Curtis Blaydes believes UFC doesn't want him as heavyweight champ, weighs in on Brock Lesnar.

To me the ufc is going with the money fight to help the division and the sort out a #1 contender. There's no guy i can point to and say 100 percent it should be him next. Volkov, blaydes, and black beast all have a claim imo. People like to count out bb but he did just beat the last contender even if the fight itself was shit.

He's both right and wrong. Right in that he won't lose his shot whenever it does come and wrong in that... well you need to make money somehow.

Tired of all the entitlement in MMA but not a surprise when no one actually has to earn a title shot.

dude needs to cool his jets, seems like a lot of these fighters today especially the newer ones are entitled
before that win streak was what you needed to crack the top 10-15 much less get a ts, as long as he keeps winning he will get the shot its not like HW is stacked anyway

I’m not going to go do research, but I’m betting a streak like Blaydes has put together is fairly rare at heavyweight.

Blaydes lacks charisma. You can fight boring and efficient like GSP for example and nobody cared.

To be sponsored by the UFC you have to be somewhat marketable. Stipe didn't get much support for similar reasons.

Another fighter sitting out and clogging divisions. This is so common. You guys wonder why UFC has been getting stale lately? The top 5 of the division will wait for one championship fight if they get a win. Then the audience forgets about the fighter and their win. The champs sit out for more money. The bottom division has no opportunity to move up because top 5 is sitting out. We end up with a slow mess of a division. Look at lhw.

Heavyweight was so stale for years and finally theres a few interesting contenders and UFC wants to put on a shit show. No reason why Lesnar wont end up in ththe same situation as the Cain fight.

Another fighter sitting out and clogging divisions. This is so common. You guys wonder why UFC has been getting stale lately? The top 5 of the division will wait for one championship fight if they get a win. Then the audience forgets about the fighter and their win. The champs sit out for more money. The bottom division has no opportunity to move up because top 5 is sitting out. We end up with a slow mess of a division. Look at lhw.

That's what happens when you pay these guys peanuts.

At this point, the 27-year-old Blaydes (10-1 MMA, 5-1 UFC) isn’t sure what he’ll do. But on the pros-and-cons list of taking a fight, octagon history is filed under con.

“I remember a situation a few years ago when ‘Jacare’ (Souza), at middleweight, was in the exact same position I was in, and he had an option to wait or take another fight,” Blaydes told MMAjunkie Radio on Wednesday. “He decided to do the latter. He took another fight, against Yoel Romero, and he lost a tight split decision (at UFC 194). And he hasn’t sniffed the title since that day. So it’s something that I’ve been thinking about, too.”

“I feel like I deserve a title shot, based off my last couple of fights,” Blaydes said.

But he also believes that, with all this money on the line, “that doesn’t really mean anything to the UFC.”

“It’s pretty much a foregone conclusion, the (Cormier-Lesnar) fight is going to happen,” Blaydes said. “And I’ve already accepted it.”

“I’m willing to wait, because I have this feeling that the UFC – they don’t really want me to have the belt,” Blaydes said. “Because I don’t have the most exciting – my style isn’t the most fan-friendly. So I feel they would take every opportunity to not give me a title shot because they know my wrestling is the x-factor. If I have to, I will just take a guy down and ground and pound him for three rounds. Which, they’re right, is not the most exciting version of fighting. But it is the most effective, especially going against the heavyweights I have to go against. …

“So me taking another opponent and me winning, I don’t think they would even care about that. I feel like even if I called out Stipe (Miocic) and I won, they would probably give it to Cain Velasquez or, who knows, maybe even Jon Jones or maybe Junior Dos Santos. There’s so many other guys that I know the UFC would rather have as champion of the heavyweights.”

“I’m always going to do what I do best,” Blaydes said. “If the UFC doesn’t like it, or if the fans don’t like it, I guess the only option is for them to release me. Because I’m going to keep doing what I have to do to win. I’m not going to risk brain injuries to put on a show for people I don’t know.

“I feel like what happened to (featherweight champion) Max Holloway is what happens when you like to stand and bang. He had to pull out of UFC 226 due to concussion-like symptoms. I just feel like people don’t want to address it, but I’ve had this discussion with my coaches, with my roommates, other fighters. I think that’s a direct result of all the wars he’s had, all the heavy hits he’s eaten.”

https://mmajunkie.com/2018/07/curti...esnar-situation/amp?__twitter_impression=true

While he got a point (his style is not fan-friendly), I disagree with this waiting crap.
If you think you can beat all HW's, you should keep fighting.

Because while it is true that every fight he has a chance of losing his title shot, he is going the wrong way about it.
Because if he sits and waits for half a year while other top contenders fight, they WILL leapfrog him IMHO.
And then he will use the excuse that the UFC is doing this because they prefer someone else when it will not be true.

If he continues fighting and winning, there's no way anyone will pass him. But sit and wait? Well, don't complain later someone else got the title shot.

Because AFAIK, he is not even locked for Top contender yet...

He needs the Colby approach, he's wrong about his style, Colby Has the same style and is a much bigger draw

The thing is that he isn't a clear #1 contender, Volkov is there and Miocic have case for a rematch too but I like his attitude, I don't like him very much but is good is getting the smart approach in this situation.

Wait for a TS also worked for Woodley so who knows, he might get it in the future

100% agree -- Volkov is a strong contender. I think we should see Blaydes vs Volkov, and the winner fights for the title after DC/Lesnar.

Wow, you summarized that very well.

I never thought of it in that context -- I obviously knew that champs and #1 contenders would sit out for a while, but you're right. It seems like everyone in the top 5 starts demanding a title shot and sitting out with a win. And, as you said, then the #6-15 guys have basically no chance to move up in the rankings.

By the time a title fight actually materializes, neither guy has fought in 6-12 months so the fans don't care as much.

I don't like when fighters like him talk with this entitlement mindset. He sounds like he wants the easy road. From a business standpoint, he should be tested more before the UFC invest in him.

He honestly hasn't done enough in my eyes to get the shot

Well he’s definitely got some guys ahead of him for a title shot, I’d suggest he ask for the rematch with Francis first, a win there could put him in title contender talks.

He easily destroys Volkov and Lewis.

Let's see him doing that first. If he beats either guy nobody will deny he deserves the TS shot.

I agree with Blaydes' remarks but the reality is also he is not the clear-cut #1 contender. Stipe, Volkov and Lewis have at least as a strong a claim as Curtis does atm.

it-may-have-escaped-your-notice-but-life-isnt-fair.jpg

Last thing they want is a wrestler with a stutter to be the champ. that overeem knock out was fuckin brutal though

Back