Cutting weight is for pussies?

um okay. I agree that its ridiculous, doesn't mean that it's for pussies.
I never said for pussies. It's just currently how the game is being played.

Hate the game not the player.

It is dumb and hurts the sport. Instead of having fighters that are in peak condition, you are having fighters that are in recovery mode from make a big weight cut.
Bingo.

Fighters aren't even competing at peak condition.

I want the best version of the fighters to fight. Not the lightest version.

Yes, it's for pussies. That shouldn't even be contested.

The UFC needs to start weighing guys the night of the fight, that way if they aren't entering that goddamn cage at whatever weight division the fight is meant to be at, the fight is off.
I've always liked the idea of get on the scale then get into the cage

its necessary though if there are to be divisions and champions.

its necessary though if there are to be divisions and champions.

How is weight cutting necessary in order to organize fighters into weight classes? If you weight between 156 and 169 pounds, you're in a weight class...and so on.

I've always liked the idea of get on the scale then get into the cage

Officially, I think they should weigh 'em in backstage right when their fight is scheduled to go on next, that way if they miss weight and the fight gets called off, they don't have to waste everyone's time by making the long walk to the cage before they do it.

These guys are fighting fo a living, you need to win to make $, nobody trying to fight bigger guys just so some random idiot on Sherdog can respect him.

Personally I think that someone who thinks “weight cutting is for sissies” is someone who’s never cut weight before.

I can understand weighing 182 normally and cutting to 170 pounds. That's fine to me.

But with the number of guys that are walking around 2 weight classes above what they did is ridiculous to me. We have FWs that weigh more than 180 pounds FFS. (Holloway, Oretega and Stephens.)

Please someone force hydration monitoring.

You realize the guys walking around 2 weight classes higher are out of shape & carrying alot of fat that they would never carry into the octagon right? The same guys who out of camp weight is 180lbs@15%bf, are the same guys who are 160lbs@8% bodyfat & then cut 15lbs of water during fight week. Very few people walk around 8-10% bodyfat because it's too hard to maintain & your diet would be insufferable.

How is weight cutting necessary in order to organize fighters into weight classes? If you weight between 156 and 169 pounds, you're in a weight class...and so on.
so if fighter A walks around at 157 and has to face fighter B that walks around at 168 fighter A just needs to suck it up and fight the naturally heavier man?

wont ever happen, you'll have fighters avoiding fights all the time due to size differences

giphy.gif

Yes it’s a bit of bitch motive and very antiquated. Fewer weight classes not more.

When you're cutting so much weight that you're no longer in opitmal fight shape it's ridiculous.

We've got LWs that rehydrate to 185 pounds FFS.

It's not possible to rehydrate to 185lbs from 155, stop believing nonsense that fighters claim. Fighters are cutting closer to 5-15lbs of water during fight week & after eating+drinking they put on a extra 3-4lbs, so they blow up closer to 10-20lbs from the weigh in. To weigh in 185lbs on fight night means they would be cutting 27lbs of water during fight week(they probably would die b4 that happens) & this is after dieting down about 10-20lbs during their 8-12 week camp. As i said, stop believing the nonsense some of these guys claim.

Not necessarily. The only ones I take issue with are the guys that are just massive like Jon jones and Holloway even though I like max. They are just so much bigger than everyone else. Like in the jones fights, smaller guys like vitor and DC can barely even reach him and yet they still landed a few shots. Imagine if they were the same size. Also notice how guys like hendo, Frankie and sakuraba get so much love for fighting guys bigger than themselves

Not necessarily. The only ones I take issue with are the guys that are just massive like Jon jones and Holloway even though I like max. They are just so much bigger than everyone else. Like in the jones fights, smaller guys like vitor and DC can barely even reach him and yet they still landed a few shots. Imagine if they were the same size. Also notice how guys like hendo, Frankie and sakuraba get so much love for fighting guys bigger than themselves

sometime's it's more of a frame advantage as opposed to just a weight advantage.

Jones can be more massive, imposing, and stronger than a lot of opponents that weigh as much as him because of the way that his body structured.

It’s also a pussy move to train, like, what, afraid they would get beat up if they didn’t practice? What sissies

You realize the guys walking around 2 weight classes higher are out of shape & carrying alot of fat that they would never carry into the octagon right? The same guys who out of camp weight is 180lbs@15%bf, are the same guys who are 160lbs@8% bodyfat & then cut 15lbs of water during fight week. Very few people walk around 8-10% bodyfat because it's too hard to maintain & your diet would be insufferable.
They're not out of shape. They are killing themselves to make a lower weight. They'd perform much better closer to their natural weight.
It's not possible to rehydrate to 185lbs from 155, stop believing nonsense that fighters claim. Fighters are cutting closer to 5-15lbs of water during fight week & after eating+drinking they put on a extra 3-4lbs, so they blow up closer to 10-20lbs from the weigh in. To weigh in 185lbs on fight night means they would be cutting 27lbs of water during fight week(they probably would die b4 that happens) & this is after dieting down about 10-20lbs during their 8-12 week camp. As i said, stop believing the nonsense some of these guys claim.
Kevin Lee weighed 186 pounds against Ferguson. I'm going to believe Kevin Lee about Kevin Lee's weight or some random guy on Sherdog? (No offense meant). DHK weighed 197 pounds the morning after weighing in at 170. And I saw the man on the scale. It was in kg and the conversion put him at 197.
No FW is close to 180LB IN SHAPE!
Define in shape? Because almost no FW actually fights at 145 pounds. They're all over 160 by fight time. So they're not in shape at 145.

They're not out of shape. They are killing themselves to make a lower weight. They'd perform much better closer to their natural weight.

Kevin Lee weighed 186 pounds against Ferguson. I'm going to believe Kevin Lee about Kevin Lee's weight or some random guy on Sherdog? (No offense meant). DHK weighed 197 pounds the morning after weighing in at 170. And I saw the man on the scale. It was in kg and the conversion put him at 197.

Define in shape? Because almost no FW actually fights at 145 pounds. They're all over 160 by fight time. So they're not in shape at 145.

When i say in shape, i mean at the weight when they're at their quickest, most explosive, best cardio & lean(low bf).

Kevin Lee also claimed to be 4% bodyfat vs Barboza, the guy would be getting carried out on a stretcher after a few hours being that low, so yea go ahead & believe his claim that he was 186lbs on fight night vs Ferguson. If i remember correctly, he told media that he was 172lbs on fight night & had 17lbs of water to cut, so no way he rehydrates 14lbs on top of his fight week weight, that doesn't make any sense.

Back