete?

Are you thick, TS?
The "verbiage" is that GSP has to defend IF he stays in UFC.
What he did instead if vacate the belt, essentially nullifying his win.

You can't force someone to fight. You can force him to defend, IF he is still in the organisation.
But as of now, GSP for all intents and purposes quit due to health reasons.

I dont believe for a second that Dana actually wanted GSP to stay at MW, he's in on the plan or knows what GSP is planning and likes it. You're trying to tell me that the prospect of GSP vs Conor doesnt make Dana insta-hard the second he thinks about it? Puhleaseeee, thats the biggest fight the UFC could ever put together. Dana has wet dreams about that fight.

During interviews Dana was trying really hard to act angry at GSP, "No no I really want him to fight at MW, guys I even put it in the contract, butttttt you know you cant make a fighter fight if he doesnt wanna fight *wink wink*". Then GSP supposedly gets scoliosis or trichinosis or whatever tf it was, and suddenly its vacate and nobody gives two shits about the almighty contract.

Its all bullshit, both from Dana and GSP. Dana always knew, and Dana doesnt care. Dana likes the idea of GSP fighting Conor a lot more than him staying at MW and getting mauled.

Are you thick, TS?
The "verbiage" is that GSP has to defend IF he stays in UFC.
What he did instead if vacate the belt, essentially nullifying his win.

You can't force someone to fight. You can force him to defend, IF he is still in the organisation.
But as of now, GSP for all intents and purposes quit due to health reasons.

So what exactly was the purpose of the contract? If GSP can just declare it void by vacating? Seems like a pretty big oversight.

Better than holding the belt ransom.

it was already held ransom, because they set up the fight as a championship fight to begin with. honestly, are people playing dumb, or do they really not understand this point?

GSP came in for an easy fight and then went running, just like he did when strict drug testing came in. Or when he left the MMAAA Union in despair after he got his deal done lmao. Conor was right

Fuck you. GSP did VADA for the Hendricks fight back when everybody was roiding. He then told the UFC to fuck it self until there was proper drug testing which came in years after he left

it was already held ransom, because they set up the fight as a championship fight to begin with. honestly, are people playing dumb, or do they really not understand this point?
They as in the UFC, how the company hold their own belt ransom?

Anyone else feel a little bad for WME? They got duped into buying UFC for over $4 billion by the Fertittas while their buddy Dana is running into the ground. Bellator is gaining ground on them now. Lol

The worst thing is Dana doesn't even seem to realize what he is doing wrong. He started the whole champions not defending their belt by coddling McGregor, it may have made them a lot of money in the short term but isn't a good long term decision.

Things they should do to turn things around:
1) make champions defend belts and don't let fighters move up/down weight to challenge for the belt if they haven't defended their title at least 3 times. Dillashaw-Mighty Mouse is an example.
2) way too many shit events and events in general to the point of over saturation. Cut down the number of events and make the PPV fights better.
3) forcing WMMA on to main cards when they're not worthy. I don't mind watching WMMA fights but they've put shitty fights on the main card over more deserving fights on the undercard. Anyone who follows the sport knows how shitty the quality of competition is there.

I used to buy a lot more fights a couple years ago, now I hardly see anything with buying

GSP came in for an easy fight and then went running, just like he did when strict drug testing came in. Or when he left the MMAAA Union in despair after he got his deal done lmao. Conor was right

You goofs keep parroting that GSP ran from USADA when in reality it wasn't even talked about when he retired.
And you keep getting called out for it and laughed out of threads, but there's always a new dimwit trying to spread a false narrative.

The contract was drafted by MMA lawyer Craig Rehage.

Anyone else feel a little bad for WME? They got duped into buying UFC for over $4 billion by the Fertittas while their buddy Dana is running into the ground. Bellator is gaining ground on them now. Lol

Really?
UFC is worth $5b now (as of 9/17) & Bellator lost millions on their PPV & ratings are down & obviously payroll is up

I don't think you can be less accurate

UFC is having their second biggest year of profit in 2017 with a possibility of their best (due to budget cuts)

The WME investors are incredibly happy & just re-invested $1.1b into WME & WME is up 14.5%

You can say you don't like the WME era as a fan, but that was very inaccurate as far as money goes

Last edited:
Well look at it this way. I work as an independent contractor. I signed a contract for 12 months. It specifically says that I will be an employee for the next 12 months. Now, I can quit anytime. I would lose my bonus (which comes at the completion of my full 12 months), but I can walk out at any moment and take every penny I've earned up to that point.

GSP probably lost some monetary incentives by vacating, but he can walk away whenever he wants and Dana can't change that.

Short version: contracts are weird.

It's funny to see people putting all the blame on Dana.

Dana's only "crime" in this nonsense was to allow GSP to fight Bisping in the first place. He should instead have made Bisping defend his belt against ranked top contenders. If GSP wanted back, well, he could fight someone else.

So, GSP did something condemnable. The clause is probably a fine, the obligation to vacate in case he refuses to fight, and so on: someone could find the actual contract and see. In any case, it's a contract-breaching untrustworthy athlete, who came back to hand pick a money fight. And his fans go around like crazed girls claiming this nonsense cements him as GOAT, it's just ludicrous.

Maybe Dana came out on top. Used a GSP comeback title fight to make cash knowing he'd only fight once and then cut his check in half when he did.

I don't care about the belt situation like some of the crybabies here do.
I gave up on belts a long time ago, even before Conor i saw the writing on the wall. I just want good fights.

Yes.......... I thought he was faking the GONNA FIGHT ... just to keep his name out there for the MONEY... But happily He did Fight. When the time is right he will again IF things line up. Conor needing a big$ and Dana Being Worked by GSP again...lol.....Maybe Even Diaz? imo gsp would make short work of all three.(both diaz's)

Yea I agree. Neither of them would be able to stop his td's.

It's funny to see people putting all the blame on Dana.

Dana's only "crime" in this nonsense was to allow GSP to fight Bisping in the first place. He should instead have made Bisping defend his belt against ranked top contenders. If GSP wanted back, well, he could fight someone else.

So, GSP did something condemnable. The clause is probably a fine, the obligation to vacate in case he refuses to fight, and so on: someone could find the actual contract and see. In any case, it's a contract-breaching untrustworthy athlete, who came back to hand pick a money fight. And his fans go around like crazed girls claiming this nonsense cements him as GOAT, it's just ludicrous.

I kinda have to agree. I understand why gsp did what he did. I even think it was a smart move. But we can't act like that wasn't some shady shit. I feel bad for the true gsp fans who really thought he was going to defend the belt.

I kinda have to agree. I understand why gsp did what he did. I even think it was a smart move. But we can't act like that wasn't some shady shit. I feel bad for the true gsp fans who really thought he was going to defend the belt.

I think his more extreme fans are the ones robbed of the "legacy" and "nobility" they like to attribute to GSP. They will go around trying to sell the erroneous idea that beating Bisping is something extraordinary, but deep down they are disappointed.

I agree it was a smart move. But it was unethical and it gamed a system, and actions like that one make life in society so unbearable.

Was he still getting millions in sponsers during his layoff?

Yes, my theory is he was going to lose his sponsors if he didnt compete, that is why he went on a very very contract renegotiation, then he fought and won. His stocks went up, keeps his sponsors for a couple of more years while he sits out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back