Dan Severn's MMA Debut, UFC 4

Respect to Mad Dog for taking on someone like Dan. He even worked some decent elbows for this era.

He brought me into MMA

Think it´s the only time that I truly feared about a fighter´s health... Might have been the 1st death... and who knows about the future of the sport [in the US, naturally]...

Think it´s the only time that I truly feared about a fighter´s health... Might have been the 1st death... and who knows about the future of the sport [in the US, naturally]...
Also a little bit of an Easter egg; did you notice Al Snow??
alsnow1-2_display_image.jpg

I'm dating myself by saying I watched that PPV live...........

That is why there are weight classes. Poor guy was giving up 70 pounds to a better wrestler. Dan beat up a lot of little guys, including a big little man Forrest.

Dan clearly wasn't comfortable throwing punches or doing GnP in his first event. He later said that, and most likely would've beaten Royce if he'd used a Colemanesque approach (GnP, headbutts, etc.)

Props to Macias for taking on a guy 70 pounds heavier...and Macias was a legit 190...not like a guy now who'd cut to 190 and walk in at 220 or something.

Dan clearly wasn't comfortable throwing punches or doing GnP in his first event. He later said that, and most likely would've beaten Royce if he'd used a Colemanesque approach (GnP, headbutts, etc.)

Props to Macias for taking on a guy 70 pounds heavier...and Macias was a legit 190...not like a guy now who'd cut to 190 and walk in at 220 or something.

IIRC, I always saw Macias as a natural WW...

More GNP, more openings for Hoyce...

usehead 2.gif

Back