Cyborg all of a sudden seems fine with facing a 135lber...

we need yet another shit wmma fight to 'save' a card?
Looks like we do. Most high profile fighters don’t do short notice fights, but since Cyborg stepped up, they were able to save the card.

Of course we can think of more intriguing fights than this, but this was obviously the only fighter willing to risk it..

she saved the card with a short notice fightand she wanted to build the division but that does not seem to be what the ufc wants.

Her best challenges ATM are at 135 anyhow.

What happened to the impassioned speech about building a division, opponents having to fight ranked fighters in the 145lb division before facing her, not fighting against natural 135lbers etc?

Now that she's not facing Nunes but instead the unknown Kunitskaya all these concerns have miraculously vanished. How does it make any logical sense to think it's ok to fight a unknown 135lber who recently lost to Tonya Evinger but be all up in arms about facing the 135lb UFC champion.

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and sounds like a duck - it's most probably a duck
11b35e77e0488ceb590434e3d10944a73969aff.gif

Cyborg would be a lot easier to like if she didn't always try to get the easy fights despite clearly being the baddest woman on the planet. She should be calling out the best fighters and big fighters in other discipilines. WMMA pays a hell of a lot better than most women's combat sports these days.

Nothing really stops these other women fighters from signing up with the UFC, other than themselves....who know that they'll get demolished in MMA. Dana "Mr. Clean" White would jump on such an interest. Look at how fast Germaine De Randamie ran....she immediately made an excuse about breaking her hand to Rogan during the post fight interview vs. Holm. That was under 1 minute after having the belt put on her.

Cyborg is a pretty good draw, And has a lot of fans/haters And casuals that Are interested. I am sure the card will do better than several other UFC cards. I agree it is not the best ppv, but it will do.

I am not following WMMA, but I do like a good Cyborg fight.
Would you buy a card to see Cyborg headline?

What is all this talk about "save the card"?? How is she saving the card exactly - by fighting a nobody?? How very noble of her.
If you consider the card "saved" just because it now has Cyborg v Kunitskaya as the main event then you must be really easy to please.
The UFC obviously believes she is able to hold a main event by herself. She did pull one of the highest ppv Numbers of the year vs Holly, so it is quite interesting to see how she will do alone.

I don’t watch WMMA in general, but I enjoy a good Cyborg beatdown - so Yes, I guess I am easy to please.

She gets what she's been given.

She should really leave the UFC at the end of her contract they are not doing right by her at all.

Exactly.

Those 500k paychecks, a big promotional push, giving her cans for title defenses is absolutely terrible treatment.

She should go to RIZIN with her bff, see if there are smaller Japanese grandmas for her to beat on.

Would you buy a card to see Cyborg headline?
Sure. I would rather see a cyborg fight than any other WMMA fight or male flw fight... but I have found Cyborg quite interesting since the Gina fight.

Short notice but shit matchmaking. Another WMMA fight where top ranked fighter gets UFC nobody - think Shevchenko. Since Joe Silva gone and WME taken over there have been some seriously questionable matchups. Don't blame Cyborg. Picture this, your sitting home, phone rings, some guy says you want $200k. Uh no thanks that sounds too easy, I'll just stay home. THIS is A JOB, get paid.

Plus the PPV buys. That's at least 1 point for a headlining, Title fight. The PPV buys vs. Holm was 340k-380k. Even if it only reaches 250k, that can be $250k more in her pocket. What if it's a 1.5 or even 2pt bonus. Talk about easy money to beat the hell out of some Invicta chick.

What is all this talk about "save the card"?? How is she saving the card exactly - by fighting a nobody?? How very noble of her.
If you consider the card "saved" just because it now has Cyborg v Kunitskaya as the main event then you must be really easy to please.

The UFC decided this was the best matchup they could make to save the card and Cyborg accepted. Don't blame this on her. She's doing the UFC a favor and playing nice.

It's not about pleasing us it's about numbers. Cyborg had the third biggest ppv of 2017 and the UFC are betting she brings more eyes than Edgar v. Ortega, which is a fairly safe bet.

Exactly.

Those 500k paychecks, a big promotional push, giving her cans for title defenses is absolutely terrible treatment.

She should go to RIZIN with her bff, see if there are smaller Japanese grandmas for her to beat on.

Dipshit, did you ever think that it was Nunes who didn't want to fight her that early at UFC 222 on March 3rd? And this Yana Kunitskaya was the only one who dared?

Cyborg even said that she still wants to fight Nunes in July at UFC 226.

“Guys, Max Holloway got hurt and UFC 222 was in need of help. I am just doing my job. I'm always training… why not? See at UFC 222. I did this for the team,” she wrote in an Instagram story.

“Amanda, don't worry, you have girls coming for you, like Cat Zingano and Ketlen Vieira, and our fight is still on the table for July.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/cris-cyborg-indicates-amanda-nunes-fight-still-tap-214854413--mma.html

What happened with Nunes?

Dipshit, did you ever think that it was Nunes who didn't want to fight her that early at UFC 222 on March 3rd? And this Yana Kunitskaya was the only one who dared?

Cyborg even said that she still wants to fight Nunes in July at UFC 226.

“Guys, Max Holloway got hurt and UFC 222 was in need of help. I am just doing my job. I'm always training… why not? See at UFC 222. I did this for the team,” she wrote in an Instagram story.

“Amanda, don't worry, you have girls coming for you, like Cat Zingano and Ketlen Vieira, and our fight is still on the table for July.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/cris-cyborg-indicates-amanda-nunes-fight-still-tap-214854413--mma.html

So the UFC isn't treating her badly as the post I responded to alleged?

Glad we agree.

Nothing really stops these other women fighters from signing up with the UFC, other than themselves....who know that they'll get demolished in MMA. Dana "Mr. Clean" White would jump on such an interest. Look at how fast Germaine De Randamie ran....she immediately made an excuse about breaking her hand to Rogan during the post fight interview vs. Holm. That was under 1 minute after having the belt put on her.
The 145lb weight limit stops many women.

Back