Dan Rafael: rumor Canelo/Chavez Jr does atleast 1 million buys

CAnelo should be ashamed for playing it Floyd safe and not going for the KO. You get paid millions to entertain - try to take him out.

I really don't get Canelo's popularity. He fights cautiously, hasn't been in any great exciting fights.

Well actually I do get it. He's Mexican and looks white, so he pulls in two huge markets. Plus he's got Floyd's blessing and could be one of Floyd's biggest wins, so Floyd's fans have switched to Canelo fans.

But based on the entertaintment value of his fights, he's pretty meh.
You are entitled to your opinion ( obviously) . Do you feel that when one guy turtles up to not get koed and known for a sturdy chin , is Canelo's fault for not being able to ko him ?

That was embarrassing for Chavez jr , even his dad put him under the bus , saying he tried to instill the warrior spirit in his son but his son never listened and he is heartbroken ...

even his dad put him under the bus , saying he tried to instill the warrior spirit in his son but his son never listened and he is heartbroken ...
is it just me or is senior a bit of an asshole when it comes to that?

he was saying before the fight that it's unfair to junior because everyone wants him to be like his father, and no one can be like him. now he's shitting on him like this?

come on, man. that's your son.

there was a grand total of 300k bet on the fight with betfair whereas joshua/klit had over 4mm bet and 1.5mm ppv buys

in mexico, the fight was free.

no, the fight did not do 1mm ppv.

I'm a little skeptical that this fight did that many buys, but those are not good comparisons. Betfair is a British compan that has only recently been introduced in the US (on a limited scale from what I understand) and is not legal in Mexico (and Canada, which pisses me off). I'm fairly certain the majority of the traffic for that website comes the UK and Continental Europe, and that can go a long way to explain the discrepancy in money bet on the two fights considering Joshua/Klit was a much bigger fight in those areas than Canelo/Jr. (by the same token, Canelo/Jr. was clearly a bigger fight in North America than Joshua/Klitschko and Betfair is either banned or limited in its exposure in North America).

Joshua/Klitschko did 1.5 million buys out of a population of 65 million, whereas the claims are that Canelo/Chavez Jr. did around 1 million out of a population of 320 million. Joshua/Klitschko was a bigger event on a worldwide scale, but comparing the British PPV numbers of Joshua/Klit and the Betfair betting markets of Joshua/Klit and Canelo/Jr. doesn't really tell us anything about how many PPV buys the fight did in the US.

Last edited:

he was saying before the fight that it's unfair to junior because everyone wants him to be like his father, and no one can be like him. now he's shitting on him like this?

From what I understand, Sr. has always been an asshole, period.

CAnelo should be ashamed for playing it Floyd safe and not going for the KO. You get paid millions to entertain - try to take him out.

I really don't get Canelo's popularity. He fights cautiously, hasn't been in any great exciting fights.

Well actually I do get it. He's Mexican and looks white, so he pulls in two huge markets. Plus he's got Floyd's blessing and could be one of Floyd's biggest wins, so Floyd's fans have switched to Canelo fans.

But based on the entertaintment value of his fights, he's pretty meh.
festus.jpg

So do you have GGG wrecking Canelo? What are your thoughts there? I apologize if you already discussed in another thread, but I was just curious.

And 1M+ at $70 is pretty impressive, actually.

He is very arrogant but he is also humble at times ... lol not sure if it makes sense

Good for them if they sold that bullshit fight that well. I wish fans bought the REAL fights, like GGG/Jacobs.

People dont realize how big of a draw Chavez Jr is.

On Dec 10, when Showtime had the Mares and Charlo card, and HBO had Terence Crawford/Molina card, Chavez Jr fought at some unknown random Spanish channel and drew almost 300k viewers.

People don't realize because the demographic who Chavez Jr draws highly concentrated in certain areas. Chavez Jr isn't big among asian, black or whites..etc but he's especially big among Mexicans/Mexican Americans. Most Mexicans/Mexican Americans are highly concentrated in bordering Southwest US states so the average person living in Washington state or say Virginia has no clue about the interest in Texas or California. There's a reason why they historically book fights in places like El Paso. Canelo is a much bigger name across the U.S. but his star power is similar in that he's huge mostly in the Southwest U.S. Canelo could do 50k at Cowboys stadium in Texas but would do poorly in comparison trying to fill Patriots stadium in Mass.

Back