Damo Marino's spindly apendages

Day 89 did nada
Today is day 90, the end of the three month period I was using to measure certain goals:

Goals: Strong legs=better kicks and balance, strong pull=better clinch, learn lifts, gain.
How:Bike round trip each day 12kms, 2 lifting sessions per week of dead,squat,ohp, 2 Muay Thai sessions per week, 2 or more bodyweight sessions per week. This log focuses on lifting and bodyweight sessions.
Stats: 190cm, 78kg. 37yo.

Goals, what happened?

I left the gym I was at and joined an MMA club that has jits.
I dont want to compete in Muay Thai, I dont really want to spar anymore either, head injuries do not make a good daddy. Still do bag work to keep some skill.
I'd also like to teach my son jits when he's old enough, everything I read points to jits as the best first sport for a child.

Strong legs: one of my knees has turned to custard, haven't been to the doc yet but I've got an ongoing ligament issue, I'm still walking and teeping so hopefully it'll heal itself over time.
Strong pull: my pull has improved, I can dead 150kg for 3 with double over grips, I can also do truck load of chins, my white-belt rolling partners mention my strength when I use it which is rare.
I've rarely dead-lifted or squatted and only do kettle-bell OHP since I've joined the new gym.

Instead of two MT sessions per week I now do at least three jits sessions per week as well as at least one bag session. I also try and do some body weight exercise on every other day, use grippers and do jits solo drills.

I've biked every work day since the start of this log, some weekends as well.
I've measured my round trip on a work day as 16km, so thats around 80km a week.
I measure my weight twice a day, once in the morning and once after training.

At one point in the three Months I was 80 kg, the heaviest I've ever weighed, I'm now sitting on 76.5 after workout, I also turned 38 in Jan.

So at it stands:
In terms of martial arts I train more (twice as much maybe), I can lift far more than I used to be able to and I cycle further.

Time for some new goals and a new plan.

Last edited:
New goals:

Transform into a spider monkey - I really admire the skills of higher belts I've had the opportunity to role with - I want to improve basics as much as poss. how? drill, drill, drill. record types of drills and measure success and improvement in movement.

Not sure about gaining weight - I could do an easy cut to 70 over several days so might try and stay where I am, when I'm prepared to compete in Gi I'll weigh in with Gi on. how? monitor diet and eat cleaner, also monitor and record hydration and whether/when I have feelings of lethargy.

Monitor and improve posture, reduce chances of injury.
Arthritic issues translating through joints, may regularly invest in condroitin and green lipped mussel extract. Need to monitor inflammation and make comparisons to days of intensive training.
Revisit stretching regimen and record results.

New Plan:
Same bike route, push harder and reduce travel time
M 6.30-7.15 solo drills - 7.15-7.45 strength------------------Evening: Stretch/Animal flow
T 6.30-7.15 conditioning - 7.15-8 No Gi -bounce-----------Evening: Body weight strength
W 6.30-7 strength - 7-7.45 solo drills and stretch----------Evening: Stretch/Animal flow
T 6.30-7.15 Conditioning 7.15-8 No Gi -bounce------------Evening: Body weight strength

Rolling goals:
There are three rounds per no go session, I will look to roll with 1)someone better, 2)someone at my level and 3)someone with less experience (tricky)
1) Look to defend and keep position or re guard
2) Look to improve position and attack using tech learned in class
3) Look to secure submission and then release back to roll

Feels:
  • Did I make the right decision at each critical moment?
  • What could I have done differently?
  • Where could I have used a technique but didn’t try?
  • When did things go wrong?
  • Why did it go wrong?
  • How could I have avoided that?

Last edited:
I'll do another 90 days
Just took a week off, only did two jits classes and some random bag work
Think it's going to take a while to build up to my plan, some of it will change

Day 1
M:
Leave home at 6.15 get to gym in 25min, changed by 6.50.

Solo drills: Did snake movement up mat, arm bar positioning on bag, pelvis down sprawl, alternate hip down sprawl, switching knee on belly, triangle from mount positioning and mountain climbers.

Focused on drive through pelvis.

Also did a few zercher squats with bag.
Stopped at 7.20, had a couple of small rests. ie 2min.
Did some inversion and a few chins.

No strength or evening work

Need:
Weight of bag, timed 5 min rounds, 1 min rest, sort 2 to 3 exercises per round, drills for different positions, finish with squat, press, chin

Last edited:
Day 2
T:
Leave home at 6.45, get to gym at 7.05, ride took 20min, really pushed but got caught at lights-bike needs service
No Conditioning
Jits class:
Did back take from side control using hooks then did four short rolls starting from side control.
Person 1(smaller, weaker, good tech) needed to be faster in moving from position to position, should have tried for key lock right away, needed to stack heavier in smash pass, I need to be more responsive to changes in position and not just sit, I waited too long when they moved.
Person 2(younger, more athletic, aggressive) tried to scorpion but couldn't get my arms around my own legs, things went wrong when I used my strength, although it was good for breaking his posture I don't have the fitness to keep it up, I also made him post his hands several times in my guard, I chose to try and sweep instead of isolating the elbow or shoulder, they suggested that I should hold my subs harder to be successful and not release.
Person 3(smaller, weaker, way better tech) needed to have moved more and not wait for them, I could have used two arm bar escapes that I know however I waited until it was past the point of no return.
Person 4(significantly older, maybe better tech) they had me in side control for the majority of the roll, should have looked to shrimp prior to their control, they also double arm barred me, need to keep elbows in.

Need drilling partners

Stephan Kesting on when to move 'There is an interval - usually 1 to 5 seconds - between your opponent passing your guard and settling into a nice pin.THIS is the time to dig deep, pull out all stops and use every trick in your book. Use technique AND your physical attributes to block the guard pass, and either replace the guard, reverse the position or get back to your feet.'

Last edited:
Day 3
W:
Ride took at least 25 this morning, felt like I really pushed, I think 25 is as good as it gets until after my bike's serviced. Front sprocket high gears are worn. avg speed is 19.2 kph.
Drills: Did snake movement, arm bar positioning on bag, open guard play against wall, robot plank, crunches.
Did 3 good rounds of 5 min at high intensity with 2 min break.
Other: Did a few minutes of escape drill on med ball, did a few triangle drills.
Notes: Need to pick two drills that marry into one another for every round ie an escape and then a pass, a pass and then a sub.
At gym for 45 min w poss 30 min work. Maybe reduce round time and break to increase efficacy/intensity.

Last edited:
Day 4
T:
Ride as above
Arrived at Jits class just on time
Did Kimura from side control switching base past head to other side of opponent ending up in pinning side control
Rolled:
Started from side control.
Partner 1(same level, heavier, passive) improved position using kimura sweep to mount from guard, partner posted hands often while in my guard, escaped from side control and got to guard often, no subs.
Partner 2(at least 20kg smaller, better tech, faster) got subbed off the bat lolol, dude was fast, I hesitated less in this roll and had a brief chat, tried to defend ankle lock for first time, was difficult but fun. Had trouble getting hooks in when he turtled, as knee is tender will need to start working off left side. Or break turtle down to side control.
Partner 3(maybe higher level, aggressive) got subbed with guillotine a couple of times, needed to use strength to fight arms, was able to defend often, this individual is not used to leg entanglement, might be good partner to attempt some kind of spider or de la riva.

I also have a habit of looking for straight armbar from guard, partners usually turn so I'm not threatening the elbow however I may be able to go for some kind of omoplata, need to figure out hooks and grips.

Improvements:My guard was passed less frequently, I swept partners a couple of times, I was less hesitant.
What to work on: anaerobic conditioning, switching base on top.
• straight armbar
• Kimura armlock
• guillotine choke
• triangle choke
• omo plata armlock
All above from the left

Last edited:
Spider guard. Hell yeah. There was this reversal that I liked to use from that position where I underhook one of the legs and turn my opponent over. That was my bread and butter.

So one foot on the bicep, other on the hip, and and underhook. Yep, that's how I remember it.

Note to self, shrimping and open guard drills have been your best friend thus far
Drill: break turtle down to side control?, burpees for anaerobic condit, switching base

Need a few more

Day 5
F: Turned off my alarm

Last edited:
Day 6
M:
Turned off my alarm....again....my dude has been crook so no sleep for anyone :( did a few pressups and overhead presses with the KB's

Last edited:
Day 7
T:
Biked in early, cardio felt mud, breathing was really heavy, got to gym in a little over a half hour in the rain, arrived at 6.40am
Did some easy drills, egg beater, hip escape, triangle hip up, open guard play, mats were busy with condit class etc
No Gi at 7.15
Glad I got warm as I was able to maneuver easily through the position we learned.
Tech: Regular side control , far arm shoulder push far arm elbow up, switch base kicking right leg under closer shoulder, control closer arm at tricep, left shoulder under closer shoulder and simultaneously switch base again, right leg over for mount, knee on belly to goofy side, repeat from goofy side.
Rolled:
Partner 1 (better across the board, took it way easy) I tensed up ready to get my ass kicked, Kiwi mellow yellow dude rolled easy with me, only took a few seconds to adjust and calm my raho.
Partner 2 (blue?) Used butterfly to control me, seemed really chilled just waiting but then timed all explosive technique, was quite cool to be on the end of, managed to fight a couple of chokes, also tried a leg entanglement, partner recognized it and collapsed legs in, he also bated me with his arms which he used to smash pass.
Partner 3 (def blue) Strong strong strong, felt heavy and strong from guard, subbed me less than 2 but I couldn't make any kind of leeway on them, they also used some smaller movements which nullified attack and pulled me into half guard, they explosively spun my open guard to pass, he leg entangled me and I used my previous partners movement to push his entanglement inward.

Feels:
Toward the end of partner three I managed to just sit and not get subbed, toward the end of the round I found myself looking for the clock.
Some partners seem to chill until the right moment and then BANG! they move fast, some constantly move.
I think I need to be the former, things went wrong when I moved re-actively, I feel like I need to get in a really good spot and sit tight if I'm tired.
Bit achy now wish I had time to warm down or roll more at the end of class.
Also caught my last partner around the neck as they moved to try get on top, I was in his half and had a arm and the head, methinks if I'd secured the neck with my left hand or gotten my trapped leg out I might have got something.....next roll maybe.....or next next roll

Last edited:
Day 8

Bike half hour.
It looks like the plan has changed, ambition not on par with ability, I now do DAY1: conditioning or drills 2: jits 3: conditioning or drills 4: jits.
Hopefully I can pick things up in the next couple of Months, I really have some gaps in my conditioning.
I might take the 'thousand cuts' approach at home.
Space on the mat is at a premium as its used by instructors for their privates, they mostly cool though.
Will move to warm-up area in gym when it's busy.

Weighed mma bag: 20kg, might be good to throw like a med ball.
I did 2*5 min warm-up with 1 min rest then 5*3 min rounds of work with 1 min rest.
Hip escapes, sprawls, switch base.

One instructor gave me some pointers for inversion which I'll be able to practice GC
Keep feet as low as poss when doing solo, when I'm being passed from half (regular) to my left invert onto left shoulder and turn to re-guard, keep looking at opponent, will need to drill this with partner.
Skip to 2.31

Last edited:
Day 9
Slow bike, crank is clicking hard, kinda pissed because it's always had issues
Jits class tech
You have opponent in side control, opponent reaches for under-hook to try and stand, you whizzer the arm and head (neck) to pressure them back to the floor, your elbow on their chest, eventually you can move to the d'arce, walk to their head to control and back to their legs to choke.
Partner explained tech to me a few times, I had it off the bat, tried to tell them but they didn't listen so I zoned out, main man gave a small detail: you can control with chest but he wanted us to control the head and arm, when I had it sussed it felt really good.

Roll:
Partner 1(white beltch) I kept laying on my back in side control and didn't fight to get up, need to keep arms closer to bod as got caught a couple of times.
Partner 2(black) heavy but stupid me allowed the same position - as in - he controlled me and I responded the same way.
Partner 3(blue from previous class) got into better positions a couple of times, tried to go a bit harder.
Feels:
What could I have done differently: not sit still ever lolol, keep arms close.....keep arms close and keep arms close. Go for the neck, switch base more often to move, keep good base stable as poss on toes. I could have made sure I had more secure position in the one or two situations where I could have got a sub. Not a case of panicking just not paying attention to detail.
When did things go wrong: When partners were in side control.....when I let them get in control or respond too slowly....
Why did it go wrong: Need to move faster..... turn up the rude....fight to get up...go for the throat
What did I do right:
All lit etc about jits is that its about the tech, I don't have any tech so until I do I'll have to move with intensity, I don't have any technical attributes at this stage so I'll have to try and draw on others ie conditioning, strength and general cuntiness.
Have come to the realization that when I get instruction from a white belt I find it quite dickish which would make me a dick when I do it.
The bod is achy, stretching needed, either that or one jits day go for broke the other not so much.

What's the takeaway rener?
Go hard=No regrets..... Don't be a dick

Last edited:
Day 10:
Morning condit session:

Sprawls, crunches, hip escapes, chins, few pressups.
Descending ladders of work/ rest: 10 of exercise/ 10 sec rest, 9 of exercise/ 9 sec rest down to 1/1 *2.
Descending double: 5 chins/10 crunches, 4 chins/9 crunches etc etc *2.

Kind words from fellow white beltch, chur bol

Mid arvo strength session
100 air squats and eggbeater to loosen up, joints feel like crap, got warm enough to feel confident enough to...
Dead ;)
3*8@60 focus on speed
3*5@100
3*2@120
5*1@130 filled bod w as much air as poss as no belt on hand
2*8@60 1 up 2 down

Did old descending ladder chin routine from 7 while I....
Watched GC instructor do a private.........sitting up into opponents half, whizzer arm and use up leg to pendulum to hip on hip kneeling, pressure their turtle then pull them onto their back when they react with resistance.......stretch them out....stretch them

Last edited:
I keep getting cranked from pins as well, saw the oldest lion at the gym getting his neck wrenched from same same, pissed me off coz the dude doing it had quite the vindictive look on his face and old cat is in his 70s, There's no really masterful technique in wrenching away at someone's neck and your training partners only have one spine. It strikes me that half the clowns at my gym are in fact passive aggressive shit stains who use training as an opportunity to dominate people and get a little tickle in the back of their balls ....... such is life
Just as well there are a bunch of GC's at the gym too ...... head down, bum up, do work, progress

Escapes:

I've had the joys of DOM's for the last couple of days, my blisters are in town so I may be able to get away with hanging out in the garage with my kettle-bells tonight, try and stretch out my parts..... reelak reelak

Last edited:
Day 11
Jits class
Drilled the knee pass to knee on belly

I'll start at the end first.....with the feels...I had a chat to an older guy who suggested that I spend the first year just defending, make it a goal to get through a class without getting tapped, sounds like a plan sir, thanking you.....

My throat and shoulder ache remind me that I'm not as tough as I think I am nor should I act as tough as tough as tough.....

Rolled:
Partner 1: Kiwi dude who always takes it easy (with me), we moved back and forth changing positions, was nice to just flow and not get yanked on. Chur the bro. We shared a laugh.
Partner 2: Young cat, strong and fit, dude blows a lot of energy, want to say to bro to reelak reelak, we stale mated on the feet, I held him in a one arm thai clinch to get a breather until he suggested we go back to ground, he improved position but no sub. We shared a laugh.
Partner 3: Skilled dude, we were sat in front of one another after dude tapped me(again) and dude goes to me 'what!?' fuck I lol, early morning grump, I got stuck in Kesa Gatame at one point and tried to escape as above, will have to drill and drill or not get pinned at all.
Partner 4: narrowly avoided Harry hard-out and got to partner who took it easy on me, gave me some advice etc ..... chur bol

What could I have done better/ differently: Responded when partner moved to improve their position and get ahead of it, there were several instances where this happened and I brain farted.
Where could I have used a technique but didn't try: Move to stand up, people always pass my guard, I think I need take downs, I thought I would have been a guard player because of my long legs, maybe I could learn some take downs instead and learn how to move around on top...
Things usually go wrong when I play guard and don't get my hips out at the right angle.
I need to get to a position where I can use some leverage.

Be good to observe other mature cats and see how they manage their daily daily...see first sentence

Last edited:
Day 12
Drills

Rumbled hip insertion.

Just used the mma bag to move around, practiced the previous days knee pass to knee on belly, switch base to mount, switching knee on belly, s mount to arm bar.
Also did a few hip escapes to standing.

Did a count down of mixed type press ups: 12 to 1 with hands on bag, did one set stood up and moved to a different position, did another set etc etc.
Did count down of military type press ups and crunches: 10 and 10, 9 and 9, etc etc.
Did maybe 200 crunches of mixed type: practiced pendulum of one leg.
Did countdown of kipping chins:5-1,4-1,3-1,2-1,1.

Shadow boxed and moved around.

Was at the gym for 1 hr, did maybe 40min work, need to use timer every time.

Energy levels have been pretty low over the last week, disciplined rest periods are needed, pain in knee has decreased a little, is still susceptible to jarring, mobility in legs very poor, arthritic cramps in left ankle regular but manageable, outside of needing to proactively/daily stretch hip flexors bike has been a blessing for knees and ankles. Need to keep torso upright when switching base and knee on belly.

Day 13

Warmed all limbs up prior to class, rolled glutes and back.

Main man was away today, two BB's took class.
Jits
tech: 1)leg drag to side mount/knee ride and 2)heel hook bait to side mount.

1)You start standing, partner on back and has feet on your hips, push hips against their pressure, one hand on right ankle one hand on right knee, pass their right leg over outside of own right thigh 'into pocket', step own left knee down onto inside of their left, your right foot under their left thigh prevents escape, stay heavy.
Once the drag sequence is complete you can also step your right outside to knee ride their right hip and belly, Mount.

Bottom persons escape prior to knee slice is sweep left foot over to right hand side, create angle with hips and come back to guard.

2) From above staring position loop arm under opponents left ankle and figure four, break fall backward, opponent will stand inside your guard to counter, pass their leg to your left hip, sit up and under-hook their left arm, move to your left knee against their butt simultaneously pulling them across to your right to sweep, Mount.

Rolled

Partner 1) Lighter/ younger/ slightly hesitant, more experience but took it easy and mainly attempted technique, GC.
Partner started from side control then moved to sub where I managed to sweep, I really don't know how, ended up in partners open guard, used knee slice to pass, moved to side control and partner went to reguard, used switch base to move to other side, knee on belly then mount......all the things, partner under-hooked a leg and swept, got to s mount and worked for the arm, resisted arm-bar but would have been subbed if he really cranked it on, saved by the bell.
Partner 2) Heavy/ strong/ gave zero fucks, I picked a soft faced guy who ended up dominating me lolol, dude bent fingers backward, I looked at him like thafuq just happened? His face was blank lololol dude kneck cranked, dropped his weight hard.... all the things, got me to the point where I had to turtle and just try and defend, will be a good partner once a week (or month maybe), no malice in the dude just didnt care and played to win, fair play, got subbed thrice.
Partner 3) Fellow white beltch, smaller/ faster/ attempts tech over everything else, GC, partner sat and butterflied, I thought about the knee slice but I thought too long, ended up in guard, subbed from a key lock.........started again kneeling partner fell to ankle lock, tapped, partner fell to ankle lock again, stood to counter, loled, partner fell to ankle lock again, 50/50, saved by the bell.

Feels
Partner 1) can mainly use tech with this chap, should attempt seat belts and back takes.
Partner 2) brain farted with surprise when he 'thought outside the square', no point being polite as the outcome will be the same, should have switched levels for double unders and driven the shoulder in, dude leaped on my neck at every chance, will have to keep head square with torso, also need bridges or iso exercises for neck and balls.
Partner 3) again should try and move to take back somehow, maybe hip on hip, facing partners head on no good.

Last edited:
Day 14

AM

Rode in slow, bike service on Mon, pick up Tue, Wed challenge get in under 25.
Drills, combined all previous bag drills trying to flow as much as possible while keeping pressure.
Did sporadic sets of crunches, 10 per arm-bar position.
Included sprawl with strong hip movement, attempt to mimic dropping to previous class' leg drag to side control type posture/ position (no leg to drag of course).
Did 'sets' of hip up to triangle turning hip out at slight angle.
30 Minutes work in 45 Minutes.
Did countdown of kipping chins:5-1,4-1,3-1,2-1,1. 1 up 2 down.
Watched purps and BB's roll gi, BB's stalemate.....too many strong, purp rolling with blue defend neck and improve position.........

The harder I train, the luckier I get......

Last edited:
Day 17

Bike's fucked

No sleep gang
Did some drills
Took a while for the hips to get warm
Mostly same as previous drill day, also hip escapes and reguard, pendulum to get up and pass guard
Half hours work in 40 minutes
Did countdown of kipping chins from 5 as previous - should really be doing from 7 or 8 and presses in break

Talked to rolling BB's - need a Gi to join the fun

Back