Cyborg sparring Claressa Shields-Wasted Movement

cshireman4

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2017/6/...p-claressa-shields-twitter-olympian-wmma-news

In watching Cris Cyborg spar with 2012 Olympic gold medalist and current North American Boxing Federation middleweight champion Claressa Shields, it occurred to me how much wasted movement was in Cyborg's striking. This is something I'm a bit guilty of myself, so I was wondering if anyone had some insights on common forms of wasted movement(s) and corrective actions to take for improvement. Thoughts?

It is worsened by the fact that she is fighting one of the best female boxers in the world and one of the biggest talents in female boxing there ever was. Shields is always a step ahead of her and timign the shit out of her so it's hard not the be twitchy

The video was really just a reference and wasn't intended to be a critique of Cyborg. I have the same issue as you have outlined, fighting more skilled opponents leading to (even more) unnecessary movement. I was really just wanting some feedback on how to minimize this, as it often compounds the issue and I do even worse in sparring. Just more rounds and narrowing the gap in skill level or are there any particular ways to go about attacking this problem if you are aware that it exists?

It is experience and confidence based imo. And perfect fundamendals. The boxer had some pretty solid skills.

Haven't even watched the video yet (I will though shortly), but I really focus on how much I move my rear leg. I try to keep my legs together. Like a real boy........(#pinochio voice?)

Shields did great versus a man!

Respect!

Back