Cynthia Calvillo championship material?

Natesblackshirt

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I was starting to think she fell off but she ended up finishing Poliana with a beautiful no hooks RNC. But the real question is can she win the title and is she ready?

A title eliminator with Maycee Barber or Andrade would be great. Thoughts?

It's hard to tell. She's a good fighter with potential. She just has to stop shooting herself in the foot (failed drug test and missing weight) and she needs to grow up.

She will destroy the rest of the competition violently
<{jackyeah}>

Let's slow down on a title eliminator, she just won her first fight after a lengthy lay off. Give her someone like Karolina next.

ReliableFondGiantschnauzer-size_restricted.gif

Suarez and again and again.

It's hard to tell. She's a good fighter with potential. She just has to stop shooting herself in the foot (failed drug test and missing weight) and she needs to grow up.
Agreed, very talented but smoking pot is for digenerates. She needs to grow up if she wants to win the belt.

Let's slow down on a title eliminator, she just won her first fight after a lengthy lay off. Give her someone like Karolina next.
I agree with everything up to giving her KK next. Carvillo isn't even in the top 15 yet. Slow it down. Dern is #15, maybe give her that but to give her KK?

Cynthia landed a RNC without even using hooks she can finish Suarez ANYWHERE.
Esparza was the former champion and Suarez finished her, she also makes weight, can wrestle and doesn't seem to get in trouble smoking weed.

Esparza was the former champion and Suarez finished her, she also makes weight, can wrestle and doesn't seem to get in trouble smoking weed.
Suarez is the most dominant force in MMA outside of Khabib. She WILL win the title if she avoids Cynthia.

Agreed, very talented but smoking pot is for digenerates. She needs to grow up if she wants to win the belt.
Ehhh, I don't think pot is for degenerates but when you know it's a banned substance and you get tested regularly and you still do it shows you're lack of judgment and immaturity. Also, you're losing money.

Suarez is the most dominant force in MMA outside of Khabib. She WILL win the title if she avoids Cynthia.
1. Suarez is not the most dominant force in MMA outside of Khabib.

2. Suarez would run right through Carvillo like a hot knife through butter.

For some reason people dislike her. Maybe because her debut was on a ppv main card and the UFC subsequently hyped her up ........ actually I think Amanda Cooper was supposed to be the beneficiary until Dana did a Don King post fight.

Others dislike her because she trains at TAM, Brits dislike her because she beat Calderwood. Seems ok to me, maybe never a champ but she'll pose a challenge to champs. Oh and she beat Aspen Ladd.

For some reason people dislike her. Maybe because her debut was on a ppv main card and the UFC subsequently hyped her up ........ actually I think Amanda Cooper was supposed to be the beneficiary until Dana did a Don King post fight.

Others dislike her because she trains at TAM, Brits dislike her because she beat Calderwood. Seems ok to me, maybe never a champ but she'll pose a challenge to champs. Oh and she beat Aspen Ladd.
My only issue with her is that she tries to hard. Tries to hard to seem "hip" or "cool". Tries to hard to be cute. Tries to hard be noticed. Relax girl.

There are three quite bad fights I see for her in the division- Andrade because she’s a killer, very schooled in the ground game, aggressive and superior to Cynthia in the standup (though I feel calvillo is actually a bit underrated in that realm) and with a ton of cardio to boot.

Joanna because she’s got great takedown defense and if Calvillo can’t get that fight to the ground, she will get picked apart. Between the conditioning and the takedown defense, it would be a nightmare matchup.

And Suarez because I think Suarez is just superior in the realm where Calvillo brings the most to the table. Don’t get me wrong, calvillo strikes me as easily on the best ground game practitioners in the weight class but I think Suarez is a substantially superior wrestler (not just by credentials which is obvious but in terms of mma wrestling) and she can therefore dictate the fight.

Aside from those three, I think Cynthia is honestly capable of beating virtually anybody else in the division or at least giving them quite a tough fight like she did in her close loss to Esparza. She could lose to other upper tiers like Gadelha and KK for sure but I think she could potentially pull it off.

Rose and tecia are two other tough fights for her. Rose is obviously quite well rounded and is one of the best finishers in the division. I’m just curious how her TDD would hold up. We haven’t seen someone even attempt to take her down in the past three bouts from what I recall. If Cynthia could put her on the ground, I think it would be an exciting fight with both looking for submissions.

Tecia has the right style to win with the darting movement and good striking but Calvillo has a way of immediately changing the dynamic of the fight when it hits the ground- like how she ultra quickly put joJo in a dangerous sub-threatening position after a single takedown.

A fight vs. karate hottie or KK would be telling.

Back