Dana White on Tito Managing Cyborg: She

Tito's representation of Cyborg has been cringe-worthy every time he's opened his mouth. I cant understand their decision to pass on the UFC's offer to have her on payroll in Invicta. Maybe Tito's a genius and I just dont see his brilliance, but I cant see how choosing Tito has been anything but a huge mistake.

In a way though, the UFC really dodged a bullet as I think a drug scandal in the early days of their WMMA division could have been catastrophic. We can thank Tito for that I guess.

What kind of drugs are you doing? The UFC's offer to Fedor was ludicrously more money than he got from Strikeforce. Strikeforce made M-1 a better deal because they were willing to pretend M-1 was a legitimate player in MMA. The UFC doesn't co-promote and wouldn't offer M-1 a cut of the revenue.

At no point was the deal Fedor ended up with better than what he was offered by the UFC. Instead of finishing the relevant portion of his career getting beaten by the UFC's heavyweights, instead he finished it getting beaten in a second tier organization. True, the guys who retired Fedor were all UFC fighters on the outs (or like Bigfoot, yet to be signed), it's still rather sad that he ended his career looking like he'd been avoiding the best possible fights, and then, sadly enough, getting cut by Zuffa/UFC anyway, lol.

Fedor vs Brock would have been light years ahead of anything he stood to make in Strikeforce.

Fedor wasn't cut from anywhere. He never signed a contract with Zuffa or Strikeforce. It was with Showtime, and he was never cut from it. The guys Fedor fought and lost to where without a doubt some of the best in the world and very dangerous, not second-tier at all.

There's more to the story that most people don't know. UFC was going to put Cyborg under contract and pay her NOT to fight in the UFC. They were going to allow her to work for Invicta and when she felt the time was right and could make 135, she could transition back over to the UFC to fight Ronda.

Tito in his infinite wisdom thought Cyborg would be better off just going to Invicta and making a name for herself. So instead of having guaranteed UFC money and an instant shot at Ronda, she risks losing in Invicta and never being in the UFC. Great job.

Except White was right that Fedor's management was terrible and stupid, and he's right that having Tito of all people as a manager is pretty crazy.

Tito's main talent was hyping up his own fights, but he can't string a normal sentence together. And he has zero experience as a manager. Why would you want him as your manager? It doesn't make sense.

I agree with this assessment. Fedor...love the guy, but his management was awful. Tito, while entertaining...is not the smartest bulb in the lamp. Cyborg, is in my opinion, the best female fighter in MMA. She blew her chance at big money and a UFC title by signing with Tito, a man DW hates and would never do business with again.

They didn't get Fedor a better deal, they got M1 a better deal.

Both go hand in hand since Fedor valued things over money such as respect, freedom to compete where he wanted and when he wanted, and not having to sell his likeness over to another company. Besides that the UFC didn't have job security and had the right to renegotiate or even terminate the contract following a loss so this wasn't something that was a guaranteed amount like those ludicrous reports of the UFC offering 5$ a fight to Fedor.

When the whole Fedor got cut news came out, Fedor stated that he never had a deal with zuffa, just showtime and his contract with them expired.
Dana said he got cut to make fedor look bad and ufc look good.
Seems a lot like this story as well.

Fedor wasn't cut from anywhere. He never signed a contract with Zuffa or Strikeforce. It was with Showtime, and he was never cut from it.

Except he never fought on any Showtime card, Strikeforce or M-1 on Showtime, after Dana White said he cut Fedor.

Except he never fought on any Showtime card, Strikeforce or M-1 on Showtime, after Dana White said he cut Fedor.

Big difference between being cut and not renewing a contract.

Following his third loss in a row, Emelianenko was reportedly released from Strikeforce. UFC president Dana White stated he was being released, “Yeah, he’s being cut.” However, Emelianenko disputed White's claims, saying, "That's Dana White's style to make comments. I didn't have a contract with Strikeforce. My current contract is with Showtime. So I think people shouldn't pay attention to these "loud" comments." According to M-1 Global Director of Operations Evgeni Kogan, Fedor was only under contract to Showtime and from there he fought under the Strikeforce banner, but was never a direct employee of Zuffa, and therefore was not "cut". "Strikeforce is not the only MMA promotion on Showtime so there are a number of options for Fedor which will be looked at," Kogan told MMA Weekly.

Like the Chieck Kongo situation. He was never cut from the UFC, his contract ran out and he decided to go fight somewhere else. Andrei Arlovski is another example.

"He didn't get cut. It's just that nobody asked him to fight again." :icon_lol:

Look, I'm not disparaging Fedor. He had a great career, and it is disappointing that he never turned the corner to stay relevant in the modern game. But playing semantics is fairly silly. The guy came to Strikeforce, lost three out of four, and his myth was shattered. At that point, he was asking for more money than he presented value to the top tier organizations, so he returned to Russia to knock off hand-picked, non-threatening opponents for cash and prizes. Whether or not he did that is because Zuffa cut him, or because Zuffa declined to pursue renewing his contract, is fairly irrelevant.

"He didn't get cut. It's just that nobody asked him to fight again." :icon_lol:

Look, I'm not disparaging Fedor. He had a great career, and it is disappointing that he never turned the corner to stay relevant in the modern game. But playing semantics is fairly silly. The guy came to Strikeforce, lost three out of four, and his myth was shattered. At that point, he was asking for more money than he presented value to the top tier organizations, so he returned to Russia to knock off hand-picked, non-threatening opponents for cash and prizes. Whether or not he did that is because Zuffa cut him, or because Zuffa declined to pursue renewing his contract, is fairly irrelevant.

It is pretty relevant when you go around saying he was cut from Strikeforce when he never even was under contract with Strikeforce in the first place. Fedor said it himself.

It is pretty easy to disparage Tito as a manager. that is all pretty obvious. throw in the fact that Tito has such a poor relationship with the guy who runs the biggest MMA org in the world, and it is hard to see what Cyborg was thinking.

the only thing that I will say in Tito's defense, is that a lot of people assume that Cyborg can safety make 135. She says she can't. She should know better than the rest of us.

nevertheless, I still can't see the logic in ending the UFC contract like that. Cyborg seemed to have lost options and gained nothing in return

What kind of drugs are you doing? The UFC's offer to Fedor was ludicrously more money than he got from Strikeforce. Strikeforce made M-1 a better deal because they were willing to pretend M-1 was a legitimate player in MMA. The UFC doesn't co-promote and wouldn't offer M-1 a cut of the revenue.

At no point was the deal Fedor ended up with better than what he was offered by the UFC. Instead of finishing the relevant portion of his career getting beaten by the UFC's heavyweights, instead he finished it getting beaten in a second tier organization. True, the guys who retired Fedor were all UFC fighters on the outs (or like Bigfoot, yet to be signed), it's still rather sad that he ended his career looking like he'd been avoiding the best possible fights, and then, sadly enough, getting cut by Zuffa/UFC anyway, lol.

Fedor vs Brock would have been light years ahead of anything he stood to make in Strikeforce.

The yellow part alone shows you how ignorant you are on the subject.
If you'd care to check, M-1 is HUGE in Europe.
And Fedor is part-owner of M-1. Offer a better deal to M-1, you'd be offering a better deal to Fedor. And Money is obviously not what Fedor was after. :redface:

Got a source for that?

Because all those arguing that his contract was with Showtime also say he was still under contract with Showtime when he was "cut"

http://www.mmamania.com/2011/8/4/23...eased-by-strikeforce-but-still-under-contract

Did you read the article you posted?

It even says:
"That's the big news making the rounds after UFC President Dana White dropped the bomb following today's UFC 133 pre-fight press conference.

There's just one problem with that -- Fedor's contract isn't with Strikeforce, it's with Showtime."
Dana is just talking junk, as per usual.

It was a pride thing with him, he always wanted Fedor to see him get smashed because he was so proud of the UFC's talent, getting to buy Strikeforce when Fedor was having fights there and then saying that he "cut" Fedor from an organization Fedor never even inked a contract with is just Dana doing the kind of things he always does.

The yellow part alone shows you how ignorant you are on the subject.
If you'd care to check, M-1 is HUGE in Europe.

They're so huge that they demanded co-promotion if you had Fedor fight in your org.

If they're so huge, they wouldn't have needed it.

That's an interesting imaginary story. I guess Scott Coker was a liar too. Strange that this claim of not being signed by Strikeforce didn't come about until after it was Zuffa that owned Strikeforce.

The reality is probably somewhere in the middle. M-1's ownership are known liars, and I don't doubt that Dana White worded the way he said it to his benefit. The reality is, Showtime doesn't have an MMA organization. So while Fedor's contract might have had terms with CBS, once he was "cut" by Strikeforce, it continued to have events on Showtime, and Fedor never fought again on any CBS network.

Did you read the article you posted?

It even says:
Dana is just talking junk, as per usual.

It was a pride thing with him, he always wanted Fedor to see him get smashed because he was so proud of the UFC's talent, getting to buy Strikeforce when Fedor was having fights there and then saying that he "cut" Fedor from an organization Fedor never even inked a contract with is just Dana doing the kind of things he always does.

Yes, and he never fought on a Showtime card after the cut despite him being still "under contract with Showtime." You might want to ignore that, but it just doesn't pass the smell test to me. If he was still "under contract with Showtime" then why wasn't he on any of the M-1 cards that were on Showtime after that?

If anything it's more like M-1 trying to save face for their prize possession, Fedor.

Yes, and he never fought on a Showtime card after the cut despite him being still "under contract with Showtime." You might want to ignore that, but it just doesn't pass the smell test to me. If he was still "under contract with Showtime" then why wasn't he on any of the M-1 cards that were on Showtime after that?

If anything it's more like M-1 trying to save face for their prize possession, Fedor.

How did he never fight on a Showtime card? Showtime outsourced him to their parent company, CBS for his first fight and his next 2 fights where both broadcast exclusively on Showtime in the USA.

Back