Damn, this situation is pretty depressing....

EatMyShorts

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Okay it's like this.

I've been traning UFC about 10 years, but about 2 years ago, I joined a grappling only club, mostly in the Gi.

First time in the Gi, I got rag dolled, by rookies.

Now - I'm still a white belt, and I've explored various approaches to training for this past two and a half years with this club - but recently, I got it nailed, so damn well.

BUT - this situation is materializing more and more;

I actually made other threads about this in the past, when a rookie grappler starts to get good, it upsets some of the more experienced grapplers.

Thing is though - I've been training forever, a lot longer than most of the experienced grapplers, but cause I started as a rookie in their club, who's ass they kicked for the past two and half years, and cause I wear a white belt - they regard me as, proper rookie.

In any case - over the past few sessions, I've been rolling with this brown belt, and - like I said, cause I've finally got my approach nailed down really well, he was having a harder and harder time than he's used to.

So - during the week, we're rolling, and I'm not going very hard.
I have about 10 to 15 kgs on him so, there was some subs I could have escaped, and I just let him finish the movements cause, that's what being a good training partner is in my mind.

But we actually clash heads at one point, and he hardly notices - which is when I realize, he's going super fucking hard; basically like, competition intensity.

He nails a couple more takedowns out of pure aggression and ferocity and then, with about 30 seconds left in the round, I hit this absolutely beautiful Imanari roll - perfectly, right into the inverted heel hook position.

But just to keep things on an even keel - I change it to a regular straight ankle lock to finish.

Then he tells me to "be careful".

I knew, before I even rolled for it - that if I landed it, it felt like his head would explode - that type of a situation.

So just like the other threads I posted - after the session - I could tell he was just fucking fuming.

It's more than a grappling thing.

It's like - a personal thing also.

I'm a - how you say - unique individual - but in a good way.
I don't fit in with regular "clique" bullshit agenda, and have a "nice guy" kind of demeanor - so a lot of the "tough guys", have me labelled as a poof, basically.

So when a poof can take one of them, when they're throwing everything and the kitchen sink, and sub them with beauty - their fucking head explodes.

I say it's depressing cause - it just is.

I understand where they're coming from - but that don't mean I agree with it.

That being said - unlike some of the former times, this dude is actually a European Gi and No Gi champion, and has more maturity so, I suspect this is something he'll get over.

Still though - that reaction was very surprising to me.

Last edited:
I stopped reading after “I’ve been training UFC 10 years”

I have about 10 to 15 kgs on him so, there was some subs I could have escaped, and I just let him finish the movements cause, that's what being a good training partner is in my mind.

Not really. You know inverted heel hooks are banned in the gi?

If you are beating them in practice, why are you confused that they are stepping up the intensity level? Are they just supposed to accept losing instead of going harder and winning? Just because someones heart rate increases doesnt mean they have some personal vendetta against you.

YOu miss 100% of the shots you don;t take

-Kenny Florian

If you are beating them in practice, why are you confused that they are stepping up the intensity level? Are they just supposed to accept losing instead of going harder and winning? Just because someones heart rate increases doesnt mean they have some personal vendetta against you.

It's not the intensity I have a problem with.

It's the fact that, losing in training, is becoming something personal.

If I have a training partner that can consistently kick my ass (and I've had many in the past), I'm delighted - because it shows me this huge area in which I can improve.

So when a dude loses and makes it personal - it shows either he's stagnated, or he must secretly hate you.

You're not as good as you believe you are unless you're winning worlds or ADCC. If they're not saying anything to you directly then them taking it personally is all an ego trip in your head.

If you're serious, you might benefit from some DBT therapy or something that helps you put these interactions into perspective.

It helps me to concretely say that's happened: a brown belt told you to be careful when you almost used an illegal move.
That's it. Those are the only words he said, presumably, and they're totally justified.

I feel for you because I also went in too intense in my rolls and had to learn to back off and use technique when some upper belts told me patiently that I'd have a better experience that way. But that's all you have to do. The people you roll with match your intensity. I'm 90% sure that's what's happening: you go in hard and they match you. Maybe step back for a bit. Pick some people who are older and want to train easier. Ask them what they want out of the roll. I bet you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Come on holt this is a trolling thread. No one "trains ufc for 10 years".

Wait... do you make a killer cole slaw and have amazing core strength?

It's not the intensity I have a problem with.

It's the fact that, losing in training, is becoming something personal.

If I have a training partner that can consistently kick my ass (and I've had many in the past), I'm delighted - because it shows me this huge area in which I can improve.

So when a dude loses and makes it personal - it shows either he's stagnated, or he must secretly hate you.

So you think he hates you and takes it personal because you tried an Imanari roll and he made a comment on your personal safety?

Can someone teach me how to hit an mma style armbar? Like the kind you see in ufc. If I show it to my coach maybe he'll let me train UFC since he'll know I can handle it

Last edited:
You think you are better than everyone else. You claim not to have an ego, but your ego doesn’t let you “clique” with anyone at your gym. You also because an upper belt increased intensity with you, probably because you were rolling super hard, was matching your intensity.

You think you are better than everyone else. You claim not to have an ego, but your ego doesn’t let you “clique” with anyone at your gym. You also because an upper belt increased intensity with you, probably because you were rolling super hard, was matching your intensity.
Forgot to call him an incel

<{vega}>

I don't even know why this thread needed to be created... apart from maybe a way to brag about tapping a brown while being a white?

Back