Cyborg vs Evinger

I honestly think that part of it is that she wanted to test out her new skills and that she's trying to become a more composed fighter. With age, that is probably a smart thing. You can't keep going balls to the wall and bullrushing everyone forever.

More importantly though if you watch the first round again, when Cyborg was being her aggressive self and rushed in Evinger would tie her up. She even got a takedown on her for a little while. Evingers only chance to win was clinch, takedown and then top control. If she got on top of Cyborg she could actually have a chance, because her topgame is probably one of the best, if no the best, in WMMA. I think it's pretty clear that the gameplan was keep your distance and pick her apart.

And that's the problem. She doesn't have the footwork & range control to set a distance. When she tried to go for the kill in the 1st round she got tied up, when she avoided the tie-ups in the 2nd & 3rd she left herself out of position to land follow-up strikes, she'd get Evinger with a big punch or kick then be out of position to land anything after it. Contrast that with what Nunes did against Tate and Rousey, she'd land a good punch then re-adjust the range & angles after every 1-2 so that her opponent couldn't clinch her or get away. She kept her opponents on the end of her punches where she could keep hitting them with power and they couldn't do anything back to her.

If you look at any good striker they're almost always in position to land immediate follow-up strikes whenever they have an opponent hurt or knocked back a few steps like Evinger was. They don't let their opponents reset, tie up, or catch a breather after every big hit the way Cyborg did. Either Cyborg was sandbagging and screwing around or her footwork and distance management needs work. Personally I think she was screwing around to some degree, but it also let the fight go on long enough to see some poor tendencies.

And that's the problem. She doesn't have the footwork & range control to set a distance. When she tried to go for the kill in the 1st round she got tied up, when she avoided the tie-ups in the 2nd & 3rd she left herself out of position to land follow-up strikes, she'd get Evinger with a big punch or kick then be out of position to land anything after it. Contrast that with what Nunes did against Tate and Rousey, she'd land a good punch then re-adjust the range & angles after every 1-2 so that her opponent couldn't clinch her or get away. She kept her opponents on the end of her punches where she could keep hitting them with power and they couldn't do anything back to her.

If you look at any good striker they're almost always in position to land immediate follow-up strikes whenever they have an opponent hurt or knocked back a few steps like Evinger was. They don't let their opponents reset, tie up, or catch a breather after every big hit the way Cyborg did. Either Cyborg was sandbagging and screwing around or her footwork and distance management needs work. Personally I think she was screwing around to some degree, but it also let the fight go on long enough to see some poor tendencies.
I think you are being overly critical, it was nice seeing new facets to her game. Yes, she could have pushed it a little more, but so what? Technically she looked the best she ever has. How do you think Nunes would match up with Cyborg? Cyborg would likely murk her.

Photoshop, light room and make up, can confirm.

Also - she was on steroids at this point as well I believe. She had the bigger frame that she didn't have at the start of her career:
4.jpg

That's insane. I've never seen any early picture of her before. The transformation is ridiculous.

Not particularly impressed, that fight should've been over as quickly as Nunes vs. Ronda. Yes she used a bunch of head movement & feints and patiently picked her shots, but it was completely unnecessary. She kept putting herself out of position to land follow-ups whenever she landed a big shot, she'd either reset out of range or fail to keep in range, it was baffling to watch. Why bother trying to be slick against an opponent who a)sucks too much for feints to even work, b)can't even hurt anyone with strikes, and c)has zero striking defence. That fight should've looked like Nunes vs. Ronda, all but over with the first solid punch, and finished within a minute.

In a straight standup fight de Randamie beats her, she's a more efficient & refined striker who likely hits just as hard. But it's MMA so she gets taken down easily and beaten senseless on the ground. Holly either gets finished or loses a decision, she's too tentative, low accuracy, and has no power in her strikes except for her left round kick. She's not slick enough to stick Cyborg on the outside and point fight to a decision and I doubt she can land a head kick. And while Holly is hard to take down, she's a fish out of water and easy pickings if you get her on the ground.

Or...maybe she was patient to trap future opponents into fighting her (thinking she's lost a step).

{<RR}

That's insane. I've never seen any early picture of her before. The transformation is ridiculous.

Early? That's like halfway into her career already (note the Strikeforce belt).

I thought cyborg looked solid, she's certainly a well put together fighter, there's lots of things she can improve on though. I think she was head hunting excessively when she should have been punching the body, particularly with the right hook to set up the left hook upstairs.

she is using full range of tools, not leaning on her athleticism; then trying to adjust after she starts declining..im talking to you gray maynard.

u learn to use the skills while ur at ur peak or close to it, so that when guys catch up w/u; u have the skills poise awareness to manage the tough spots and make up for the loss of physical adv

Back