Dana: Max Holloway 'too big' to keep fighting at featherweight

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by OzoneX, Dec 7, 2018 at 2:51 AM.

1. OzoneX

OzoneX Blue Belt

“It’s weird; I’m not nervous, but I should be,” White told MMAjunkie. “You know, I didn’t want him to fight again at ’45. He wanted this fight so bad. He got cleared by every test and doctor and everything we’ve done. Came in light this week, so we’ll see what happens. Yeah, it would be really bad if he didn’t make weight.”

Just because White gave Holloway his wish with the Ortega fight, it doesn’t mean he’ll allow the Hawaiian to fight at featherweight forever. There’s a level of discomfort about Holloway’s size and weight cut, and White’s not keen to see that continue.

“I think he needs to go to ’55,” White said. “He’s too big for this weight. You can’t keep doing this to yourself and cutting to ’45. But you know what he wanted? He wants this Ortega fight. He wants to fight Ortega so bad. This is the fight he wanted. He got it. He medically got cleared, and he got what he wanted.”

https://mmajunkie.com/2018/12/ufc-231-dana-white-max-holloway-too-big-for-featherweight

Chok Sok Te and Kwic like this.
  2. MMAViewer

MMAViewer Black Belt

Dana knows he will sell more fights at 155 he doesn't give a fuck about max or his health. He only cares about selling fights.

3. Oachkazl

Oachkazl Orange Belt

I don't think so, a dominant champ at flyweight would be more useful at the moment then another contender in the already stacked 155 pound division.

El Fernas, Kudo and Sole like this.
  4. D4C

D4C Blue Belt

It would be extremely bad press for UFC, if Max got any permanent damage from excessive weightcutting. Not worth the risk at all, so Dana wants him to move up a weight class as soon as possible.

Kudo, Moonwalker95 and Chok Sok Te like this.
  5. Isthat-yo bop

Isthat-yo bop Blue Belt

He needed to move up after second Aldo fight. The shit is affecting his brain . In a normal interview he seems cool, but fight week man he sounds so punch drunk and loopy . I don’t even like seeing that shit . And he’s legit 5 foot 10 he shouldn’t be at 145 . He relies on his chin too, I don’t want him having sideffects from water brain . Like depression and lose of technique. No grown ass man should be 145 at 5 foot 10 .

6. Kal-El

Kal-El Yellow Belt

Aldo's two losses both from ppl who belong at LW. FW GOAT.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018 at 5:39 AM
  7. KeiranMc

KeiranMc Brown Belt

He likes teh cupcakes.

It is what it is.

8. Dilan Cummingsworth

Dilan Cummingsworth Orange Belt

Blessed express might be making a stop at 155 soon. Max said at the press conference that theoretically he would be willing to defend at fw another 10 times because his goal is to become the best p4p and if that's what it takes he will do it. I doubt he actually does that but I think if he wants to get closer to that goal then maybe if he moves up to 155 and became a dominant champion with multiple title defenses there then it would be highly possible

9. Mahkor

Mahkor Drunkmaster Flex

They may as well give the belt back to Aldo once Max moves up, no one else is beating him at 145 imo.

Chok Sok Te and Teddy Brukshot like this.
  10. dawzz

dawzz Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

inb4 russian fanboys say zabit lol
    Aldo > any featherweight named Max Holloway

Chok Sok Te and Mahkor like this.
  11. Lift2live

Lift2live White Belt

Zabit is not Russian but Dagestani. Most Russians dont like religious Muslims. They like vodka, girls, crime, violence, mafia and extortion.

12. JM Barrie

JM Barrie Orange Belt

I've said before he should go up to 170 lbs.
    Screw 155lb. He bigger than most of them now anyways.

MMA MASTER likes this.
  13. dawzz

dawzz Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Still . Who ever has a russian flag on him these nuthuggers will come and say that he is the #1 in his division.
    Also Zabit is chechen.

14. Human Bass

Human Bass Black Belt

And tell me, do dagestani guys know any productive work besides fighting? At least the "russians" seem to know how to do business, computer coding, manufactiring.

15. Lift2live

Lift2live White Belt

There are millions of Dagestanis, Chechens and other nationalities in Russia. Wow. Am I talking to Trump supporters or something? One of the biggest Universities in Russia has a Dagestani professor...argghh why even bother?

Kirin likes this.
  16. Human Bass

Human Bass Black Belt

Dude, you just painted the average russian as a drunk sexual addict mafioso. So I gave you a counter example on how mean and lame is to do that.

17. Medulla Omoplata

Medulla Omoplata Mayberry Comptroller

I agree with Dana, the difference is he actually has the ability to do something about it. So either implement some weight cutting control measures or let the fighters fight where they can. Obviously if Max misses again then he's gotta go to 155, but if he makes the weight then so be it.

Doughie99 likes this.
  18. FlyingDeathKick

FlyingDeathKick Brown Belt

Yet he lets Khabib fight at 155 lol, He also let's Till fight at 170. Holloway hasn't even missed weight before but these dudes have and nearly killed themselves as well.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018 at 6:19 AM
  19. FlyingDeathKick

FlyingDeathKick Brown Belt

I wish everybody was forced to fight in their actual weight classes, they need to add more weight classes first though.

Medulla Omoplata likes this.
  20. RayA

RayA Brown Belt

BW and FW have the biggest disparity in size and weight cutting imo. We have Holloway at FW, dying to get there, and TJ at BW who can supposedly make FLW.