D&S Community Challenge: Get Shredded Diet (JB)

G

Gavin LeFever

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/get-shredded.pdf

I hope the link works, however it may require membership to PN, which I know at least a significant few of you to have. I think GS is public.

This goes out to all my D&S comrades who may be interested. I'm starting the diet tomorrow (although I don't yet have the Hot Rox, Abs+, Power Drive). I upped my BF% a little over the holidays (got sick, upped cals, training dipped) and have been working back down since. I'm close to where i started, with my muscle mass lagging significantly behind, and I want the challenge. So here I go.

Starting tomorrow with 0 deviation, I will be on the GS diet. It is extreme and I expect a horrible 6-12 weeks (I will evaluate at 6wks to continue or w/e), but I'm up for it.

The 'why's are simple.
- I want the challenge
- I enjoy being lean (vanity and I just feel better/faster)
- I want to see how low I can go (BF%/BW)
- I want to see how it feels in regards to weight-cutting (fighting-related weigh-ins)

If the cut goes well, and I don't feel too weak, this might be viable as a pre-fight weight cut.

If anyone wants to suffer along with me, feel free. If you're in, let D&S know by posting your sufferings along with me in this thread.

I'm planning and prepping meals tonight. I hope to be able to log a bit here tomorrow. don't feel bad if you come late.

D0-W0 (1-22-09)

damn, i'd get on it all the way but a lot of the supplements he suggests aren't readily available here (japan, australia where i'll be back in february). things like greens +, hot rox and abs+ i've never seen in sydney or any online aussies stores.

oh well i'll do what i can (drop my kcal count to ~2000kcal and get all the supplements that i do have in, follow his macronutrient profile)

You're 6 foot 175 and you want to lose weight? How far are you planning to go? I'm probably a little taller, 180, and I don't feel like I'm near big enough to make a cut worthwhile.

Wow this is just what I needed, thx. Alot of supps but like he says you will be saving money on food.

I have too much body fat for this diet, sounds like I'd also need to buy like 8 supplements.

Maybe I'll give it a go when I'm in better shape.

For those of you who are worried about not being able to get Hot-Rox, don't sweat it. JB is the man but he is pretty tight with BioTest, so he recommends their products pretty frequently. Hot-Rox is by no means necessary for something like this; I see no reason why your preferred fat burner wouldn't work.

Gaspari Mitotropin + Ephedrine HCl FTW.

But I would definitely take his advice on the BCAA's and increased creatine intake. I followed a diet not too different from this leading up to my first fight, and it DEFINITELY leaned me out, but I didn't supplement with BCAA's, and as soon as I stopped lifting heavy I lost a bit of muscle mass as well.

If you've got the cash, Lyle McDonald's "Rapid Fat Loss Diet" is far superior to JB's diet, in my opinion.

Well it's pretty different in its approach, for sure. I haven't done either of them but I've read through both. Lyle's is a PSMF, set at about 800-1000 calories a day for bigger guys, which can last as little as 2 weeks for thinner people. It's much more extreme and potentially less healthy, and also assumes that your gym performance will be severely compromised if not written off for the duration. I think for someone looking for a slightly more gradual approach that will allow for a pretty normal existence Berardi's is a good choice.

If you've got the cash, Lyle McDonald's "Rapid Fat Loss Diet" is far superior to JB's diet, in my opinion.

"caloric intakes on this diet will come out to between 400 to 1200 calories per day coming almost exclusively from protein" . . . "a 2000 calorie per day deficit"

Holy S*#%, that should do the trick!

As anyone on here tried McDonald's version? I'm curious about how much his protocol is able to minimize muscle loss with that large a deficit.

Well it's pretty different in its approach, for sure. I haven't done either of them but I've read through both. Lyle's is a PSMF, set at about 800-1000 calories a day for bigger guys, which can last as little as 2 weeks for thinner people. It's much more extreme and potentially less healthy,

You're not including everything. Do you own the book? The protocol for athletic people (or thinner people) is different then for fatter people. It divides people up by categories. Many people here are going to be category 1 and it isn't nearly that extreme. My calculated caloric intake would be ~1,500 today. And I've done both diets. There's nothing less healthy about Lyle's approach. In fact, I think it's healthier because the refeeds are scheduled better, in my opinion, and the higher protein intakes are much better suited to preserve muscle mass.

and also assumes that your gym performance will be severely compromised if not written off for the duration. I think for someone looking for a slightly more gradual approach that will allow for a pretty normal existence Berardi's is a good choice

I can almost guarantee that RFL diet will preserve muscle more efficiently than GSD. The protein intake is way higher. The calories are debatable but they aren't necessarily that different in extremes. JB starts at 10 cals per pound but admits that some need to drop as low as 8. 8x185 (my current weight) = 1,480. RFL had me at 1,500.

Of course gym performance is going to suffer. It would on either diet and those who say it doesn't on JB's is either full of shit or not doing the diet strictly. You have to taper training back on either diet and go into a maintenance mode. You must continue to lift weights or you will lose muscle. If you taper it back like the RFL program recommends, you'll still have your strength at the end of the cycle.

In my opinion, both diets are extreme. If you're going to do an extreme diet... I'd pick the best one. Like I've said, I've actually done them both. The first time was because I wanted to drop some weight and the second time was just for the fuck of it. I'm a curious bastard like that. I've done all sorts of different diets just to see what happens.

I won't give away more about Lyles diet though because it's not fair to the author when he makes his living from book sales.

I did get results on JB's diet. I'm not denying that. I just think that Lyle's is a lot better for various reasons and I'm just throwing that opinion out there if anyone is interested in checking it out.

"caloric intakes on this diet will come out to between 400 to 1200 calories per day coming almost exclusively from protein" . . . "a 2000 calorie per day deficit"

Like I mentioned, that's for normal couch potatoes for the most part. Athletic people are handled differently.

Fair enough, Monger. I don't own the book myself, I just skimmed the e-version my friend has (he hasn't had the balls to actually do it yet). I know for myself I'd feel a lot more comfortable with a diet that allows a fair amount of fat in it, if I was to continue going to the gym at all, but i can see your point.

I understand your concern.

I just have two schools of thought when it comes to fat loss...

1. Do it slow with a mild caloric restriction in order to maintain training or performance in your sport.
2. Go balls out and get the bitch done ASAP because no one likes to diet.

Number two usually wins in my eyes every time :D I just hammer it out and move on with training.

I'll be checking out the RFLD if i have time to read anything else this semester, but I figure I shall stay the course on the GSD for these next 6-12wk.

I won't be able to order the HR, Abs+, or PD until Monday but I have everything else I need. I will just make some ECA stack for the time being maybe.

Day 1 is no problem so far. The only time I get the munchies is at night like everyone else, I suppose, and they are rare bouts.

The only part I dislike is taking BCAA all day. GHHRRRRRRRGL~!

Oh and 175lbs in the sig was from a while ago. I haven't been around to keep it updated. It's most likely around 186 right now, but some genius broke the scales at the gym where I teach.

You're 6 foot 175 and you want to lose weight? How far are you planning to go? I'm probably a little taller, 180, and I don't feel like I'm near big enough to make a cut worthwhile.

Care to respond to this, Fight_Song?

EDIT: Nevermind, I didn't read you previous post closely enough :redface:

Dammit, everybody who's posted here better go down and post in my parody thread. I put way too much thought into that for it to go to waste.

I'd skip the Abs+. It's just CLA+green tea extract. Just drink the green tea and forget about CLA.

Back