Damo Marino's spindly apendages

Tuesday
Everybody had a good sleep last night, I turned my alarm off and made it into no gi class with 5 min to spare.

Had a quick chat to tree who explained his approach to smashing the knee shield.
Basically he advised to knee cut once you squash or to open and drive one way and pass the other when uke responds.
Tree also spoke on the value of no gi and how it teaches you to stay tighter.

Did some td stuff with coach beard.
Shoot double drill, elbows in, spine aligned, dead lift posture, push uke's elbows up, drop to level, drive lead knee to floor deep between uke's feet, get head deep into their rib, look hard to where you want to drive them, drive off to 45, use head to drive, suck uke's legs into you.

Had a roll with mr Brown, moved a little better, also had a roll with big homie blue and new new.
I defended ok against mr Brown, easy as he was rolling easy, tried the shin on shin against big homie blue, he commented that my side control is way better, cheah brosef.
Almost got inverted triangled by new new, have decided newer cats aren't going to sub me unless I allow it so he got the elbow in the neck and knee on sternum, played s mount on him, showed basic hip escape in return, I need dudes like him, he a nice gai too.
I used a gift-wrap to get a weird little back take, I'd like to get a bar on the arm I hold but getting my hips at the right angle is a little tricky, I always get my bottom leg trapped, this is the leg that needs to swing over the head to get stability, maybe I could get the foot then the knee in the back/ kidney. I might try it in the gi and use the foot on ukes belt to create some distance.
There's most likely a better way to enter and a better sub, the obvious is mata leao.
I also got to a good omo possy but need to trap the arm harder and stay tighter, next time I might try a reverse arm bar instead.
Also hitting basic scissor and foot on hip on the hegular, gonna have to focus on flower now.
Small portion of wheat, almonds, sultanas, orange and strong coffee.
Boot back to dojo mid morn and do bag slams and push ups, half hour work and ten min rest.
Left shoulder is def a bit fucky, will need to practice granby's etc through my right.
My taint still aches from dropping my pelvis on a knee a couple of days ago.
Lucky me pretty much got the run of the shop today as I arrived between classes.
Bod feels really achy today, gonna have to hit the foam roller and deep heat.
Broc, colliie, green beans, mushees, brown rice, coconut, kafir, garlic, toms, kumara, water.
Milk.
Another coffee......porra

Chicken thigh with toms, mushees, zucchini, peppers and onions on parmy and spag.
Yog, strawberries, honey, almonds, coconut, water.

Last edited:
Wednesday
Went to sister gym to do Gi class, left at 5.45 and got there at 6.30, perfect.
Have the awesome banter.
Roll back a little and eggbeater.
Drill arm bar from side to triangle (good response to uke sitting up): uke defends bar, swing torso toward feet, uke sits up, slide your 'lead' leg under uke's head, swing your torso toward uke's head and turn your hips over triangling legs. Key is switching hips to close gaps.
Also did Barato-plata from guard/ transition from triangle.
The set up here is a little diffirent but it's the same sub:

Do not put this on hard or on lower belts as there is very little room for error in terms of injuring opponent/ training partner.
Rolled for a few rounds, got the keenan arm bar defense against white belt homie, sussed out a new partner, very mellow enjoyable roll, got used as dummy for top triangle by purp.....only got subbed three times...
Shots, wheat, almonds, sultanas.
Back to central dojo to do some light bag rounds and stretch/ foam roll.
Hamo PT speaks on old injury, I feel your pain brosef.
Chicken thigh with toms, mushees, zucchini, peppers and onions on parmy and spag.
Try and smash 2 litre of milk a day to get some casein.
3.8 is the recommended literage for squats&milk, an old school workout which uses milk to assist getting your calories up.
Orange.
Peanut butter on wholegrain.
Burgers, fries and sugar water.

Last edited:
Thursday
Good rest, the fam are happy.
Bike in, service neck week, you mean next week? awww guuummmmooonnn....
Get to no gi class in the nick of time with coach beard.
We gentle drill, we pummel play, we drill same same double leg.
Then next drill is get up from turtle: Down man sits back on heels, peaks out (looks) to either side of up mans rib cage, look to get cup hook on opposite side, site up and drive, vis a vis the double the direction you look is the direction you drive, if you peak out to the left look right and drive and vice versa.
If you peak out to your left post your left leg.
Drilled this for 1 min rounds swapping partners on the buzzer.
Had a roll with the homie, slimed out of the triangle, he lets me switch and get the mount quite often.
Boot to work, shots, cupply boiled eggs, wheat, almonds, sultanas, water.

Boot back to dojo.
Do 9 down of push ups from bear crawl position on soft med ball, played with tempo, do crunches in between 'sets'.
Have supa chill roll w new blue, got the good deep half sweep and slimed to mount.
Water, dirty canned spag and whole grain, cupply litre milk.

Need to change my pillows to something firmer as neck has some creak.
Also have to do pulls tomorrow, might try a farmers walk burn out or some leg stuff or some treadmill.

White rice, slow cook chook, toms, cheddar, avocado, cucumber, flat bread, spring onion, sour cream.
Yog, apple, strawberry, coconut, banana, orange, honey.

Last edited:
Friday
Tail wind so pleasant ride in.
Do some wrestler bridge drills with rope, single chins and hang off bar to warm hands up.
Do gi class, we roll.
Just the big homies in class today, got plenty of instruction/ revision*, we roll for the majority and then pow wow at the end.
Big purp showed me how to tighten up darce, he's the same span as me and advised the darce and anaconda should be my boogy. Purp had me in Darce, Coach beard advised to stiff arm collar and come out, switch hips, get to knees and go....application of previous games/ theory.
Purp said to 'asian schoolgirl' my knees for foot on hip sweep defense.
Purp reckons I need another couple of hours a week to advance my Gi, will have to make sister dojo a regular.
Had a jam with Vancouver and got Keenans wrecking ball coz he gave me the down leg, I almost skweeeeeeed....as advised by purp I need to stay off the flat of my back as Vancouver got my arms a cupply times, I also didnt stabilize S mount properly so will have to work on it against new peeps.
Sat one out then got toyed by black, the golden truth: deffer to the basics.
*Most of our end of class talk was as per previous classes and chats with colors, basically I need to focus on what I'm taught in class and rinse and repeat as often as possible, have a basic plan in each roll, enjoy.

Hespect.

Braundo, shots, banana, apple.

Go back in and do some loosey goosey seoi nage entry, bridge with rope and 6 down chins.
Also do some deads:
55*8*2, 85*5*2 off plates, 95*5*5.
Was going to get a protein drink from reception but booted back to work and sculled a liter of milk instead.
Eat all my eats in the late arvo: White rice, slow cook chook, toms, cheddar, avocado, cucumber, spring onion, wheat, almonds, sultanas, coconut, water.
Have been doing a Sunday night revise of the weeks notes and the weekend feels, will now compress weeks notes into bullet points. Hopefully this will give me a game-plan(s).
Toms, chook, brie, parmisan, kumara, courgette, mushroom.

Last edited:
Weekend feels and notes
Left shoulder was a bit fucky on Friday and has gotten a little worse, there's a strange shitty little niggle in the cuff, not bad pain, just a niggle, once it's warm it's fine, don't want to aggravate it though.
Back is still tense and making that horrible click, it tenses hard and then feels like it clicks in my fuckin soul.
Can only keep stretching, bridging and dead lif
Had some good feedings over the weekend, snacked between all my meals and have stayed at the same weight. Pre shite Monday morn I weighed 75.4.

Weeks bullets(need to collate previous weeks notes):

• Shin on shin guard>use to stall>stand>get hip on hip> get back> hooks in>mata leao
  • Shoot double>deadlift>turn corner>jump to 'correct' side>side control
  • 3)Suck legs in>drive shoulder into opponent hips to pin>step over for mount>switch to side>arm in triangle choke
  • Uke turns away from triangle choke>s mount
  • Gift wrap>take back>hooks in>mata leao
  • Isolate arm from guard>pendulum hips out>reverse straight arm bar>loop leg around head for inverted triangle
  • Spinning arm bar>opponent sits up>pendulum torso>over leg goes under head>pendulum again>triangle
  • Baratoplata from back if opponent looks to escape triangle by gable own arm
  • Turtle>peek out>hook one side>plant peek out side foot>drive>side control>3)
  • Wrecking ball>s mount> arm bar> triangle> baratoplata
  • Tomahawk/scissor/flower
  • Walk around to power out of triangle>get to side control>d'arce
  • Can get brutal cross face if uke reaches under to flower(reach under their reach under)>switch hips and bust half with free hand>d'arce
Monday
5.20 get up, decide not to go to sister, as soon as I get on the road I regret leaving my Gi at home.
Get to central dojo, do 15 min tread mill and 5 min skip, arm still aches, ankle is ankle, calf is fine.
Do old straight punch warm up and 2 on 2 off on bag for half an hour.
Some crunches and chats, wrestler homies are back in the house, good to see.
Apple, orange, shots, wheat, almonds, sultanas, 2 boiled eggs.

Bear crawl position press ups off mma bag....contemplated weight vest but naaaaa...neck week.. did 10 down with crunches between sets porradaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!! lerlz.
Sez hello to peep holes, back to mahi for liter of cow juice and some shots.

Forcemeat, kumara, frankensteined vegetable veloute/ mornay with parmesan , onions, garlic, carrot and salt sauces, layered and baked w 1 layer of pasta sheet.
Liter of milk.

Silverside that's been ticking away all day in bay, 5 spice and pepper, buttery mash and cauliflower.

Last edited:
Tuesday
Bike in after perc.
Tried to tread mill but ankle is too stiff and swollen, got on the concept 2 for 3*5's.
Did no gi class with high state of urgency.
We pummel, we do double take down drill, we do basic knee up butt to open guard then get to combat base, we roll.
I need to do more re-guard and passing drills, the push me pull you concept is inherent in all the jits all the time.
I roughed up a new new but I couldn't help it, dude kept me on the ball....damn
Saw tree, he gave me a big grin and asked if I'm coming to sister tomorrow....better look up some key lock defense.
Sucked down a coke, really craved the sugar, wheat, sultanas, almonds, orange, shots.

Played with weight vest: did some warm up pulls with no vest 5*5 then 5*3 with 20kg vest on.
Can do 5*5 in next sesh and add in more bricks to the vest.
Tried to suss out some kind of drag drill with battle rope but ended up getting the wedgie.
Did some more chins and bridging instead.
Hands burn out pretty quick doing chins on rope, will work up to rope climb from sitting on floor.
Had a chat to big homie hamo, he's been giving vancouver some s&c, (not verbatim but) he spoke on being faster transitioning and having enough strength at the right time.
Not having to be super strong but having enough and getting to where you want to be before the other guy gets to where they want to be.

Silverside, dirty rye, iceberg, cheddar, milk.
Rice crackers.
Chicken thigh, toms, mushees, zucchini, spaghetti, stock, cheddar.
I'm gonna go out for dinner and get fucked up with my better so I better train hard i te wiki nei.

Last edited:
Wednesday
I packed my gi last night and woke to the sound of heavy rain so my hand reached out and turned off my alarm, got up at half 5, unpacked my Gi and sprinted the bike through the wet to the central gym.

I moved on the floor for around half an hour, just unwinding the body and feeling my aches.
I had around 15min roll and just focused on simple stuff: bridge escape, sit out, re-guard, knee up butt, pummel, shoot double.
2 eggs, wheat, almonds, sultanas, shots.
Back to dojo for MMA bag: move around getting into tight combat base, focus on posture, step back pass, bull fighter, knee on belly, jump over.
Chicken thigh, toms, mushees, zucchini, spaghetti, stock, cauli.

Really tired today.................saw one of the homies who hasnt trained in a while, dude smashed his knee up, dude only has two gears, stop and go, reckoned he'll be in tomorrow for a roll....I dread it lol

Pizza..........................

Last edited:
Thursday
Has crept up so fast.
My energy levels are really shit balls, I think it's because I've refueled with crap.
Did no Gi today, no calisthenics before hand, we focused on escaping mount, follow standard rules, good fundamental drills.
Had a chat to big brohams about deep half sweeps, what I thought was deep was just half.
The shark showed me a sweep from half: Get tight, trap their other foot and pull it in, they can only post their knee, roll in the direction of where their weight tips, suck their legs in, jam your shoulder into and pin their hips, mount.
Shark also shows how to rainbow kick out of half top leg hook to back step and pass to side.
Biggest purp shows how to place head on chest to hide neck from D'arce and guillotine.
My rolls today feel stiff as a board.
Get to work and down three eggs and some coffee.
Head back to gym and drill moving in smash pass position, I stay light and low for as long as quads can handle, can do this in 3 to 4 minute bursts, just need to keep chipping away.
Then I drill hip escape and upa.
Then I have flow roll with blue dude, at the moment I can only really get into good top positions by using power.
Braundo, wheat, sultanas, coconut, oranges.

Peanut butter on whole grain
Porterhouse, cut fries, spinach, toms, onions, cucumber.
Water.
Strawberries, peaches, walnuts, sultanas, cocnut, honey, greek yog, banana.

Last edited:
Friday
Redbull gives you voms.
Do gi class, do warm up of defensive sit out with collar grips.
Roll.
The shark tells me to fight collar and mostly my failings are a case of him beating me to the punch.
Good feels until I burn out my arms, really need to work on the rope/chin progressions and switching to different grips. Should try and use hooks too, hooks don't burn out.
Shark wasnt really using presh either.
Completely burnt out on big homie blue, more mentally than physically, arms still felt like jelly from tense grips.
He showed me to trap overhook from full, jam same side knee up behind hooked arm, reach over for collar, jam other hand in thumb first and clock.
Also trap overhook from full, get same side foot hook into hip, kick out opponents opposite posted knee and sweep in that direction.
Hanuman showed to pass knee shield by getting tight and dragging it back into arm pit, drive same side arm for underhook of their arm, drive shoulder in hard, trap their other arm in your arm pit hard, post non trapped foot and drive your hip into their hip and slide trapped leg up and forward until you feel opponent lock at your ankle, turn hips and boot their leg off your ankle. PASSED.
I'm aching just writing this. Rotator cuff, arms and ego.
Certain I should be looking for gears between the gears.
Had a whinge to Vancouver while I sucked back a Musasi, shook hands and offered thanks and lame jokes.
Shots, Strawberries, peaches, walnuts, sultanas, coconut, honey, greek yog, banana.
Sidle back in, take coach beards advice and move with intention while 'shadow rolling', do some hip escape and knee cut on mma bag.
Meat pie and choc, braundo.
Will try and squeeze some body weight movement in over the weeks end.

Last edited:
Weekend feels and notes from weeks work
HBD to my partner in crime, we ate out and had a beer each, home to bed by 10pm
Ate a lot of red meat over the weekend, a little dehydrated as not enough fluid
Puku feels like it's got a small brick in it
My shoulder hasn't really improved I'll just have to nurse it and not get caught in rolling
Back still has a deep click, I'll write it off as bad posture/ strength and dehydration
Arthritis hasn't been that bad, hands have had some ache, need to stay on the bands
  • Bear crawl posture has improved as has standing to pass posture, need to keep it up
  • Need to do 5*5 pulls with vest and burn out with rope pull ups
  • Stick with knee up butt and smash knee shield pass, maybe try a tripod with head on chest, remember to rainbow kick
  • Try sharks half sweep
  • Practice simple hook and bridge sweeps on new peeps
  • Alternate hooks and grips to prevent grips burn out
  • Be aware of collar and lapel controls
Monday
Just light bag working punches, wrapped hands which gave confidence re power.
Did some collar tie with wrestler homie and had him in my guard, him dropping shots and me looking to control biceps.
3 eggs, shots, apple and banana.
Went back in for more light bag work.
Roast lamb, kumara, potato.
Chicken breast, baps, spinach, tomato, cucumber, avocado, cheddar.
Chocolate.

Last edited:
Tuesday

Quick bike in, last service today and then I'll return it through their window porra!!!!
Grapple with wrestler homie, I feel really tentative to shoot as he can sprawl really well on me and I dont feel like I'm explosive enough......yet, I really want the double to be one of my go to's.
I can get a reasonable snap down if I feint.
When he gets your back he doesn't look to choke, he just puts his forearm across your chin, gets a gable and arches his back lolol. I've learned to turn into him really fast.
I like dude cos he's rough and tumble, hopefully I can get at least one little rumble in with him a week and practice some wrestling.

Then do nogi with coach beard, we do bear crawl, defensive stand and offensive? stand to shoot for warm up.
We also drilled single X.
Some bald kiwi leg lock guy named John was in town so coach showed us some details for 50/50:
Ass to ass, under foot to outside cheek, outside foot dug into hip, clamp your knees and lean your chest into victims leg, once you own their thigh and knee with clamping pressure you can have your way with their foot.

Vancouver has a comp this weekend so he got shark tank, it was tough.
Showed young homie how to gift wrap when mount then get arm triangle.....he like triangle.
Did 6 down chins on way home after picking up bike from the shop, kipped some single muscle ups as well.
Shoulder still feels a bit fucked.
Apple, banana, pear, egg, shots, choc, up and go, milk.
Chicken breast, spinach, tomato, cucumber, avocado, cheddar.
Lamb, cheddar, flat bread, rocket, brown rice, red onion, tomato, cucumber, chocolate.
Milk.

Last edited:
Wednesday
Went in to main dojo today, did some fast air squats and sprawls to try and activate my hips but no go.
Jumped on the concept 2 for a bit and that did the trick.
Practiced my shot and then one of the homies walked on the mats.
Slap, bump, roll, fairly competitive in 50/50, I try and focus on good fundamentals, posture etc, getting back to solid base.
More homies walk on and roll, maybe roll for 35.
Got caught under a new dude and couldnt move hips, really need bridging.
Wrestler homie also lies in my guard and just keeps me flat.
Need to practice keeping distance with guard and learn hook controls.
Tweaked neck and knee a little.
Apple, pear, banana, wheat, sultanas, almonds, coconut, milk, shots.
Boot back in and do some switch hips on bag and some re-guard on floor: half an hours work across 40 minutes. 1st round was maybe 5 min of urgency, then 5, then 4, then 4, some crunches, some loosey goosey invert stuff and snake movement.
Lamb, cheddar, rocket, brown rice, red onion, tomato, cucumber, milk.
Chicken, pumpkin, kumara, tomato, cheddar, honey, balsamico, choc, water, milk.

Last edited:
Thursday
Cuddle my bear and smooch his ma, coffee, today chill and chat to homies.
Class with beard.
We do seat-belt on back, notes (prompts) from the whole class
For back man: press through the middle of their back, sit back on your toes, suck arms up into their waist and under their ribs, keep knees tight once you draw back, when you're making hooks keep them high on the thigh and tight, pull back onto your side which has their arm hooked, be heavy, under leg can hook into the back of their thigh if you want arm bar.
For defensive man: shoulders in front of hips, butterfly legs, four finger fight their choke hand at its knife edge, two on one and spin out, fight their leg hooks with your elbows, fight their seat belt by pinching your elbow.
Rolls: fight kesa by bridge and roll and get hips under then roll back other way, turn head into uke's chest to prevent getting flattened out when in deep half, when passing knee shield using combat base keep same side knee up as knee shield then cut through, head is safe below uke's hips when body is parallel. I'm more aware of arm hook fighting now.
Wish homies luck for GI.
3 eggs, pear, shots, kiwi, orange, water.
My knee on belly isnt as secure as I'd like, perfect practice makes perfect.

Skip to get warm-5 min-shoulder a little achy still so no weight vest, maybe tomorrow.
Do rounds of press ups, chins using battle rope and crunches, no real urgency.
1)10,4,10-9,4,9-8,4,8-7,3,7-6,3,6-5,3,5-4,2,4-3,3,3-2,2,2-1,1,1-6min.
2)9,4,9-8,4,8-7,4,7-6,4,6-5,3,5-4,3,4-3,2,3-2,2,2-1,1,1-5min.
3no crunches)8,4-7,4-6,4-5,4-4,3-3,3-2,2-1,1-3min.
Then do wrestlers bridge drill with battle rope as assist.
Climb rope from floor twice hand over hand.
A few dead hangs from the bar to stretch.
Braundo, chicken, pumpkin, kumara, tomato, cheddar, honey, balsamico, water, milk.

Matches to watch: Jackson vs Tonon, Terra vs Grippo, Pena vs Diniz, Pena vs Simoes, Alexander vs Imada, anything from sister gym coaches at berkut comp.
Lamb, mash, carrot, toms, gravy, green beans, water, chocolate.

Last edited:
Friday
Let the fam snore, weak perc, pleasant ride.
2*5 on concept 2.
Gi class w beard.
We do more securing leg position, emphasis on using outside hook foot to suck uke into you, dont reach for collars just use your legs, there's no need to lean back to secure leg, it's better to pinch your legs and concentrate on uke's knee 1st.
To escape sit over uke's hooking leg, dont roll, fight the hook first and dont let uke pinch their knees, scoot back.
We had some light rolls, I just focused on knee cut, I tried spider on hanuman and he sucked my legs together using my lapel, he moved straight for his grips and got them whenever he wanted, I looked to get under hooks but there was no space, the only time I felt the slightest 'success' was when I postured up and stood away.
Shots, 3 eggs, pear, kiwi.
Bolted back in and skipped for 5 to get warm.
5 min of wrestler drills.
4 min of toss bag.
4 min of knee on belly (had a mini vom)
4 min of toss bag.
4 min of animal and snake.
15 min roll: dude was heavier-needed to use frames to keep distance but failed and got flattened out.

Break fast in the arvo, lots of sultanas, almonds, coconut, wheat and milk.
Might be an idea to look back through my diet this week and compare to last week and do a loose measure of carbs, protein, fat as I've had more energy this week than last.

Last edited:
Feels and bullets
No one got sleep but we ate really well, keep waking up feeling like I have a dead shoulder
Had some major claustrophobia in the last couple of weeks, have been able to breath through it
  • Single X>sweep>Johns leg control>snap ankles
  • Feint between snap downs and doubles
  • Keep distance with butterfly hooks and frames
  • Seatch beltch>
For back man: press through the middle of their back, sit back on your toes, suck arms up into their waist and under their ribs, keep knees tight once you draw back, when you're making hooks keep them high on the thigh and tight, pull back onto your side which has their arm hooked, be heavy, under leg can hook into the back of their thigh if you want arm bar.
For defensive man: shoulders in front of hips, butterfly legs, four finger fight their choke hand at its knife edge, two on one and spin out, fight their leg hooks with your elbows, fight their seat belt by pinching your elbow.
Rolls: fight kesa by bridge and roll and get hips under then roll back other way, turn head into uke's chest to prevent getting flattened out when in deep half, when passing knee shield using combat base keep same side knee up as knee shield then cut through, head is safe below uke's hips when body is parallel.

• Can pull self up rope hand over hand off floor
  • Energy levels are better due to eggs for breaky
  • Going back through the week I count 125min of rolling time
Monday
Only had a few hours sleep, unpacked my gi again and put my 16s in, really gutted but cant be helped, did some lackadaisical bag work just focused on my cross and my whip.
Apple, banana, 2 eggs, wheat, almonds, sultanas, orange, shots.

Go in again, do 5 min skip and move around, do 5 *3min rounds with mma bag w 1min rest, moved with as much urgency as I could muster, probably could tack on more, did some bridge with the battle rope to assist then had a 15min roll with dude Mars, slicker than me which isn't saying much, he used x guard to keep me at distance and suck me in when he wanted, my knee cut is ass, def needs practice, I need to suss another way to pass from standing as well, once I get the far side under hook and cross face it is super cunty, even when in uke's half, cool to roll with dudes who use different tricks.

Chicken breast, white rice, corn, spinach, tomato, pickled cabbage, capsicum.

Last edited:
Tuesday
Perc, bike, 5 on concept 2, 10 on airdyne going super easy.
Wrestler homie shows arm drag, drive head against outside of tricep and step out staying tight, get to waist/ seat-belt.
Also over hook one arm and wrist control other, step same side foot as over hook arm between uke's legs, drop in for fireman.
No Gi
We do combat base drilling, coach breaks down all the fundamentals.
Goku took myself and partner through some things, simple subs and sweeps from full guard, the one that stood out to me was his two for one arm-bar and triangle.
Then we roll three*three's, really sweet F.A.
Gonna try and work for subs on new peeps this week, chokes and chokes and chokes.
Have a boogie with white belt homie, supafast but no strength, he going for the heel and I try and sit over mai gaawd.
Suck back some shots, a bull, and two bits of fruit.
Back in and skip for a few to get blood flowing.
5*3 w 30sec rest of 10 dive bomb, 10 wrestler drill bridge w rope, ten sit ups, keep form as true as poss.
Play rope climb and bridge neck until hands feel chet.
Do 5*3 chins w vest w all but 3 bricks (20kg), then remove bricks for more chins, then cupply more chins sans vest.
I'm only 73.4 today............
Hamo coach advises squats, squats here I come.
Tuna, white rice, corn, spinach, tomato, pickled cabbage, capsicum, wheat, almonds, sultanas, orange, water, shots.
Mama's pizza.
Banana, coconut, almonds, mandarin, sultana, honey, yogurt, apple.

Last edited:
Wednesday
Up early and bike in after coffee, jump on the tread mill for 10 to get warm(er).
Watched Mr Boi on YouTube last night and it inspired me to do some loose rounds on bag.
Had a play with wrestler homie for maybe 10-15min.
He reckons I don't roll enough, he right.
Yogurt, peaches, sultanas, coconut, mandarin, apple, honey, banana, shots.
Have quite a few aches today, tendons in right knee and arthritic left ankle post jog.
Wasn't intending to go back in but did and glad for it.
Chucked the vest on and did some air squats 25*8, then teeped the fuck out of the bag, feels good mang.
Braundo get in me.

Pie and choc.
Force meat, toms, lemon to deglaze, salt sauce, carrot, bacon, mushroom, penne, water, milk.

Last edited:
Thursday
Public transport to gym, suck down redbull.
Feeling stiff so took a whole 15 to stretch loosey goosey.
No gi class with shark, do trad warm up then reverse arm bar drill from open guard.
I had a good jam with a dude my size, he's a relative beginner but in pretty good shape, he also had a hard roll before me, I got to some goooood controlling positions but couldnt finish, later in class big purp reminds me I need to switch hips waaay more. I also rolled with homies who've been at the club around the same length of time as me, I slid around on my back too much and we exchanged easy subs and sweeps, more fun than anything.

My phobia crept in today, I got really shook, felt the panic welling up, luckily I was with big purp and he was taking it easy, he let me up really quick and I got some breath.
Fuckin' terribly shit feeling but that's part of the reason I signed up.
Need to cool it on the caffeine, stress and lack of sleep mixture, chuck some being mindful in there instead, run and row a little more, press and pull a little more, sex a lot more.
Milk. Force meat, toms, lemon to deglaze, salt sauce, carrot, bacon, mushroom, penne.
Milk.

Last edited:
Saturday class, feels and bullets:
No class on Friday, public holiday and comp training held at new gym but missed the boat, a bit gutted but never mind. Managed to get to Sat Gi class with the main man, we do hegular warm up then he pulls us in for question time, you ask question, he answer, we drill.
1) how do you respond to smash pass when your have rdlr? invert in opposite direction.
2) how do I tighten baseball bat? spin out.
There was another question but number one got my attention the most as it incorporated two things I like to do: leg entanglement and smash.
Then we roll, so good to get some rounds in, most cats I rolled against were a little lighter than me, I got a few pointers to make space with guard and then tighten my triangle/ control, got a couple of sweeps, made a couple of errors in giving the collar, I could have had more success if I responded explosively.....sitting out/framing with collar/wrestler stuff.
Auckland recommend not going (falling back for) for the straight ankle as uke will put foot on floor and always sit up, he gave me a good reminder, to me the shit is kind of lazy and I don't have a great interest in foot locks, I only do them when I get bored and want the position to change completely in the roll/ restart.
Did a little rope climb and talk to homie after class, a couple of the guys I started with are flying past me as they get way more rounds, he suggested I come to comp class too.
I tried a go behind on him and looked to get in good shooting range, I really have to commit to the shit otherwise it will fail.
I've also been using foot hooks and distance to prevent the stepping/ walk around pass.

Work on:

• combat base
  • knee cut every way
  • kicking out of half
  • kicking out of take-down when/ during sprawl/ stand or take back supaquick
  • escape 50/50 and get to Combat base
  • committing to take downs
  • points of contact when guardiero
  • focus on controlling guardiero's hips when passing
  • 69 min of roll time, how fuckin' disappointing, need to bite the bullet and ignore the wet
I ate a lot of slow burning energy food over the weekend, probably ate too much red meat again, it just hangs around in my system.

Monday:

Lots of ache and stiffness as well as a little pain, just do some ginastica/yoga/animal movement for 40 min then have really brief roll with wrestler homie and Irish cat, one thing I've noticed about cats that have just come off comps or graded is that they all mentally and physically kick into another gear, it's cool cool.
Coffee, 2 apples, 2 boiled eggs, 3 wheatbix, 3T coconut, handful wallnuts, Ltr milk.
Short pastry, pumpkin, kumara, roast lamb, egg wash, tomato.
Chicken, pumpkin, kumara, asparagus, mushroom, cheddar, spaghetti.
Not enough fluid.

Last edited:
Tuesday
Spent some time opening the hips before no gi class, knees and ankle are fragile.
I like this and will do a shit load more:

After warm up we do mount ride and escape, we do game, I do ok, just hip bump, shrimp and get back to half.
Then roll, coach beard reminds me to be careful with my knee and enter into combat base with foot, try and stay loose when I roll and explode into subs.....
Had a roll with Vancouver, I ended up on the flat of my back again, I need to switch my hips and go to a new place to prevent this, maybe try and get hip to hip.
Timid as fuck today.
Aprox 20min rolling today.
Coffee, liter of milk, 1/5C coconut, wheat, almonds, sultanas.
Chicken, pumpkin, kumara, asparagus, mushroom, cheddar, spaghetti.
Chicken, sour cream, cheddar, spinach, tomato, cucumber, flat bread, brown rice.

Last edited:
Back