Cutting through the smoke: Re: Conor

Floyd will be kod within 4 rounds . Nate is stuck in the mud , he's skinny fat. They all turn into panic wrestlers when they fight me. Oh the irony .
It goes the right way a lot more than it goes the wrong way.

all-the-belts-jpg.165323

He's interesting when he's in the cage, but I don't care about the hoopla outside of it. It's been a year since his last MMA fight, and he chose to fight in the boxing ring for a huge payday. And I can't fault him for doing so, but now he may be on the shelf for an additional 6 months. The UFC obviously loves him because of what he brings, but people will watch his fights whether he's holding a belt or not. I don't think it would have any impact on his popularity if they let the divisions move on until he's able to fight again. If he's in it for the paydays and big fights, it won't have any real impact on his legacy.

Exactly what leverage does Conor have? He's under contract.

The UFC can offer him a couple of fights a year, and as long as they satisfy the terms of the contract, he'll be with them indefinitely if he just refuses them.

Conor is a star but he's a tiny piece of a huge pie. The UFC runs so many events they need him a lot less than he needs them.
I'm assuming that you meant to write, he needs them a lot less than they need him since you were questioning his leverage. I don't think that anyone believes the UFC will go out of business without Conor...but in light of the loan they have to repay..and the difference in there business this year vs last year where Conor fought 3 times..and all three times are in the top 5 of their all time ppvs..I think it's pretty safe to say he is a pretty big piece of the current pie love him or hate him. Numbers don't lie.

He doesn't "need" the UFC... or MMA.

After making 100 mill on top of the 10 mill per fight he's been making, he would be fine retiring... which he can legally do... mid contract... as long as he doesn't fight for anyone else ever.

His leverage is "should I stay or should I go."

Now that said... I feel it's Conor's goal to finish out his remaining 5 fights left on his contract so that he can be "a free man." That however, might not be as much of a concern as I maybe think it is. He can legit just walk off right now & the UFC can suck it with their tree fiddy PPV's or they can play ball & get their cash cow to keep giving milk.

He's poised to make a lot more money.

If he insists on a much bigger cut, maybe they call his bluff. I don't know. If they do and he walks, they make less money, he makes nothing (relative to fighting I am assuming his other ventures are minuscule).

If he insists on a much bigger cut, maybe they call his bluff. I don't know. If they do and he walks, they make less money, he makes nothing (relative to fighting I am assuming his other ventures are minuscule).
Yup he's locked up 4 more fights he owes them and can't do shit athletically speaking w/o permission. He doesn't have as much leverage as conor fans think. Certainly they are not gonna give ownership as it sets a bad precedent - then any popular fighter will and in 20 years fighters own UFC

I hear ya... but he doesn't "need" more money. He is aware of this as well.

It's a matter of if he "wants" to make money.

The UFC "needs" to make money. Their stock price "must" go up. Likely the new 2018 domestic TV deal will rock them above 2017, even if they have another crap PPV year like this year... but then after that, they're gonna have to start producing some content.

Hmmm.... maybe that's why they're delaying the mac fights. The idea of a stock is to show consistent growth... so you don't want to blow it out of the water one year & have an impossible to reach threshold to meet the following year. They've all ready said they're in the positive growth this year... & next year will be boosted by the new tv deal... so no reason to have 3 mac fights next year.

I dunno, just a thought. It's not like they can't squash profits by opening up more UFC gyms or something... but if they only got Mac for 5 more fights, maybe they want to bank them for 2019 when they won't have such a tremendous growth potential as they do in 2018.

I hear ya... but he doesn't "need" more money. He is aware of this as well.

It's a matter of if he "wants" to make money.

The UFC "needs" to make money. Their stock price "must" go up. Likely the new 2018 domestic TV deal will rock them above 2017, even if they have another crap PPV year like this year... but then after that, they're gonna have to start producing some content.

Hmmm.... maybe that's why they're delaying the mac fights. The idea of a stock is to show consistent growth... so you don't want to blow it out of the water one year & have an impossible to reach threshold to meet the following year. They've all ready said they're in the positive growth this year... & next year will be boosted by the new tv deal... so no reason to have 3 mac fights next year.

I dunno, just a thought. It's not like they can't squash profits by opening up more UFC gyms or something... but if they only got Mac for 5 more fights, maybe they want to bank them for 2019 when they won't have such a tremendous growth potential as they do in 2018.

I can't even imagine risking brain damage if I had Conor money.

I can't even imagine risking brain damage if I had Conor money.
I'm with you... & interestingly, Conor is pretty outspoken about that as well... so again it comes back to what leverage Conor has against the UFC in negotiations even though he's under contract.

Conor might be completely satisfied with never having to fight again. Maybe he just casually throws it out there that he will step back in the ring if they play ball... but on the real, he might be 100% satisfied with backing out.

That's his power.

He'd be stuck under the UFC contract for life... but hey... if he's worried about brain damage anywayz... that's a good thing yeah? It would be motivation not to risk it.

lol

"I think GSP gets his ass whooped by Bisping," and "let's see how the LW title picture shapes up". Hey, stupid, you have the LW belt and there's guy with a interim belt on a 10 fight win streak and another guy who's 24-0. What the hell would have to happen before deciding it's shaped up enough?
You've answered your own question. There are 2 challengers (khabib and tony). Tony had to beat the #7 guy to win the belt. Tony has only fought once since Conor won the belt. Khabib has fought zero times. Hardly active.

You've answered your own question. There are 2 challengers (khabib and tony). Tony had to beat the #7 guy to win the belt. Tony has only fought once since Conor won the belt. Khabib has fought zero times. Hardly active.
Tony beat RDA and Barboza before that. They're waiting for the phony champ to actually take a fight. Are they supposed to clear out the entire top 10 before fighting for the acyual belt?

Tony beat RDA and Barboza before that. They're waiting for the phony champ to actually take a fight. Are they supposed to clear out the entire top 10 before fighting for the acyual belt?
RDA is Tony's only top 5 win. No but if there isn't a clear top contender fighters/fans whinge. If Conor fought Tony then Khabib and his fans complain and say he was the rightful contender and vice versa. Now that Tony has finally fought and has a belt it is clear who Conor should fight.

If he is in negotiations with the UFC why would he call out Tony and reduce his bargaining power? Once he has a deal set then he goes into promoting overdrive. Business 101

RDA is Tony's only top 5 win. No but if there isn't a clear top contender fighters/fans whinge. If Conor fought Tony then Khabib and his fans complain and say he was the rightful contender and vice versa. Now that Tony has finally fought and has a belt it is clear who Conor should fight.

If he is in negotiations with the UFC why would he call out Tony and reduce his bargaining power? Once he has a deal set then he goes into promoting overdrive. Business 101
Yeah, he should fight both. He's already under contract. What other fighter has had to go on 10 fight win streaks before a title shot?

I've searched and have had little success in finding credible examples of what Conor McGregor himself has said regarding his intentions related to the future of his mixed martial arts career.

What has the man himself said his plans are? Has he commented on what return to the UFC he'd like to have? Who he wants to face? What weightclass he'd prefer to compete at?

I'm not interested in Conor bashing...I am sincerely interested in finding out what, if we can, is going on in the man's mind? I know there are mma fans who follow him very closely and I'm hoping you can use some of what you've seen to clear things up for the rest of us.

#KeepItCleanGuys
took cut the cheese and ran

Last edited:
Conor should open up a burger joint

Back