custom gi

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Discussion' started by flikerstance, Jan 10, 2017.

1. flikerstance floridaman

flikerstance
    has anyone here ever made there own gi? was curious how much it would cost a few of guys from my gym want to get into making them for the academy i own one of the women can sew ok and was wondering how hard it is or if there's any instructional s on what types of fabric to use and cheapest place to buy material in bulk

2. scarphe White Belt

scarphe
    I do not use gis but i know about sowing. Besides the particular cloth you will definitely need more than your standard sowing machine. At thevery least an over but i would say something bigger to give you the stitching you need

3. flikerstance floridaman

flikerstance
    i heard u can make gis for around 5 dollars if u do it yourself i wana buy something to make custom shirts shorts rashguards and gi patches i guess a printing press or heat press idk then make own gis too i really need advice as i own my own gym and id love to have a small company doing gear as well

4. iFossil Orange Belt

iFossil
    Yeah I get you, the gym I used to work for tried to do that, spent like couple grands buying those machines. I don't know much about the process on how to use those machines or make custom apparel though, 'cause I was only working there to assist-coaching, wasn't too involved in the marketing/management side of it.

But what I know is they ended up selling those machines again, because it was never worth it, not cost effective, too troublesome and the quality was never able to match some actual experience and cheaply priced companies from the like of China, India, Pakistan etc who run actual factories. Main reason I heard was, because those machines needed time to warm up or something, so you had to either spend few days non-stop without sleep to manually make a big batch of gi/rashguard/mma shorts and never use those machine again. Or keep going through the troubles of starting up the machine, setting up the program, materials each time to make only 1 or 2 gi/rashguard/mma shorts etc. Especially if you don't do it everyday, it takes way longer than it should to make something. My head coach started off really passionate, but when there were classes, trainings, fights going on everyday, just neither of the coaches worked there had the kind of time/patience doing it at the end.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  5. flikerstance floridaman

flikerstance
    uh ohh well i was hoping to just make enough for my gym maybe 50 gis and 200 shirts hoody's shorts hopefully i could get a cheap printer off amazon for it i wana have high quality shirts like rvca comfy shirts where to buy in bulk online

6. iFossil Orange Belt

iFossil
    Yeah, my old gym had over 500 members too, so pretty much aiming for that amount if not more. It's just when you are doing it manually it could be tiring and very time consuming. But whatever man, maybe you have the heart for it, good luck!