Dan Henderson was the best Pride fighter ever

He brutally defeated four Pride legends: Fedor, Shogun, Nog and Wanderlei. He was very limited skill wise, compared to the others, and beat all of them, only because he had so much power in his right hand. He finished Fedor and Shogun, when they were still young in their early 30, so out of prime card doesn't count. You can see how good Fedor is even now, but in 2011 he was way faster with better gas tank as well. Shogun was still a top contender in lhw division and gave young Gustafsson his toughest fight

Amazing to see so many mistakes/misconceptions concentrated in 5 lines...

Yeah, and was incredibly mediocre and was gifted a ton of bullshit split decisions.
so you agree with the fact that he was facing top opposition, but having close fights with top opposition means you're mediocre? how does that work? i think you might need to look up the definition of mediocre.

he took the 183lbs and 205lbs belts in PRIDE, then came over to the UFC and lost the unification fight with rampage by a cunt's hair. those three fights alone were enough to make him anything but mediocre. dude has been consistently ranked in the top 10 for almost 2 decades, held belts in every major organisation he ever fought for, and has the most stacked record of any fighter in the history of the sport.

but sure, getting 5 decisions you disagree with means he was never any good.

York Romero brutally defeated Luke Rockhold. Does that mean he's one of the best Strikeforce fighters ever?

Also, you're giving credit to Dan beating Big Nog as being a notable achievement, as Big Nog is clearly one of the best Pride fighters there was. Does that mean that Big Nog's win over Dan is a notable achievement, because in doing so he beat someone who beat one of the best Pride fighters?

He has the best resume out of any fighter to ever compete, anywhere

PRIDE, STRIKEFORCE, UFC CHAMP, Clened out top fighters from WW to HW while being a LHW-MW for most of his career

No matter the rule set, the fighting arena or the country, he was a top fighter

but Fedor being a fat LHW not losing a round in a decade at heavyweight and and being more enteratining while at it cannot be topped IMO
good post

I mean, Fedor is 38-5 and was the #1 HW for 7 years straight while Dan is 32-12 and was the #1 MW for maybe 6 months.
It's a pretty hard case to make.

Hendo has one of the toughest schedules in all of MMA. That's where his resume shines. But having a difficult schedule doesn't make you an auto ATG. Randleman has a ridiculously difficult strength of schedule too.

Once Hendo left RINGs he has literally never been able to string more than 4 wins together. PRIDE, UFC or Strikeforce.
At Hendo's absolute peak his record was 29-8.

I mean in comparison even Nogueira's record was 31-4-1(1) at his absolute peak. And Nog's schedule is just as difficult as Dan's is.

... How is this even a conversation?

Taric bringing logic and facts as usual.

This is like crowning Chael the best Bellator MW ever because he's lost to all the GOAT candidates he can possibly fight.

Henderson was a legit beats. Enjoyed watching this man fight well into his 40's.

so you agree with the fact that he was facing top opposition, but having close fights with top opposition means you're mediocre? how does that work? i think you might need to look up the definition of mediocre.

he took the 183lbs and 205lbs belts in PRIDE, then came over to the UFC and lost the unification fight with rampage by a cunt's hair. those three fights alone were enough to make him anything but mediocre. dude has been consistently ranked in the top 10 for almost 2 decades, held belts in every major organisation he ever fought for, and has the most stacked record of any fighter in the history of the sport.

but sure, getting 5 decisions you disagree with means he was never any good.
I mean you can call it 'top competition' because early UFC, Rings, and Pride were all 'premier' orgs at the time ... but winning bullshit decisions against guys who nobody other than old idiots like me even remember (who weren't very good by any stretch) doesn't really make a great fighter. He has longevity going for him, which speaks more more to TRT than anything else, and that's about it. Slow dude, big right hand ... lots of wins on his record against guys who are barely a footnote in MMA history that he didn't deserve.

I mean you can call it 'top competition' because early UFC, Rings, and Pride were all 'premier' orgs at the time ... but winning bullshit decisions against guys who nobody other than old idiots like me even remember (who weren't very good by any stretch) doesn't really make a great fighter. He has longevity going for him, which speaks more more to TRT than anything else, and that's about it. Slow dude, big right hand ... lots of wins on his record against guys who are barely a footnote in MMA history that he didn't deserve.
no, i'm calling it top competition because the guys he was facing were the best in the world. it doesn't matter if they aren't the best in the world now, they definitely were at the top when he faced them. he didn't beat them all, but there's really nobody he didn't fight who was at the top in or around his weight class - which is fucking insane.

newton, big nog, babalu, wanderlei, ninja, arona, diet nog, bustamante, kondo, chonan, gono, misaki, belfort, rampage, anderson, palhares, franklin, bisping, shields, fedor, shogun... jesus christ i can't even finish this list. these guys are barely a footnote in mma history, and weren't very good by any stretch? come on.

describing him as a "slow dude with a big right hand" is being unfair. if you tell me who you think isn't mediocre, i'm sure i can degrade them with an equally unfair assessment. he's an olympic wrestler who over the years became quite proficient with his jiu jitsu, had ridiculous KO power, a granite chin, and a really aggressive approach to fighting. he lost a bunch of fights he should've won, but he's still the original champ champ, holding two major belts simultaneously. and he still faced fucking everyone and came out on top more often than not.

Technically, even though it was a controversial decision, you should have been somehow impressed by his perfornance against a very prime [grappling-wise] Big Nog in Rings, who realistically only lost one legit round (vs Kopylov) during his [brilliant] Rings run...
Hendo was a LHW in this fight [198 lbs], while Nog was a HW [230 lbs].

As always, tough Hendo fight to score...
At the end of the regular time [2nd Rd], the judges had it a Draw [x3].
Hendo was declared winner at the end of the 3rd Rd, but one could say that Nog was arguably winning by
the end of the 2nd Rd...

He's a legend but let me know when he or anyone else goes 27-0 at HW. Hendo cant hold Fedors jock strap despite lucky scramble shot.
Hendo accomplished as much as Fedor or even more. I change my mind if Fedor wins Bellator GP

dan_henderson_2_400.jpeg

PRIDE, STRIKEFORCE, UFC CHAMP,

he never was ufc champ. he came into the ufc holding the pride middleweight (ufc's light heavyweight equivalent) and welterweight (ufc's middleweight equivalent) belts, but lost both unification bouts to rampage and then anderson silva.

Big Nog fucking schooled him.

I have no doubt TS didn't actually watch PRIDE when it existed and just took a glimpse at Hendo's record and came to this stupid conclusion.

He brutally defeated four Pride legends: Fedor, Shogun, Nog and Wanderlei. He was very limited skill wise, compared to the others, and beat all of them, only because he had so much power in his right hand. He finished Fedor and Shogun, when they were still young in their early 30, so out of prime card doesn't count. You can see how good Fedor is even now, but in 2011 he was way faster with better gas tank as well. Shogun was still a top contender in lhw division and gave young Gustafsson his toughest fight
Fedor was not nearly as good in 2011 as he was in his prime years in RPIDE.

upload_2018-10-24_7-11-11.jpeg

Hendo's been Decision Dan everywhere.

Here's a list of all the questionable decisions Dan has received in his favor:
  • Carlos Newton
  • Big Nog
  • Ninja Rua
  • Murilo Bustamante
  • Rich Franklin
That's a lot of fights. Hendo could be 27-20 if judges saw things a different way.

People in this thread have already cited the Franklin win as an accomplishment but I feel Franklin was the better fighter that night. Do not get me wrong Henderson had the more legendary career yet IMO Franklin defeated him. As the ref Miragliotta straight-up botched the fight to boot.

arona dominated him, that was not really a split decision.. fedor nog and cro cop are better fighters

Back