Dana White just openly attacked GSP. Whose side are you on?

I actually agree with Dana. After rumors are running rampant that gsp is retiring and he and his camp vehemently deny all of them, and then pull that stunt on the 20th anniversary card! I would be just as pissed if I was Dana. At least talk to him or give him fair warning before the fight.

I said this in another post its official, Dana is a douche on the level of Don King. Shits on GSP after all the years and effort he's given to the company. If GSP wants to walk away so be it, Dana has never made the kind of commitment GSP has in his entire life. Nobody knows the toll all these years may have taken on GSP and by the way he just had his skull hammered for 5 rounds. GSP should give up the belt, I agree, but for Dana to jump GSP like that just proves once again what a douche Dana really is. Doesn't care about the fighters just about sounding like only HE knows what's right. F'n pig.

I thought that was hilarious. He just gave an interview that said "GSP, is the best guy to work with. Constant professional, does what he needs to do." Now GSP is having personal issues and Dana attacks him LOL

It's not about all of the effort and commitment gsp has shown zuffa over his incredible career. As much as some of you want it to be that way. It's about georges pulling this ridiculous stunt on a huge card with absolutely no warning. Bottom line, it's very unprofessional and out of character for gsp. That's why Dana was pissed.

Can't really disagree with Dana here. You either vacate the belt and leave or retire. There's no taking long breaks WHILE being a champion. That's puts the entire division into a stalemate that we've seen many times before.

Dana is such a hothead. Fucking annoys me the dude had never fought an MMA fight in his life he can't talk shit towards his biggest cash cow. I respect Dana but dear lord he acts like everything he says is gospel

It's clear most of the people on this board have never sustained a maximum effort in ANY endeavor. If they did, they might understand the mental fatigue that comes with having to psychologically and physically build themselves up repeatedly, as GSP has done about twice a year for about a decade. We are talking about big fight after big fight, a tougher road than A. Silva, who is clearly also worn out, as had to take.

Dana is obviously talking like the ass that he is about this matter because he does not even live in the same WORLD as these fighters, and his comments and attitude tonight are all but proof of that. He might say that GSP has made a lot of money from the UFC, but really how much money has GSP made for Dana? The guy is a joke and I think it is transparent enough to where most fans know this by now. GSP is mentally shot and this has been the case for a while now (at least 3 years). The good news for him is that the outcome tonight will probably make him a very large payday down the line, probably after a year or more off, after relinquishing his belt.

Guy just toke a beating and says he lost some of his memories and Dana go thrash talk agaisnt him after all hes done for him ? Holy shit what a moron how about you talk to GSP first? Cant believe Dana calls himself a buisness guy, he bites on everything he see w/o even thinking

lack of respect,,,similiar thing happened when benson henderson lost his title...he was pretty much : idc about benson im all in on pettis now ok thanks

Dana was being an A-Hole and quite frankly he's been an A-Hole GSP's whole career.

At the prefight presser when asked what Dana's first memory of George was in the UFC and he couldn't even think of one . . . And yet he could probably tell you what size of underwear Matt Hughes wears. Dana is just a fan of violence and making fighters punch-drunk. For some reason he despises George.

Think about all the false accusations of rounding George has received from a lineup of accusers yet he's valiantly gone through every demand asked of him - including WADA/VADA (whatever the hell) . . . And still no one starting at the top defends this guy.

The biggest challenge George faces is working for a bunch of thugs.

This works out great. A 8 man pyramid tourney over 3 events for the belt!

Reading through this thread, lots of people clearly didn't watch the PF conference. Dana made it clear that he had NO issue with GSP retiring. He said his issue was with GSP taking a few years off when he has an obligation as champ. I can't believe I'm sticking up for Dana here, but he's getting WAY too much flack for this.

Dana doesn't want one of his most stack divisions to be tied up. He has no problem with GSP making a personal decision about his life, but he does have a problem with his champ taking time off. I was under the impression that he wanted GSP to vacate the belt if he was going to take a few years off.

Reading through this thread, lots of people clearly didn't watch the PF conference. Dana made it clear that he had NO issue with GSP retiring. He said his issue was with GSP taking a few years off when he has an obligation as champ. I can't believe I'm sticking up for Dana here, but he's getting WAY too much flack for this.

Dana doesn't want one of his most stack divisions to be tied up. He has no problem with GSP making a personal decision about his life, but he does have a problem with his champ taking time off. I was under the impression that he wanted GSP to vacate the belt if he was going to take a few years off.

Dana was out of line. GSP saying he needs a break after busting his ass in hellish fight and after several months of hellish training isn't the worst thing in the world by any means. George probably needs a rest from even thinking about defending his belt. The guy has had the last 10 years erased from his life due to fighting only and I'm sure it leaves a deficit. George didn't even give a timeframe. He just said he needs a break. Is that too much to ask? No!

Dana has a problem dealing with things when he is not in a position of control.

With the exception of the "top 10" fighters in the sport, most of these guys need the UFC more than the other way around. The monopoly the UFC has over MMA means the only 6 figure paychecks are going to go through them.

For those who worked hard and rose up to become the elite of the elite, after a few 7 figure paychecks and big money endorsement deals Dana no longer has the power over them that he used to have when they were up and comers.

If you had an 8 figure net worth, would you take the risks these guys take after 10|+ years in the sport? With a wife and young kids at home?

How do you tell your mother than you're going to go get kicked and punched in the head for 25 minutes because you need a 4th Lamborghini? Just to "defend" a leather belt for the 8th time? There will ALWAYS be another challenger, no matter how many times you win. Eventually, somebody will turn your lights out. Just ask Silva.

I mean it's a big leather belt with a shiny gold buckle. Dana acts like GSP wants to keep the belt and retire, when I bet he really would have been perfectly happy just leaving it in the ring.

He's the greatest WW of all time. This isn't baseball where you can glide a few years past your prime by slipping into a DH role. If he's not 100% mentally and physically, he's at serious risk of becoming another Liddell.

Personally, I hope GSP walks away. It sounds like he has some serious health issues, both physically and mentally. If he wants to come back in a year or two, he'll still be under 35 and able to compete if he chooses.

Here's your belt, I'm taking some time off. I'll call you, maybe, but don't wait by the phone.

I can see why Dana would not be happy with GSP taking a 6-8 month break. GSP hadn't fought since March. That is a long stretch. Another 8-10 month break from fighting with a division with several fresh challengers and a rematch to fight? Not too good for the division. Dana wants the champs to fight at least 2 times a year. It is bad enough he has to deal with the situation at LW, but to add to it the situation at WW as well? It would hurt a few ppvs if they don't have enough title fights to fill them, and most people don't want to pay for one without one.

Dana has a problem dealing with things when he is not in a position of control.

With the exception of the "top 10" fighters in the sport, most of these guys need the UFC more than the other way around. The monopoly the UFC has over MMA means the only 6 figure paychecks are going to go through them.

For those who worked hard and rose up to become the elite of the elite, after a few 7 figure paychecks and big money endorsement deals Dana no longer has the power over them that he used to have when they were up and comers.

If you had an 8 figure net worth, would you take the risks these guys take after 10|+ years in the sport? With a wife and young kids at home?

How do you tell your mother than you're going to go get kicked and punched in the head for 25 minutes because you need a 4th Lamborghini? Just to "defend" a leather belt for the 8th time? There will ALWAYS be another challenger, no matter how many times you win. Eventually, somebody will turn your lights out. Just ask Silva.

I mean it's a big leather belt with a shiny gold buckle. Dana acts like GSP wants to keep the belt and retire, when I bet he really would have been perfectly happy just leaving it in the ring.

He's the greatest WW of all time. This isn't baseball where you can glide a few years past your prime by slipping into a DH role. If he's not 100% mentally and physically, he's at serious risk of becoming another Liddell.

Personally, I hope GSP walks away. It sounds like he has some serious health issues, both physically and mentally. If he wants to come back in a year or two, he'll still be under 35 and able to compete if he chooses.

Here's your belt, I'm taking some time off. I'll call you, maybe, but don't wait by the phone.

The problem with what your saying is that GSP didn't say he was vacating his title, and he is still under contract. The UFC is supposed to give them a certain amount of fights per year, and as long as you aren't injured, you are responsible for that. He said he wants to take some time off for personal reasons. That isn't acceptable as long as he is keeping that belt. It was understandable for Anderson because there wasn't a clear cut contender before Weidman (who then was injured and needed some time) and so the UFC could wait before giving him a fight (plus they were giving him a new contract anyway).

Well i do not blame GSP for this decision at all. He has no choice in the matter and has always fought amazingly well in the ring and is a warrior. GSP does have the right to retire especially if his mind and body are not in the fight anymore, he has easily earned that right. I just think it would be extremely bad time for him to do so as i think a fair amount of people think he lost that fight including myself and for his legacy he should try and get that fire back to come back and fight Johnny sooner rather than too far later. At least this is what i would hope, but then again i do want to see GSP at his best.

Back